anaindiemood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve currently got a short list for biomedical science/biological science at the following universities:

1) University of Sheffield(biomed)
2) Cardiff University(biomed)
3) Newcastle University(biomed)
4) Exeter University(medical science)
5) Loughborough University(biological science)
6) Leeds University(medical science)
7) Lancaster University(biomed/biomedicine)

If anyone has any experience of these universities on these courses or on any courses at these institutions for that matter I’d be really grateful if you could give me some insight into your experience

How have you found the accommodation/the university location and city/careers advice/ diversity of the university/student union and events/affordability....basically anything! Thanks so much if you can help!
aw03
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i'm starting biochemistry at lancaster this year so maybe i can help when i start
i wrote my personal statement for biomed tho and switched courses a couple weeks ago so if you need help with a biomed ps i can help w that. good luck!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anaindiemood)
I’ve currently got a short list for biomedical science/biological science at the following universities:

1) University of Sheffield(biomed)
2) Cardiff University(biomed)
3) Newcastle University(biomed)
4) Exeter University(medical science)
5) Loughborough University(biological science)
6) Leeds University(medical science)
7) Lancaster University(biomed/biomedicine)

If anyone has any experience of these universities on these courses or on any courses at these institutions for that matter I’d be really grateful if you could give me some insight into your experience

How have you found the accommodation/the university location and city/careers advice/ diversity of the university/student union and events/affordability....basically anything! Thanks so much if you can help!
Hi anaindiemood,

I'm a current first-year student at Lancaster University. One of my best friends studies Biomedical Science here and she has really enjoyed her first year!

You can find out more information about the BioMedicine course here and Biomedical Science here. I'd also recommend that you talk to current students studying these subjects on our UniBuddy platform, to get their insight into the course itself.

In terms of questions about Lancaster University itself:
1) Accommodation - I've lived on campus for my first year and found the accommodation really great to live in. Lancaster offers a variety of different accommodation types, with different price ranges, which you can find here. I'd also recommend you check out these videos made by one of our Digital Ambassadors showing the different types of accommodation.
2) Collegiate system - one of the main things I love about Lancaster is the fact we have a collegiate system, which means that everybody is put into a college. This gives a much more welcoming and community feel, which was definitely something I loved when I came to look around for the first time!
3) Location - Lancaster is in the North West, with the university campus about a 10-15 minute bus ride from the centre. Although this may seem further out than city universities, the campus itself is equipped for all your needs, including nine bars (one for each of the colleges), a surgery, pharmacy, library, sports centre, etc. You can find out more about the facilities here, or take a virtual tour of campus here. It's also got very good transport links, with the beautiful Lake District up the road, and only 2.5 hours from London on the train.
4) Affordability - Lancaster is really cheap and affordable! I live in the South East and it's so much cheaper in Lancaster, for rent, food, transport, etc.
5) Diversity - Lancaster is home to a wealth of different cultures and nationalities. 30% of students are international and there are a variety of different societies representing different cultures. Inclusivity is very important at the university, and you'll find that you'll meet people from very different backgrounds.

If you have any more questions about Lancaster or the course, I'd be happy to help!

Maria
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
(Original post by aw03)
i'm starting biochemistry at lancaster this year so maybe i can help when i start
i wrote my personal statement for biomed tho and switched courses a couple weeks ago so if you need help with a biomed ps i can help w that. good luck!
Aw thank you! I hope you enjoy biochem!
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey! I'm going into my third year of a microbiology degree at the University of Leeds so not the same but similar-ish. Not really sure what to say so I'll just answer the questions you asked and if you want to know anything more please don't hesitate to ask!

How have you found the accommodation?
There's a huge variety for every budget and type provided by the uni for first year! Whether you want shared bathroom/en suite, expensive/cheap, close to campus/don't mind difference, catered/self-catered, lots of flatmates/fewer. I stayed in Montague Burton - one of the cheapest, shared bathroom accoms in a 9 person flat and adored it! Most people I know liked their first year halls where ever they stayed but I'd probably avoid Oxley/Liberty Dock when you're looking.

Plenty of 2nd year accom too in a variety of places around Leeds. Most common are Hyde park/Headingley.

The university location and city?
The uni is mainly all on one campus which is great for convenience (timetables sometimes seem to think you can teleport from one side of campus to the other haha). It's just a 5-ish minute walk from the city center and close to Hyde Park where a lot of students live. The coach/train stations are a bit of a hike away into the city but generally I'd say the uni is in a great location!

The city itself is great! Got anything you could want from a city tbh, not really sure what to say haha.

careers advice?
I've had pretty decent careers advice over the years. Have an amazing tutor who's pretty much adopted everyone on my course haha. Also had a fake CV/interview so they could give feedback, a lot of careers events/fairs, lectures from employers, meetings with alumni, etc. I even took a careers module specifically for biosciences this year for credit and it was super helpful in learning about the job market and getting some skills! There's also a careers center for the whole uni which do meetings about careers, cv checking and advice, mock interviews, mock applications, mock assessment centers, among many other things. Generally I've found the careers advice I've needed so far pretty great!

diversity of the university?
I can't comment too much on this but generally there are a wide variety of students from so many backgrounds in the uni, both home and international. It always seems pretty diverse whenever I'm walking around campus (though I will say that sadly most my lecturers are middle aged white men 🙄).

student union and events?
The student union is a lovely building with food places, pubs, clubs, cafes, shops, and just generally places to chill! I think all societies are ran through the union and there are plenty to be involved it and (most) are very welcoming to complete newbies. Plenty of events are run through the uni/societies/union including club nights, weekly pub quiz, dog therapy sessions, movie nights, guest lectures, society preformamces, etc. all advertised on the website.

I hope any of that has helped and please feel free to ask anymore questions!
UnwantedKid
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good luck with blended learning lmao
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
(Original post by gigaberry)
Good luck with blended learning lmao
Don’t even get me started...🤣🤣🤣
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.52%
Confident (14)
9.03%
Indifferent (16)
10.32%
Unsure (38)
24.52%
Worried (80)
51.61%

Watched Threads