Girlfriend wants me to tell my parents about her

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Right let's set the scene. I'm 16 and live in a small flat with my parents. They still think I'm some innocent baby who hasn't got any drive for sex or a girlfriend when in reality I have one.

My girlfriend wants me to tell my parents about her for some reason and I just really don't want to because I can just imagine the dramatics of my mum going "oh my baby is growing up!" and then they would keep asking me about her.

My plan is to ease her name into conversation by whenever I meet mates, I will tell my parents that she was there too as a friend and then every time I meet with mates I will tell my parents that I met with 4 people and her, 3 people and her, 2 people and her, until I am meeting with just her.

Anyone got more ideas how I could tell my parents about my gf?
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
It's really not this complicated. Just tell them straight up that you have a girlfriend now.
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
It's easier than you think to tolerate the 'parents discover you have a partner' stuff. And if they're like you say, they'll start doing it as soon as you mention a girl among your friends ('ooh, is she your girlfriend?'), so taking the convoluted, easing-in route won't do you any good.

Just tell them, and if they start being annoying, respond in a manner that indicates low enthusiasm for discussing the topic.
Karisa96
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Honesty is always the best policy.
Tell them outright, it will be better in the long run.
hope1279
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Pretending she doesn't exist isn't gonna make her feel good. You don't have to tell your parents but they're going to find out eventually. Just tell them straight.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Obviously she doesn't want to be a secret it just feels bad, just tell them about her
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Just tell your parents, they'll find out anyway and it'll make her feel bad.
:goodluck:
Anonymous #2
Report 2 days ago
Honestly just tell them. Your gf will get annoyed eventually.
I dated my ex bf for 2 years and he didn't tell his parents the whole time. I tried to be as relaxed/understanding about it as I could, especially since we're both men and so it would have involved coming out for him, which is hard, but I really didn't like it, especially after the year mark, as I feel like he had time to have sorted stuff out by then. His parents aren't homophobic. They knew I was trans and were always super cool with it, so it wasn't about that. If you've only been going out a few weeks and things aren't exclusive yet or whatever, then fair enough, but if it's been a couple of months and things are maybe getting more serious, you should really be telling them about her tbh. They won't be less annoying just because you ease it in or whatever, parents will always say stuff like that when you go through a big life milestone. Wait until you go to uni.

(Original post by Anonymous)
Right let's set the scene. I'm 16 and live in a small flat with my parents. They still think I'm some innocent baby who hasn't got any drive for sex or a girlfriend when in reality I have one.

My girlfriend wants me to tell my parents about her for some reason and I just really don't want to because I can just imagine the dramatics of my mum going "oh my baby is growing up!" and then they would keep asking me about her.

My plan is to ease her name into conversation by whenever I meet mates, I will tell my parents that she was there too as a friend and then every time I meet with mates I will tell my parents that I met with 4 people and her, 3 people and her, 2 people and her, until I am meeting with just her.

Anyone got more ideas how I could tell my parents about my gf?
EBroome
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
You need to tell them if you want to stay with her. She will get annoyed if you you dont as it implies you're embarrassed of her. Even if your parents are a bit obsessive at first they will probably get bored and calm down.
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
This thread is funny
"I'm 16 and live in a small flat with my parents"

My word.

"They still think I'm some innocent baby"
Sorry about the confusion Action Man!

On a serious note tell them. I don't think it'll be a big deal tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (188)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (282)
50.09%
I still don't know (93)
16.52%

Watched Threads