everyone in who takes/took bio and chem a level

Watch
lizzie.zipmouth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
what are the hardest topics? i want to do a bit of reading before next year so i know what to expect! thank you, it would mean so much if you could reply
rxyaltyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
chem is pretty hard
physics and maths is very hard
Bibster23
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my friends who did physics are struggling the most, also maths yes
John Wick11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Bio - it’s not difficult, just an enormous amount of diverse facts to remember.

Chem - the physical side is a chore, but I guess manageable with enough practice. The organic chem is similar to bio, just lots of things to commit to memory.
lizzie.zipmouth
Rep:
?
(Original post by rxyaltyx)
chem is pretty hard
physics and maths is very hard
(Original post by Bibster23)
my friends who did physics are struggling the most, also maths yes
(Original post by John Wick11)

Chem - the physical side is a chore, but I guess manageable with enough practice. The organic chem is similar to bio, just lots of things to commit to memory.
Ohhhhhh noooo guys i meant the hardest topics WITHIN Biology and Chemistry because I'm not getting a lot of work from my college so it would be great to understand the trickier topics within those subjects so I'm not behind (I should have been clearer lol)
lizzie.zipmouth
Rep:
?

thank you! that's very helpful
macy_m
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
good luck to you from september onwards, ive picked both and will start them in september, I haven't been told the nicest things about them :K:
John Wick11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you know which exam board you’re gonna take, you can always download the subject spec to have a browse through
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s really dependant, everyone is different. For chemistry in my class, everyone found organic pathways hard because there’s a lot to remember- that was the easier part of chemistry for me. I’d say if I had to make a list of what I and others found the hardest I’d say:
Organic pathways
Transition Metals
NMR
Acids & Bases
Equilibrium

I didn’t do biology so I can’t say anything on that. At the end of the day, everyone is different. Half of my class (including me) did maths and so acids and bases was easy peasy, other people who didn’t tended to find it hard. I was the best in my class at organic pathways, everyone else got stuck, forgot, got them mixed up or plain just didn’t know. Some people think transition metals is the easier part of inorganic, others really struggle. You can only know when you get there. It’s about what’s hard for you.
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I disagree with the bio and organic chem. It seems like that but if you are aiming for higher grades, you need a deeper understanding of the content so that you can apply it to harder questions in the exam. Of course, it is partly memory, but if you want to achieve a high grade then you need to do more than memorise.
Student Roost - Bath
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Lizzie.zipmouth!

I struggled the most with the transition metals' reactions, while a lot of people found the equilibrium module to be the hardest. There also seemed to be a big organic/inorganic bias among people, so it probably depends on your strengths.

In biology, most of us found the energy processes (respiration/photosynthesis) module to be the hardest, as there are a lot of cycles involved. Of course, your exam board might be different, so you could always check the specification and see if there's anything in there that you don't recognise.

I hope that this helps!
-Lizzy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (8)
4.85%
Confident (14)
8.48%
Indifferent (16)
9.7%
Unsure (40)
24.24%
Worried (87)
52.73%

Watched Threads