Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
can
Anonymous #1
Can anyone tell me if the onedrive storage given to students by their university is good to use? Can the uni access what you save into it?
Abzzz57
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Can anyone tell me if the onedrive storage given to students by their university is good to use? Can the uni access what you save into it?
Hi, I personally haven't used it yet but I think it's pretty safe, I doubt the uni can access it but if in doubt only save your work or websites that you don't mind them seeing.. unless a flagged word came up I doubt they will check everybody's storage..
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Abzzz57)
Hi, I personally haven't used it yet but I think it's pretty safe, I doubt the uni can access it but if in doubt only save your work or websites that you don't mind them seeing.. unless a flagged word came up I doubt they will check everybody's storage..
Ok, thx
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Abzzz57)
If it's part of the university's Microsoft tenancy, the university will almost certainly be able to access it. That said, no one is going to be looking at what's there without good reason. Take a look at the university's computer use regulations -- it's likely that there will be some reference to "personal use" and what is/is not considered acceptable on that front. Also note that the rules that apply to students may be different to what applies to staff.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by martin7)
If it's part of the university's Microsoft tenancy, the university will almost certainly be able to access it. That said, no one is going to be looking at what's there without good reason. Take a look at the university's computer use regulations -- it's likely that there will be some reference to "personal use" and what is/is not considered acceptable on that front. Also note that the rules that apply to students may be different to what applies to staff.
Ok, thx you. I just wanted to save some of my old a level notes onto it just in case they come in handy for september however wasn't sure if it would be allowed or not
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I used the onedrive for all my uni work.

Its fine.

I would imagine the IT department have the ability to reset your password and then could theoretically access your files. However I highly doubt they ever do this (and probably have a privacy policy against this).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
I used the onedrive for all my uni work.

Its fine.

I would imagine the IT department have the ability to reset your password and then could theoretically access your files. However I highly doubt they ever do this (and probably have a privacy policy against this).
Cool, thx. I have nothing to hide on there, just wanted to save extra work on there that perhaps wasn't uni related so was wondering if I would get in trouble if they were able to access it. (its literally just old a level essays, coursework, cv etc that I was going to save on there as my laptop is unreliable and am worried if it goes wrong that i'll lose everything on my harddrive
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Cool, thx. I have nothing to hide on there, just wanted to save extra work on there that perhaps wasn't uni related so was wondering if I would get in trouble if they were able to access it. (its literally just old a level essays, coursework, cv etc that I was going to save on there as my laptop is unreliable and am worried if it goes wrong that i'll lose everything on my harddrive
No they almost certainly wouldn’t no (or care).

You’ll have to move elsewhere after your degree tho, as they pull the storage afterwards.

You could look at iCloud Drive/google drive/mega...
Nowadays a couple quid a month should get you more than you need. Apple offer 50GB for 79p.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
No they almost certainly wouldn’t no (or care).

You’ll have to move elsewhere after your degree tho, as they pull the storage afterwards.

You could look at iCloud Drive/google drive/mega...
Nowadays a couple quid a month should get you more than you need. Apple offer 50GB for 79p.
Ok, thx you! (Thought they may pull it after my degree as why would they want to pay for it when I no longer study there). Will deffo look into those other storage methods you mentioned, thx ever so much for your help xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (167)
24.96%
Better than expected (138)
20.63%
Worse than expected (364)
54.41%

Watched Threads