Irn Bru is so good I can’t believe I forgot 🙈
Omg no iron bru needs cancelled I despise the stuff ew
H4ttie03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by JamesCaprio)
‘Nothing special’ morning I bet you sound great , I wish I could hear you because I could be able to tell if your accent was sounding American at all 😁
Ahh thanks, well I've had many ppl come up to me asking if I am American lol (I'm half Scottish and half english) but i genuinely think it's because i watch too much american TV and since I'm so easily influenced by other ppls accents lmao
JamesCaprio
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
if you come from cali does the weather get you down also what are you studying why did you come here also what do you think about our educational qualifications like a levels etc
Honestly I consider myself to be a positive , happy guy and the English weather definitely has had a negative effect on how I feel , I’m not going to let the weather control my feelings to the point of sadness but all that stuff they talk about the weather affecting the amount of vitamin D you get which in turn changes the chemicals released from the body , I believe that’s all true man. And it’s not just because it’s cold , I’ve spent a few of my winters where the snow has left me trapped in my house yet there’s something bitter(literally)sweet about it , snow is amazing. For most of the time in the UK it’s just gloomy , dark and rainy.
JamesCaprio
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by H4ttie03)
Ahh thanks, well I've had many ppl come up to me asking if I am American lol (I'm half Scottish and half english) but i genuinely think it's because i watch too much american TV and since I'm so easily influenced by other ppls accents lmao
Idk why but I find that hilarious I hope the people at my uni are like you 😅
H4ttie03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Idk why but I find that hilarious I hope the people at my uni are like you 😅
Aw thanks lol ppl take the piss out of my accent a lot especially since I say "wader" instead of "water" but that's because I'm not american lmao, I'm sure you'll meet lots of nice ppl at uni, I'm pretty sure Durham has a lot of more "posher" sounding ppl so you should be alright
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I wouldn’t know where to start.
This brings the same vibes , there are crazies on both sides of the planet https://youtu.be/WEGCAS8nCPU
Lmao that's a fair reaction

Ahaha, truly, I have American relatives so I luckily understand the memes a bit more.
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The only way I can explain the bleachers is that it’s the bunch of seats where in every cringe teenage American movie the two people will skip class ,hide and make out underneath them and they write their name above them on the underside of the seat.
That is a perfect explanation. It makes it so clear. Thank you 😂👌🏻 although bleachers is such a weird name for that lol
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The sport in high school is very popular where I’m from , we have the space for much more facilities than in most UK schools and more types of people seem to get involved , like I’m yet to see any cheerleaders (understandably though I don’t think girls want to stand outside on the muddy field cheering for something they don’t understand in the cold) .High school basketball games and college games are on tv in America , they are massive events and I think it’s because it’s more systemic , because the players will go from their high school to college and then can be drafted into the NBA. This makes people interested because they want to see who may be the next MJ .Whereas for football to be a Premier League player you have to be lucky to get scouted while playing for your local club or make your way up the ranks with your team.
Oh that’s really interesting. They’re on TV though?! That’s crazyyyy. I can’t imagine a school rugby or football game from here going on TV lol.

When you say football, you mean American football right, not real football? 😂 I think it’s so weird that there’s so much emphasis on sport in America though, like you guys even get sports scholarships. I don’t think we have that here.

I don’t think cheerleading is really a thing here anyway though, because cheerleading can be a sport on its own as well so some people do it like that but it’s pretty rare here in comparison to America (at least that’s what I’ve got from films haha).
BarnabyK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Also, is the ‘football jock’ stereotype in movies a real thing?
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Ooh and are schools actually separated into cliques like nerds, jocks, preps (idk if that’s the right word lol) etc?
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
And do people actually do swirlies to other people when they bully them? 🤢
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
We don’t generally have electric kettles or even use kettle at all , but if we do just the stove top ones. It’s probably a misconception because I’m American hotels for tourists they use electric kettles for efficiency. In colder areas it is more common to use kettles but even still usually just the stove top ones. I’m sorry that this wasn’t a definitive answer 😊
I've never had a problem buying them. How else does one make their pint of PG?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Doesn't that mean the maximum power of domestic items is 1800W? A 3kW kettle, iron or fan heater is thus not possible on a circuit? Also, I seem to remember that you have radial, rather than ring circuits.

