How much do you utilise your tutor?

Watch
Poll: How much do you use/meet with your tutor?
Not at all (5)
22.73%
The minimum/the least I can get away with (9)
40.91%
A moderate amount; not extensively but not for everything (4)
18.18%
As much as I can and/or whenever I need advice on something (4)
18.18%
Sycaphore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Just wondering how much others make use of their personal tutors/advisors? I'm in the group of students who use theirs the absolute minimum (I find him pretty useless TBH - not helped by how he's a physical geog prof and I study human geog - and have only met with him 4 times over my two years in uni so far (as much as I can without drawing negative attention towards myself)), but I suspect there are others who make as much use of theirs as they can. Seems pretty much like it's either one 'group' or the other students fit into.
Last edited by Sycaphore; 6 days ago
gordi1111
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
looking for a student to tutor, no problem to get all from ms
Ghosty232
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Sycaphore)
Just wondering how much others make use of their personal tutors/advisors? I'm in the group of students who use theirs the absolute minimum (I find him pretty useless TBH - not helped by how he's a physical geog prof and I study human geog - and have only met with him 4 times over my two years in uni so far (as much as I can without drawing negative attention towards myself)), but I suspect there are others who make as much use of theirs as they can. Seems pretty much like it's either one 'group' or the other students fit into.
My personal tutor was amazing, and coincidentally the best lecturer we had at the university by far. If I needed something, she’d do it. If she needed something, I’d do it.

With that said, we were both extremely happy with our “we don’t exist unless we need each other” relationship. I sent off an email when I needed something, she replied next day, then we didn’t talk for a few weeks until we needed something again.
Advertisement
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I should really use mine more. He's a great guy. I just don't need any specific help though so I barely speak to him. I have friends who are basically besties with theirs though.
Sycaphore
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ghosty232)
My personal tutor was amazing, and coincidentally the best lecturer we had at the university by far. If I needed something, she’d do it. If she needed something, I’d do it.

With that said, we were both extremely happy with our “we don’t exist unless we need each other” relationship. I sent off an email when I needed something, she replied next day, then we didn’t talk for a few weeks until we needed something again.
(Original post by gigaberry)
I should really use mine more. He's a great guy. I just don't need any specific help though so I barely speak to him. I have friends who are basically besties with theirs though.
I agree with both of you. My tutor's a nice guy, and is quite endearing and entertaining as a lecturer, but I've never really found myself in need of his help and I concur with @Ghosty232's statement in that we both seem OK with not being in contact with each other other than when we have to have a meeting (he sent an email at the end of spring term to everyone he tutors about how he being ill has meant we couldn't have a meeting until then and, because COVID had stopped any face-to-face delivery/meetings, if we wanted we could have a video call instead; I thought "NOPE!" to that straight away (because I didn't feel I needed a meeting and over video chat would've been uncomfortable for me) and never followed up). Most of our meetings being awkward and not having anything to say doesn't help either; my academic performance is OK and raises no alarm bells that require discussion. We're supposed to meet up at least once a term and I feel when I do I'm just going through some pretty unneeded/useless motions. And re: @gigaberry, one of my flatmates this past year said she was going to use her tutor way more this year (she had a new one), which got a bit of an early hampering by the fact her supposed tutor didn't have her on her list of students!
Last edited by Sycaphore; 6 days ago
Advertisement
donkey.kong
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
When I first met my personal tutor I was a bit intimidated because she's a professor on my course, but then I had an illness halfway through first year and she was lovely about it. Gave me a lot of emotional support and was there for me whenever I needed her. Despite this, I didn't actively seek her out and we barely spoke to each other (probably only 4 times in the year). Then COVID happened and we had a couple video calls which were nice but there wasn't much substance in what we talked about, it was kind of just small talk.

If I'm being completely honest, I don't see a reason for me to use my personal tutor - what do you guys actually use them for??
KittyN
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think I’ve seen mine 5 times in 2 years. As often as I had to, but no more. She did also teach me both years, and she’s a great lecturer, but I’m not going to just randomly bother her.

She makes an appointment with each of her tutees twice a year to check in. Which all of the tutors at my uni are supposed to do, but a lot don’t (one of my friends asked her tutor if she could have an appointment to introduce herself in first year and her tutor said no ).

I then saw her an extra time to get her to sign off on a change of course form.
Advertisement
Sycaphore
Rep:
?
(Original post by donkey.kong)
When I first met my personal tutor I was a bit intimidated because she's a professor on my course, but then I had an illness halfway through first year and she was lovely about it. Gave me a lot of emotional support and was there for me whenever I needed her. Despite this, I didn't actively seek her out and we barely spoke to each other (probably only 4 times in the year). Then COVID happened and we had a couple video calls which were nice but there wasn't much substance in what we talked about, it was kind of just small talk.

If I'm being completely honest, I don't see a reason for me to use my personal tutor - what do you guys actually use them for??
(Original post by KittyN)
I think I’ve seen mine 5 times in 2 years. As often as I had to, but no more. She did also teach me both years, and she’s a great lecturer, but I’m not going to just randomly bother her.

She makes an appointment with each of her tutees twice a year to check in. Which all of the tutors at my uni are supposed to do, but a lot don’t (one of my friends asked her tutor if she could have an appointment to introduce herself in first year and her tutor said no ).

I then saw her an extra time to get her to sign off on a change of course form.
That's nice to hear, @donkey.kong. As @KittyN demonstrates there can be some right arses out there.

