being an introvert and going to sixth form

Watch
anonymous3264
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I would like some advice. I am very quiet and awkward to talk to. I hope some people can relate or give advice on this?
I would like to go to sixth form so I can progress in my chosen path which at the moment is teaching. I know being an introvert in some ways can hinder people but I am trying very hard to become more confident
sunsetpeony
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anonymous3264)
I would like some advice. I am very quiet and awkward to talk to. I hope some people can relate or give advice on this?
I would like to go to sixth form so I can progress in my chosen path which at the moment is teaching. I know being an introvert in some ways can hinder people but I am trying very hard to become more confident
hey! i'm fairly introverted too and i think that more people are quiet/lack general confidence than you may think - lots of people fake confidence all the time. there's nothing wrong with being introverted at all as long as it's not affecting your quality of life, but it sounds like you're working your way towards being a lot more confident which is great!

sixth form is amazing for making new friends, and you'll probably be surprised with how you begin talking to new people! just remember that people won't mind if you're a bit quiet or awkward at first, and i'm sure they'll understand! going to sixth form is a big step, so perhaps make little goals for yourself (e.g. say hello to someone new on the first day). confidence sometimes takes a long time to get up but try and take each day as it comes. take new opportunities - it's better to have pushed yourself that bit further than to regret never having done something due to a lack of confidence
lonelybear
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! The best possible advice I can give, as someone who is also quiet, would be to fake it 'till you make it. I know, it sounds cliche and also quite stupid, but it works wonders. I'm assuming you're going to a different school, as in, your secondary is not the sixth form? If so, you definitely need to put in the effort to make friends (same goes for uni). Faking being confident will help you feel confident. When you meet people, be positive and say 'Hi! My name is...' with a smile- people are not as scary as you'd think they are, nor do most people actually hate/get annoyed when you speak to them! Don't forget to compliment people- it's a great way to start a conversation.

Secondly, if you know people going to the same sixth form (from secondary etc), and you don't mind talking to them etc, stick with them! I made loads of friends by staying with people I knew, just because it always gives that slight boost of confidence.

Lastly, pls, pls, PLS! Do not fake your personality. If sounds contradictory to the fake it thing from before, but what you need to do is fake confidence, but keep your personality in check. If you have interests, speak confidently about them! If they don't want to talk to you after that then BYE! They weren't worth the time anyway

What age group do you wish to teach in the future? Whilst this wasn't your question, definitely do some tutoring/work experience, it'll help A LOT for your personal statement, especially for more competitive unis like UCL etc!
anonymous3264
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by lonelybear)
Hi! The best possible advice I can give, as someone who is also quiet, would be to fake it 'till you make it. I know, it sounds cliche and also quite stupid, but it works wonders. I'm assuming you're going to a different school, as in, your secondary is not the sixth form? If so, you definitely need to put in the effort to make friends (same goes for uni). Faking being confident will help you feel confident. When you meet people, be positive and say 'Hi! My name is...' with a smile- people are not as scary as you'd think they are, nor do most people actually hate/get annoyed when you speak to them! Don't forget to compliment people- it's a great way to start a conversation.

Secondly, if you know people going to the same sixth form (from secondary etc), and you don't mind talking to them etc, stick with them! I made loads of friends by staying with people I knew, just because it always gives that slight boost of confidence.

Lastly, pls, pls, PLS! Do not fake your personality. If sounds contradictory to the fake it thing from before, but what you need to do is fake confidence, but keep your personality in check. If you have interests, speak confidently about them! If they don't want to talk to you after that then BYE! They weren't worth the time anyway

What age group do you wish to teach in the future? Whilst this wasn't your question, definitely do some tutoring/work experience, it'll help A LOT for your personal statement, especially for more competitive unis like UCL etc!
I would like to teach primary thankyou for this advice ppl xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.67%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.02%
Look for a job (19)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.05%
Take a year out (96)
17.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.08%

Watched Threads