Laptop help please Watch

KingAnt1990
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey i know this is like the other threads but i was wondering if you could give me some advice, im looking to buy a new laptop for uni, i want somthing lightweight, reasonable battery life, originally i was planning to get the dell xps m1330, below is the spec i customised on their website:

BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1- English
HARDWARE SUPPORT 1 Year Base Warranty
COLOUR CHOICE Midnight Blue & 2.0 mega pixel Camera for CCFL Display
LCD 13.3" UltraSharp™ WXGA (1280x800) CCFL Display (220nits) with TrueLife
BIOMETRIC IDENTIFICATION Biometric Fingerprint Reader
MEMORY 4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
HARD DRIVE 250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
GRAPHICS CARD 128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS
OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load Drive, including SW
PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

BLUETOOTH Dell™ TrueMobile 355 internal Bluetooth Module - European
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-Card - Europe - Core 2 Duo Processors
POWER SUPPLY 65W AC Adapter
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)
Services & Software
ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SUPPORT 1Yr Accidental Damage Support
SECURITY SOFTWARE Norton™ Internet Security™ 2008 - 15 Month Protection - English

this spec came to £792.99 delivered :yikes:
i was wondering what you guys think of this spec and if i do get it should i change/upgrade any of it, also if anyone had this laptop is the WLED display worth the extra cash? and does it definetly come with the small remote control that fits inside? also if i wanted to get tv on this laptop i would need the external tuner i think?

if i didnt get this i was thinking of a hp laptop, maybe the dv2810? this is cheaper but im not sure whether to get it?

I hope my rambling on makes sense and would greatfully appreciate any advice or opinions.

Cheers

Ant
freecom2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a very good specification (and the battery is big at a 9 cell, although I would look into mAH of that) but at £800 that's quite dear.

Have you considered going down a completely different path and buying a smaller netbook like the MSI Wind, the Acer Aspire One and Asus EEE PC? These might be very good for note taking, most will do 3+ hours, will all be very lightweight (all around the 1kg mark) and will be substantially cheaper than this Dell laptop.
silverwolfalpha
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KingAnt1990)
Hey i know this is like the other threads but i was wondering if you could give me some advice, im looking to buy a new laptop for uni, i want somthing lightweight, reasonable battery life, originally i was planning to get the dell xps m1330, below is the spec i customised on their website:

BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache) edit
LCD 13.3" UltraSharp™ WXGA (1280x800) CCFL Display (220nits) with TrueLife
MEMORY 4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]

WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-Card - Europe - Core 2 Duo Processors
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)
Services & Software
SECURITY SOFTWARE Norton™ Internet Security™ 2008 - 15 Month Protection - English

this spec came to £792.99 delivered :yikes:
i was wondering what you guys think of this spec and if i do get it should i change/upgrade any of it, also if anyone had this laptop is the WLED display worth the extra cash? and does it definetly come with the small remote control that fits inside? also if i wanted to get tv on this laptop i would need the external tuner i think?

if i didnt get this i was thinking of a hp laptop, maybe the dv2810? this is cheaper but im not sure whether to get it?

I hope my rambling on makes sense and would greatfully appreciate any advice or opinions.

Cheers

Ant
the specs are great. way more than what you need if you just need your laptop for surfing/essays for uni. xps are built for mobile gaming(being a gamer i can tell you that). Your chosen laptop has 4g ram, which is great. core2duo 2.0ghz don't come cheap as well, and that geforce graphics card will have cost you around £100.
since the taxation in england is very heavy, you can buy one with the same spec cheaper in america(tax free states) and bring it back to the uk, pretending you have bought it in the uk(so no tax, instantly save around £50). i been looking for a good laptop as well and i am a gamer. cheap ones(from dell, same spec/better) can be bought from whole sellers on ebay, although i have no idea how they give you more for around average £100 cheaper. your xps one can be found on ebay around £500 plus they give you more stuff(think around 80wk battery, dunno if its true, 80 hours!!)
silverwolfalpha
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you should have got a letter from UCAS selling you laptops(from other companies). Acer does one for around £250, the specs are good enough for uni(2.0ghz, 2g ram etc)
WOLLSMOTH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
overpriced and overpowered. you can spend 300 pounds less, no problem.
KingAnt1990
Rep:
?
thanks guys i thought i might be going a bit too over the top lol, the only reason i looked specifically at this one was because of the 13" screen, is there any other recommendations of lightweight portable laptops? what are the opinions of the hp one i mentioned?
huangcjz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The WLED display is better for the environment (as CCFL's contain mercury), tend to be brighter, and use less energy so the battery life will be longer, so I'd say it's worth the extra, depending on how much extra it actually is. What are you actually going to be using the laptop for? And what would your ideal budget be (what would you like to spend ideally and what is the most you can spend?) Netbooks are great and cheap if you're looking at the ultimate in portability but don't have optical drives for DVDs or CDs.
KingAnt1990
Rep:
?
Well im doing computer science at uni (i should know more bout this kinda stuff lol) but at home i only use it for usual stuff, browsing net, msn, facebook, so i dont really need a gaming laptop i was looking for somthing light and portable really, probably the max i would spend is around £700
huangcjz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Then I would just go for the XPS M1330 with the base £680 spec, just adding the 9 cell battery as it's free. If you want to push the budget a little bit, then I'd suggest you spend the extra £30 on the 320GB hard drive rather than an extra 1GB of RAM, which you probably won't use that much of. You'd be surprised how quickly the hard drive fills up, and adding more RAM later on is easier than changing the hard drive should you ever want to. There aren't many other 13" laptops, I'd usually recommend a MacBook but it's a bit out of your price range, the software's much better but for pure hardware specs the Dell is better value for money in this price range, much as it pains me to say it. The MacBook's processor is faster but you most probably don't need the extra speed. I don't think you'll find a better 13" for the money than the Dell, Sony do some but they're not really good value for money.
KingAnt1990
Rep:
?
yeh ive been looking round and the XPS M1330 is the best i can find, lol i knew it was love at first sight when i saw it lol. I will probably do what you said and get the extra hard drive space, i cant imagine i will fill it up as my inspiron 2200 ive got now only has 40GB and that isnt full lol, but like you said it is easier to upgrade the ram, i did that on my inspiron, than it is the hardrive, also dells customer service are very good. I will probably get the accidental damage cover just in case i drop it or it goes head to head with a cupa`a`soup. One thing i was wondering is on the XPS M1330 is the keyboard full normal size for a laptop or shrunk down?
huangcjz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know, I've never actually seen one, but on my 13" MacBook it's very comfortable to type on, I don't think it's too small so I shouldn't imagine that you'll have any problems. Most 12"+ laptops have a normal size keyboard (without seperate number pad, which are only found on 15"+ I think, and which probably hardly anyone would ever need or use). Hope you like your new laptop, it looks good!
happy-and-lost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My Dell has the same specs (minus the fingerprint scanner, Intel Integrated graphics instead) and came to £400. £800 seems excessive.
KingAnt1990
Rep:
?
What model is that?
KingAnt1990
Rep:
?
Hey well im back, i think il go with the XPS M1330, my spec now is:

BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
LCD 13.3" UltraSharp™ WXGA (1280x800) CCFL Display (220nits) with TrueLife™
MEMORY 3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048+1x1024]

Accessories
CARRY CASES No Carry Case

Services & Software

Basically its the normal system but ive added on 1 years accidental damage support and 15 months norton protection, i dont think il get the bigger hard drive as i dont download movies so cant realistically see myself filling it up and i can always update the ram later if needs be. This comes to £763.00, my question now is does anyone know of any upcoming deals/vouchers?, i know there are sometimes 10/15% off vouchers which would be a blessing as that would bring it down to around £700. I did see an inspiron 1318 on the currys website but this is now and end of line model and not quite as specd up as what i wanted

Also if anyone has any advice or opinions i would greatly appreciate them

Cheers
Ant
KingAnt1990
Rep:
?
*bump*

Anyone have any info or opinions of the XPS M1330? Also does anyone know of any voucher codes/ special deals

Thanks
Ant
medistorm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You might want to watch out on the graphic card.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...worldwide.aspx

The keyboard on xps1330 is on the nicer side as far as laptop is concerned.
KingAnt1990
Rep:
?
O yeh i had read about this, are they now no longer using the faulty graphics cards?
medistorm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In Asia Pacific region. Those manufactured in Aug-08 still do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (907)
79.98%
Leave (227)
20.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed