Is it okay to have no academic ambitions yet..?

Watch
Ryz Bulleto
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Y12 student entering Y13)
I have been trying to find a degree/potential academic route for over a year now and I've stared at every uni degree and nothing appeals to me. For years I thought a businessy degree was for me but I only realised recently I was just copying my brother out of influence.

Don't get me wrong there are some cool ones but they're just 'cool' like buying a new game and playing it for a month before getting bored.

I have good grades but its usually just a fun game to me like getting a new PR just to outdo myself because why not. Currently at AAA* (chem/econ/maths) but I'm not ambitious about any of these they're just bearable/slightly interesting.

I have a lot of personal ambitions to put it briefly: fitness (boxing/weights) and reading (spirituality/non-fiction) these two have been consistent for 5+ years I have other 'hobbies' (graphic design/piano/startups) but they're usually cycled between not really 'ambition'. Anyway, this is just proof I am somewhat human.

I understand I'm definitely gonna have a rollercoaster of a career rather than the corporate life but right now I have to pick a fixed degree and that's quite tough for me right now.

Any advice? thanks
Last edited by Ryz Bulleto; 1 week ago
erhine27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! Don't worry about not knowing whether or what to study yet.

First of all, especially currently I can totally understand a lack of motivation to continue education online or just in a non-social manner. You're about to start your final year of school and it's totally normal not to feel like continuing that stress without the social aspect for many more years.

Secondly, don't be afraid of choosing your course. It's great that you realized you only liked business because of your brothers influence. Try to reflect on that again, because it's not wrong to chose something your family members are also doing, as long as you are genuinely influenced as well. I can definitely highlight the importance of, if you actually want to study, choosing a course you are truly interested in. Don't worry about loving all of it, but just something you would be willing to sit through many hours of lectures and spend a lot of time revising on. A good rule of thumb is to think: would I read a book on a subject-related topic in my free time? I can also really recommend reading or at least looking through books like "What color is my parachute" or just a general degree overview that out lines all the subject areas, the job prospects etc.

Also, if it's not totally necessary, try NOT to chose a course because of the possible amount of money you will make with it. If you're not really a fan of say chemistry and biology it's not worth spending years of your life studying medicine just to have a secure job and income in the end. If that's your priority, that's valid as well but then you also won't be unhappy studying something you don't like because you always have the goal of making a lot of money in front of your eyes.

Furthermore, counseling is also a great option to figure out what to study and also if certain career paths are actually your own wish or only an expectation of e.g. your family. There are psychotherapists/counselors specialized on careers or university planning and it is a great way to find out about your options because they know about all the different paths for people.

This leads me to my next point, not studying at all is also completely valid. If it's not for you, then there is no way it would make sense to torture yourself through three+ years of university just to say you have a degree. Because a degree is what you make of it. You can be extremely passionate about philosophy and be accepted at your dream firm, where as, someone who did a half-assed business management degree without any passion isn't guaranteed to get accepted either.

Last but not least, if your sentiment doesn't really change until the UCAS application deadline this year, don't worry, you're still in the middle of school. Taking a gap year is such a great option to explore what there is for you, first of all, trying to intern at professions you would be interested in pursuing, just working in general, taking time for yourself, but also doing a lot of research whether uni is right for you. Gap years are extremely common nowadays and I am sure most parents would agree that they would much rather have their child step into the real working world for a few months before staring an expensive uni education that would make them unhappy (if they don't want to study, obv).

I wish you all the best and don't stress about your future, it will all fall into place, no matter what path you want to choose.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I had no clue until I was in my 20s
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ryz Bulleto)
(Y12 student entering Y13)
I have been trying to find a degree/potential academic route for over a year now and I've stared at every uni degree and nothing appeals to me. For years I thought a businessy degree was for me but I only realised recently I was just copying my brother out of influence.

Don't get me wrong there are some cool ones but they're just 'cool' like buying a new game and playing it for a month before getting bored.

I have good grades but its usually just a fun game to me like getting a new PR just to outdo myself because why not. Currently at AAA* (chem/econ/maths) but I'm not ambitious about any of these they're just bearable/slightly interesting.

I have a lot of personal ambitions to put it briefly: fitness (boxing/weights) and reading (spirituality/non-fiction) these two have been consistent for 5+ years I have other 'hobbies' (graphic design/piano/startups) but they're usually cycled between not really 'ambition'. Anyway, this is just proof I am somewhat human.

I understand I'm definitely gonna have a rollercoaster of a career rather than the corporate life but right now I have to pick a fixed degree and that's quite tough for me right now.

Any advice? thanks
I wouldn't rush to go to uni, get a job instead and go back to education when (if) you really feel you want to.

My husband was the same at 18, he had no interest in degrees as all he cared about was motor bike racing. He left school and worked as a motorbike mechanic for a year then moved on to a different job. At a certain point in his early 20s he realised that he would really like to do an engineering degree so that's what he did.
Alisonsimmons24
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Society would have you know that becoming successful or having a career is one of the most important things we should think about. Being happy doing something you love is more important. Do something you'll enjoy and earn money doing. This doesn't have to be discovered in your first attempt and will most likely be found later in your life. Do what you think will be best for you. It doesn't matter what strangers/family/friends tell you, eventually, you'll have to make the walk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (124)
24.75%
Better than expected (103)
20.56%
Worse than expected (274)
54.69%

Watched Threads