In reply to @donkey.kong, I only use my tutor because I have to, as I said in an earlier post, three times a year (though COVID threw a wrench into that this year). The meetings are so dry and awkward (partially on my socially inept part) I have to keep coming up with things to talk about to avoid the silence becoming so entrenched, and my first (and only) second year meeting was just me going through my first year exam papers (I still haven't seen the ones I did for a module in a different department!)

I'm of the belief that really tutor meetings should only be compulsory - or encouraged to the point they sound it - at the very start of first year and for students whose academic performance is raising concerns. And maybe at least one additional 'progress' meeting during each year in case students are deliberately avoiding talking about things they're concerned about otherwise, or more 'compulsory' meetings for students who require additional support. Others will disagree with me there, and maybe my view stems from me being unnecessarily overly mollycoddled by teachers and pastoral support from primary school right through to sixth form.
OxMus
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have ~3 tutorials per week in term time, so I can't exactly get away from my tutors! I'm lucky that my main tutor is a lovely person and very clever/well-connected though, so I always feel comfortable asking for help.
Advertisement
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I don't even have one. But I wish I did. Because i actually have a career plan in the field and so it'd come in handy
KittyN
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by OxMus)
I have ~3 tutorials per week in term time, so I can't exactly get away from my tutors! I'm lucky that my main tutor is a lovely person and very clever/well-connected though, so I always feel comfortable asking for help.
I think it’s more about personal tutors (like academic advisors / pastoral people, different unis have different names for them). Most people see seminar/tutorial tutors several times a week.
Advertisement
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I had a great relationship with mine for 10 years or so, but mostly by email, and mostly along the lines of 'have you seen this new book? Is it worth a go?' or 'I'm missing something with this compound, how would you translate it?'

I saw him twice a year for formal stuff re the department, I might bump into him and chat off the cuff but I didn't mither him much. Had one BA dissertation meeting, none at all for my master's, and we had weekly Sanskrit meetings for my PhD for about 12 months, after that I saw him a few times a year and would just lie on the paperwork (which wanted 2 meetings a month) :lol:

basically you should use them as much as you need to
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I had a great relationship with mine for 10 years or so, but mostly by email, and mostly along the lines of 'have you seen this new book? Is it worth a go?' or 'I'm missing something with this compound, how would you translate it?'

I saw him twice a year for formal stuff re the department, I might bump into him and chat off the cuff but I didn't mither him much. Had one BA dissertation meeting, none at all for my master's, and we had weekly Sanskrit meetings for my PhD for about 12 months, after that I saw him a few times a year and would just lie on the paperwork (which wanted 2 meetings a month) :lol:

basically you should use them as much as you need to
What's the pastoral support like at uni? Do you get any freedom, or is it basically just a continuation of secondary school and sixth form?

I'm already sick of safeguarding, etc, and I want to have a proper adult life when I get to uni? I'll be an adult - not a toddler and I don't need rules preventing me from everything!

Do you get freedom, or is everyone so fragile that it isn't an option? Obviously there should be support if you need it, but it shouldn't be forced on everyone like in secondary school/sixth form...
Advertisement
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What's the pastoral support like at uni? Do you get any freedom, or is it basically just a continuation of secondary school and sixth form?

I'm already sick of safeguarding, etc, and I want to have a proper adult life when I get to uni? I'll be an adult - not a toddler and I don't need rules preventing me from everything!

Do you get freedom, or is everyone so fragile that it isn't an option? Obviously there should be support if you need it, but it shouldn't be forced on everyone like in secondary school/sixth form...
never needed it so

I went to a bad school (20 years ago) and my sixth form was a college where we were left to our own devices, so i don't really know what you mean

if you don't ask, you don't get. That's the basic rule. but outside of that, nobody is nosing into your business
OxMus
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by KittyN)
I think it’s more about personal tutors (like academic advisors / pastoral people, different unis have different names for them). Most people see seminar/tutorial tutors several times a week.
Fe. In any case, though, my pastoral/moral tutor also tutored me academically twice a week.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 days ago
I think tutors are pretty useless, my friends had tutors twice a week and I got better grades than them on the majority. That applied to my friends too who didn’t have tutors got better grades, I would only have one if you’re seriously struggling or really don’t understand a topic. If your getting good grades or understand the concept of the work just focus on revision cards and past papers then u will be alright.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Sycaphore)
Very little.

In first year we met every 3 weeks ish, second year once a term, final year: never (although my dissertation supervisor & I had a very good relationship and we would meet twice a week).

Masters, meeting twice a term.

I never had any academic issues my understanding is students who had resits, poor attendance, academic conduct concerns had to meet more regularly. I pretty much just met up to get my results.
Advertisement
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have a new academic supervisor now since my previous left in March this year but I did see him 3 times for personal issues and academic support regarding my essay feedback. Haven't been in touch with my new academic supervisor yet.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think tutors are pretty useless, my friends had tutors twice a week and I got better grades than them on the majority. That applied to my friends too who didn’t have tutors got better grades, I would only have one if you’re seriously struggling or really don’t understand a topic. If your getting good grades or understand the concept of the work just focus on revision cards and past papers then u will be alright.
wrong sort of tutor
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have seen mine once, at start of first year. I assumed we’d have to arrange another meeting post first year xmas exams but he went on strike then COVID happened.
I should try and arrange a meeting for start of second year to discuss results. Other reason to see them more is if you need a reference so they remember you but that’s not going to be a issue for me as I have kept up my old job throughout university.
I dislike this new “drop in to my open hours via zoom” as it just seems that you can barge in when they are chatting to someone else? Should be arrange a time in advance really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads