The Student Room Group

American studying in England AMA

I’ve just turned 18 and will be starting university in October.

Scroll to see replies

worst thing about england
Reply 2
How do u feel abt the English culture?
Reply 3
Original post by rxyaltyx
worst thing about england

The driving , I’ve only recently got my license and now I’m having to drive on the ‘wrong’ side of the wrong with roads skinnier than my d*** after quarantine.
Original post by JamesCaprio
The driving , I’ve only recently got my license and now I’m having to drive on the ‘wrong’ side of the wrong with roads skinnier than my d*** after quarantine.

lmaooo
Reply 5
Original post by kadiatuj0001
How do u feel abt the English culture?

This may be confusing but it is broad in terms of people seem to have more variety in their personality than in America (Cali specifically) but they aren’t as open with their feelings , you’ve gotta dig deeper.

On a lighter note the drinking culture is crazy but more fun and the people really are more polite 😁
Why the big move? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by laurawatt
Why the big move? :smile:

Where I’m from in California, life is too fast for me , this is the place that people come to follow their dreams but people just constantly see others as products and money , not people with feelings. It’s all about climbing to the top. But I understand there has to be a balance , I can’t sit on my ass all day , that’s why I’m moving to England to broaden my mind , apply my knowledge in a degree but also connect with people and have fun. It’s all about balance in my opinion 🤷*♂️
I hope you make your tea properly 😂
Reply 9
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
I hope you make your tea properly 😂

I remember hearing someone ask ‘What’s for tea?’ Before understanding that you twisted f***s call dinner ‘tea’ as well as the drink so it’s like how do I know which one you’re talking about 🤯
Do you like the British accent? And do you know that we do not all speak "poshly" and quite a lot of ppl speak in a chavy accent lmao
I remember hearing someone ask ‘What’s for tea?’ Before understanding that you twisted f***s call dinner ‘tea’ as well as the drink so it’s like how do I know which one you’re talking about 🤯

Looll i meant the drink but you’re right, we also call dinner tea. We made the language though 😂🤷*♀️
Original post by H4ttie03
Do you like the British accent? And do you know that we do not all speak "poshly" and quite a lot of ppl speak in a chavy accent lmao

I think I understand the accent situation better than most Americans , there are so many British accents it’s insane , I like most of them but there’s something about the Irish , typical posh or the accent of a woman from Manchester that makes me feel a certain way 🥵

For some reasons in my experience people either really love or dislike my accent 😂

i never call dinner tea
i think it's more of a northern thing

Even more confusingly, some people call lunch 'dinner', dinner 'tea', and dinner 'supper'.

Have you yet been served your dinner at 8.30pm and thought 'what the hell'? The first time I went over to the US, a million years ago, and suggested having dinner at 9pm, my friends looked at me like I was crazy or something.
I think I understand the accent situation better than most Americans , there are so many British accents it’s insane , I like most of them but there’s something about the Irish , typical posh or the accent of a woman from Manchester that makes me feel a certain way 🥵

For some reasons in my experience people either really love or dislike my accent 😂

Omg I love the Irish accent so much it's so nice I literally could listen to it all day.
Lol personally I love the american accent although ik lots of ppl who find it rlly annoying, idk it's like the Irish accent for me I just find it rlly nice lol
Original post by rxyaltyx
i never call dinner tea
i think it's more of a northern thing

Lol im from the south Midlands and I call dinner tea a lot but I also call it dinner too, idk I guess it depends who I'm around
Original post by Reality Check
Even more confusingly, some people call lunch 'dinner', dinner 'tea', and dinner 'supper'.

Have you yet been served your dinner at 8.30pm and thought 'what the hell'? The first time I went over to the US, a million years ago, and suggested having dinner at 9pm, my friends looked at me like I was crazy or something.

Lol dude I'm British and if someone suggested having dinner at 9 I'd think they were mad, I usually have it around 6 ish

Whereabouts are you studying? Good luck with the accents . . .

Where and what are you studying?

Where in California? I'm in the SF Bay area, and my son has just graduated from Imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest