How much of doing well at school is hard work/intelligence?

Watch
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Also do you have more respect for something who is naturally clever vs someone who is hard working?
thagirlhanna
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
never really thought of that before
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Not everyone who works hard does well though do they - some might be more naturally gifted, but lots of people work hard and are intelligent.

More respect for someone who works hard because work ethic is more important than intelligence
Horsesarethebest
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
In school especially at Nat 5/ GCSE level it is more to do with hard work. I have more respect for those who hard to work incredibly hard to get there because as stated above work ethic will get you much further in life than intelligence alone
2_versions
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I think natural understanding has a lot to do with it, which a lot of schools don't really focus on. I would say I am more inclined to the literary subjects than the math or artsy ones, but in school if you don't do as predicted at maths then for some reason it's a focus / revision issue. Some people just don't click with certain things but measuring that and tailoring schools to meet students needs is also an impossibility. Which do I respect more? I think that's something I have to think about some more, because I would prefer a naturally good surgeon to operate on me but respect the man who studied harder to be a surgeon more....

(PS. please make another tv show or a book... Karl we miss you...)
2_versions
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by RaA64)
More respect for someone who works hard because work ethic is more important than intelligence
I'd partially agree with this. In terms of academics I would say this isn't the case, but in most jobs this is definitely true (until you reach the high STEM jobs and similar where intelligence is demanded).
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
Also do you have more respect for something who is naturally clever vs someone who is hard working?
99.9% of those that are clever and work hard get good grades, it's called sods law for a reason . And I respect someone whose hard working, they build themselves up from scratch and it's inspiring.
yeetouttawindow
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I am about average intelligence and hard work can get you only so far. No matter how hard I tried I never got the highest grades. I seemed to lack something other students had.
anaindiemood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I think your school success comes down to both natural intelligence and work ethic. There’s people that put in the hours but still don’t do as well as “naturally intelligent” people who have a much lesser work ethic. In reality I think both need to go hand in hand to achieve what we stereotype as “success”. For example you could be the hardest working person on the planet and have ambitions to be a high flying neurosurgeon but if you can’t grasp any biological principles it’s unlikely you’ll achieve that particular goal. However that work ethic applied in a different setting may lead to “success” in an alternative area. I do respect someone that puts in the work even if they don’t necessarily reap the rewards immediately, If you have the right drive and ambition that goes a long way...
Last edited by anaindiemood; 4 days ago
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
More respect is deserved for someone who works hard. Being clever is no use unless you apply it
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
At school the teachers kind of prefer the naturally clever students or at least it is seen as better to be naturally smart rather than a 'keener'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (74)
40.22%
Take autumn exams (61)
33.15%
Look for a job (5)
2.72%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.26%
Take a year out (26)
14.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
6.52%

Watched Threads