The Student Room Group

Left degree course at end of first year. Student loan for new course.

Hi, back in 1995 I started a degree but foolishly left the course at the end of the first year. My maintenance grant was gone by the end of the first week on hall fees with £30 to spare. It's something I have come to deeply regret but it seemed to the right decision at the time. I passed the first year but I wasn't enjoying the course and despite finding a part time job, I was descending deeper into debt. Lloyds bank charged me nearly a £1000 in overdraft charges and other bank charges. My worry, stress and anxiety over debt mounted my grades began to decline. My mum, who was a single parent and was herself halfway through a degree in education, obviously wasn't in a position to help financially.

25 years later, I have found an online degree course that really appeals to me. I've been enquiring about the course for the last 8 years but it has only just launched. I would be looking to complete this course on a full time basis, although it would be completely online, with the exception of exams.

Would I be entitled to a student fees loan and any other funding? I still have the student loan outstanding and I pretty much buried my head in the sand, so my name will be mud with Student Loans. I've never earned enough to qualify for repayments but I foolishly I didn't apply for deferments. I actually didn't know that I had to until about 10 years later. Yes, I am aware that was my responsibility to know or find that out. The debts that I accrued pretty much ruined my early 20s. My understanding is that I would need to clear that debt, quite understandably. I have learned my lessons and now manage my finances well, with the exception of the outstanding defaulted student loan hanging over me. Would the poor state of my Students Loans account ruin my chances or can I pay it off and start again? I can just about manage that but I can't afford to pay for the course fees.
Original post by avidfan
Hi, back in 1995 I started a degree but foolishly left the course at the end of the first year. My maintenance grant was gone by the end of the first week on hall fees with £30 to spare. It's something I have come to deeply regret but it seemed to the right decision at the time. I passed the first year but I wasn't enjoying the course and despite finding a part time job, I was descending deeper into debt. Lloyds bank charged me nearly a £1000 in overdraft charges and other bank charges. My worry, stress and anxiety over debt mounted my grades began to decline. My mum, who was a single parent and was herself halfway through a degree in education, obviously wasn't in a position to help financially.

25 years later, I have found an online degree course that really appeals to me. I've been enquiring about the course for the last 8 years but it has only just launched. I would be looking to complete this course on a full time basis, although it would be completely online, with the exception of exams.

Would I be entitled to a student fees loan and any other funding? I still have the student loan outstanding and I pretty much buried my head in the sand, so my name will be mud with Student Loans. I've never earned enough to qualify for repayments but I foolishly I didn't apply for deferments. I actually didn't know that I had to until about 10 years later. Yes, I am aware that was my responsibility to know or find that out. The debts that I accrued pretty much ruined my early 20s. My understanding is that I would need to clear that debt, quite understandably. I have learned my lessons and now manage my finances well, with the exception of the outstanding defaulted student loan hanging over me. Would the poor state of my Students Loans account ruin my chances or can I pay it off and start again? I can just about manage that but I can't afford to pay for the course fees.

Hi there,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. All previous study and qualifications you may hold. Is it only 1 year of previous higher education study you have?

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Hi, here's the Information you requested.

1. It's a BSc in Psychology - University of London with King's college London. It's an online course, however I plan to take the course full time.
2. I'm 44 years old
3. I'm British and I've lived here since birth.
4. I did my GCSEs and A Levels before university and haven't studied anything since leaving the first year.

My plan would be to take a PGCE course (full time campus based rather than online) once I've finished my degree. Is my having studied for one year already likely to affect a one year postgraduate course?

Thanks for your reply.
Original post by avidfan
Hi, here's the Information you requested.

1. It's a BSc in Psychology - University of London with King's college London. It's an online course, however I plan to take the course full time.
2. I'm 44 years old
3. I'm British and I've lived here since birth.
4. I did my GCSEs and A Levels before university and haven't studied anything since leaving the first year.

My plan would be to take a PGCE course (full time campus based rather than online) once I've finished my degree. Is my having studied for one year already likely to affect a one year postgraduate course?