God, an 1.8kW kettle would drive me insane waiting...and waiting...and waiting
They're actually only 1.5KW . Irons and fan heaters are limited. Yes, it's all radial wiring.

Houses get two phase 120V supplies. There are typically a few 240V sockets, for electric cookers and clothes dryers (although many of the latter are gas!). There is a newer socket design (one of the conductors is T-shaped) that allows 20A, but virtually no appliances have 20A plugs, as they cannot be used in the standard (15A) socket. I rebuilt an outbuilding (taken down to the foundation and added a bathroom), and rewired my garage, so have had to deal with building regs (or "code" as it's called here).

There are some interesting differences, e.g. no ring mains and "arc fault" breakers, to prevent the sticks from catching fire. GFCI is typically performed by the first socket in a run, rather than in the breaker - you can buy breakers with it, but they're much more expensive than the sockets. Then there's the convenience rules, e.g. you must have a socket every (IIRC) 6 feet on a wall, and you must have a socket WITHIN a certain distance of a wash basin!
Last edited by RogerOxon; 5 days ago
Stacyyyyyyy.y
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’ve just turned 18 and will be starting university in October.

Good luck with that,. I for one cant wait for University 😭😭
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’m studying anthropology at Durham University , you must be so proud of your son , it’s a very hard place to get into. Also I’m from Fremont that’s crazy 👌🙌
Yes. He didn't manage to get into Oxford (where I studied), so had to work much harder at Imperial.

How do the courses in the US compare with your Durham one? My son really wanted to focus (Maths & CS), which I don't believe many US universities allow. There's also the reduced course length in the UK because of this.

Enjoy the UK. Durham is a bit of a trek from here - what route are you going to take?
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Honestly I consider myself to be a positive , happy guy and the English weather definitely has had a negative effect on how I feel , I’m not going to let the weather control my feelings to the point of sadness but all that stuff they talk about the weather affecting the amount of vitamin D you get which in turn changes the chemicals released from the body , I believe that’s all true man. And it’s not just because it’s cold , I’ve spent a few of my winters where the snow has left me trapped in my house yet there’s something bitter(literally)sweet about it , snow is amazing. For most of the time in the UK it’s just gloomy , dark and rainy.
so are you hoping to move back to California eventually?
SnowMiku
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
We don’t generally have electric kettles or even use kettle at all , but if we do just the stove top ones. It’s probably a misconception because I’m American hotels for tourists they use electric kettles for efficiency. In colder areas it is more common to use kettles but even still usually just the stove top ones. I’m sorry that this wasn’t a definitive answer 😊
I've never been to America so I didn't know that
The answer helps a lot though, thank you!
JamesCaprio
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
so are you hoping to move back to California eventually?
Yeah but I’ll just be travelling all over the world still. California is not all what it is made out to be , everyone works too hard , it’s all about money.
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yeah but I’ll just be travelling all over the world still. California is not all what it is made out to be , everyone works too hard , it’s all about money.
Don't they have high property taxes there also do you have anything positive to say about our country haha?
JamesCaprio
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
Ooh and are schools actually separated into cliques like nerds, jocks, preps (idk if that’s the right word lol) etc?
Nah not really where I’m from , that’s just for the movies. Those groups will obviously hang around with each other but not separated. People seem to get on well with each other more so than in the UK schools. Most jocks respect the nerds in a weird way. And cheerleaders have more of a relationship with boys as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (110)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (90)
31.91%
Look for a job (8)
2.84%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.19%
Take a year out (47)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise