Would you date someone that lives in a different continent/country to you?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Would you date someone that lives in a different continent/country to you? Why and why not?
unknownalienn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends how far they are. If they live somewhere like the other side of the planet then I know that I won’t be able to see them that easily in person so probably not.
If they live closer, it would be easier for me to go and visit them and vice versa
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Would you date someone that lives in a different continent/country to you? Why and why not?
The person needs to live 2 hours away [absolute max]
and it mustn't cost an arm and a leg for me to get there.

around £10 cost to visit them and return home is my limit

I guess if I accidently met someone who lived a bit further, I might give it a try..., but generally no ... a LDR is not something i'd look to get into.

dating someone living in London is something I'd not look for due to travel costs, but if i got a car the costs would be within my limit [fuel]
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no. long distance relationships never worked for me. i gave up on them as a whole. i've tried them and they never worked. most of them were in the UK. one in italy and one in iraq. it never worked out. the one in italy barely spoke english. i have to see them in person in order to date them. bc you never know how they really are in person. they could be catfishing their personality. so yeah naww. :/
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sure.

But there needs to be the realistic prospect that at least one of us would move.
If you have that it's then a case of who you are dating that counts. And not where they are currently.
Last edited by Dunnig Kruger; 1 week ago
Truflais
Report 1 week ago
Now? No. Did it when I was 16 though, London to Glasgow. Then moved to Glasgow when I was 18, it wouldn't have worked otherwise. LDR only works if you have plans of moving closer to each other in the near future imo.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is this the same bloke who was talking to that woman in Mexico?
Truflais
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
in that case, say goodbye to your kidneys OP.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Truflais)
Now? No. Did it when I was 16 though, London to Glasgow. Then moved to Glasgow when I was 18, it wouldn't have worked otherwise. LDR only works if you have plans of moving closer to each other in the near future imo.
What if you met someone in London who was willing to move to Glasgow?
Truflais
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ANM775)
What if you met someone in London who was willing to move to Glasgow?
I wouldn't really want someone moving here JUST for me tbh. And it would have to be LDR for a while at least, and I really have no time/enthusiasm for it now. It's very expensive and emotionally draining for the most part.
Morgania
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I once met a man who is in an American university and I am in A level in the UK. We both come from another country other than the USA and the UK, and due to the closing of school in both countries, we now go back to our own hometown. He once said that if I would agree to be her girlfriend he would give up everything he has in the USA, and come to the UK to be with me. I don't know what others will feel, but I feel scared by it, just like rejecting him is actually a salvage to his life. He has a very promising future in the USA and he should not do anything like that at all.
In a long distance relationship, I would feel frustrated if I cannot see my partner easily. While if the partner would like to give everything up to come with me in the UK I feel scared and even guilty about how I impacted his life. So I would say I wouldn't go for a LDR.
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He what?!
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FRS500)
He what?!
There was this guy on here a couple of days ago asking very similar questions except he actually said that this woman was in Mexico, and he'd only ever had brief conversations with her on the phone, yet he was still fully willing to fly to Mexico to meet her, it was some real 90 Day Fianceé **** tbh
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i've done it before wouldnt do it again
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There was this guy on here a couple of days ago asking very similar questions except he actually said that this woman was in Mexico, and he'd only ever had brief conversations with her on the phone, yet he was still fully willing to fly to Mexico to meet her, it was some real 90 Day Fianceé **** tbh
I can't believe this site sometimes. People are honestly crazy
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FRS500)
I can't believe this site sometimes. People are honestly crazy
Yep, I prefer to assume on good faith that it's all ******** and those who make those threads aren't being genuine, much more beneficial for my sanity and wider faith in humanity
username5301604
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:dontknow:
Hannah0505
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If ive met them before and theyre willing to visit often then why not
ThiagoBrigido
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're going to Cancun and it is part of the Holliday itinerary, I don't see why not..
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn't date someone I have never met in person... but that doesn't mean a relationship wouldn't be possible for one to form after you meet up.

My wife and me are from different continents.. its fine because right from dating we committed to always being together, no matter which continent that needs to be in. We have lived now in both at different times, but always together. I couldn't imagine trying to do the relationship and not being together.. eventually it would fail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (5)
4.55%
Confident (10)
9.09%
Indifferent (13)
11.82%
Unsure (25)
22.73%
Worried (57)
51.82%

Watched Threads