Thanks for your reply.

As you only have 1 year of previous higher education funding, you will be fully eligible for funding. If your course is a distance learning course you won't be eligible for a Maintenance Loan unless you have a disability, if it's not distance learning then you can apply for full funding. If you are married or have a partner then they will need to provide their income as their income will determine what you can receive.

You can receive funding for a PGCE course afterwards, previous study does not affect eligibility for a PGCE course. You will be able to receive full funding. A PGCE course attracts undergraduate funding not postgraduate.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
As you only have 1 year of previous higher education funding, you will be fully eligible for funding. If your course is a distance learning course you won't be eligible for a Maintenance Loan unless you have a disability, if it's not distance learning then you can apply for full funding. If you are married or have a partner then they will need to provide their income as their income will determine what you can receive.

You can receive funding for a PGCE course afterwards, previous study does not affect eligibility for a PGCE course. You will be able to receive full funding. A PGCE course attracts undergraduate funding not postgraduate.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for you help.

What paperwork will I need to prepare for my application?

I'm not married so it would be just my income. Do I need bank statements? I have some but they are mostly sent online, are print outs of those okay?

Do I need any documentation from my former university confirming the dates I studied there?

Obviously, my 'A' levels and GCCEs. Is there anything else I should start getting ready?

Thanks again.
Original post by avidfan
Thank you for you help.

What paperwork will I need to prepare for my application?

I'm not married so it would be just my income. Do I need bank statements? I have some but they are mostly sent online, are print outs of those okay?

Do I need any documentation from my former university confirming the dates I studied there?

Obviously, my 'A' levels and GCCEs. Is there anything else I should start getting ready?

Thanks again.

No you don't need any of that. You just need to login online using the same account you previously had and then click apply. You then need to state you are single (if you have no partner) and complete the rest of the application and allow 6 weeks to be assessed. It's unlikely for any evidence to be requested from you.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
No you don't need any of that. You just need to login online using the same account you previously had and then click apply. You then need to state you are single (if you have no partner) and complete the rest of the application and allow 6 weeks to be assessed. It's unlikely for any evidence to be requested from you.
Thanks, Isaac

So, despite the fact that my account was in such a poor state, I should be accepted for new loans, providing that the outstanding debt is cleared in full.

Thanks again.
Original post by avidfan
So, despite the fact that my account was in such a poor state, I should be accepted for new loans, providing that the outstanding debt is cleared in full.

Thanks again.

No, you don't need to clear the debt, as long as you are not behind on repayments.

You stated you only had 1 year of previous study. All students receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year. The year you studied in 1995 is your additional year and therefore you have full funding available for the length of your new course.

Your account is not in bad standing as there is not even a system in place to mark accounts as such. You will be treated the same as everyone else so you shouldn't worry about the 1 year you had in 1995 (as long as you are not behind on repayments.
You can apply as a single student.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
No, you don't need to clear the debt, as long as you are not behind on repayments.

You stated you only had 1 year of previous study. All students receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year. The year you studied in 1995 is your additional year and therefore you have full funding available for the length of your new course.

Your account is not in bad standing as there is not even a system in place to mark accounts as such. You will be treated the same as everyone else so you shouldn't worry about the 1 year you had in 1995 (as long as you are not behind on repayments.
You can apply as a single student.

Thanks, Isaac

I foolishly buried my head in the sand and I never even requested deferments. I have never earned enough to qualify for the payments but I didn't apply to defer payments. So I have never made any payments at all. I think the debt was passed to a private company a few years ago.
Original post by avidfan
I foolishly buried my head in the sand and I never even requested deferments. I have never earned enough to qualify for the payments but I didn't apply to defer payments. So I have never made any payments at all. I think the debt was passed to a private company a few years ago.

If you never earned enough then you won't be behind on repayments, unless you had overpayments.
You should apply for finance as soon as you can.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 10
Thank you for your help.
Original post by avidfan
Thank you for your help.

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending