The Student Room Group

Neighbour smoking weed - will it affect us?

I'm staying with my grandma for a while, but I'm worried for her health and my own. The neighbours have lived here for two years and she doesn't seemed bothered by it, plus I sleep at the front of the house to avoid the stench from the garden. However, I smell it every time I go to the bathroom to bathe or even to just brush my teeth. Ik I sound dramatic and if it's bad that, I should just go home, but I'm here to study and worry that it'll mess my brain up LOL.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it has negative health effects but if it's bothering you you could ask them to be more considerate?
idk why you would be worried about her health its only weed?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm staying with my grandma for a while, but I'm worried for her health and my own. The neighbours have lived here for two years and she doesn't seemed bothered by it, plus I sleep at the front of the house to avoid the stench from the garden. However, I smell it every time I go to the bathroom to bathe or even to just brush my teeth. Ik I sound dramatic and if it's bad that, I should just go home, but I'm here to study and worry that it'll mess my brain up LOL.

Join em homie weed is good for studying opens your third eye n all that
Weed doesn’t actually have any major health affects. There have been many medical studies to show that it can affect your memory, induce panic attacks in some people (though rare), and that there’s some evidence to show it can affect lungs and fertility. However, in terms of cannabis related deaths from smoking/inhaling cannabis alone, it’s not much. It’s like likely to have major health affects if you’ve smoked cannabis and then gone out for a drive, your chances of having a RTC are higher. But I would say despite it not having any huge affects, you should definitely ask your neighbour to be more considerate. At the end of the day, if it’s bothersome and you’re concerned, you’re neighbour shouldn’t mind compromising if you ask them.
Reply 5
Lord Almighty, why did I ask on here? Can someone PLEASE provide some solid advice, as all I'm receiving is trolling and spelling errors?
Lord Almighty, why did I ask on here? Can someone PLEASE provide some solid advice, as all I'm receiving is trolling and spelling errors?

I just gave you solid advice. Talk to your neighbour, explain to them your concerns and ask them to be a bit more considerate. And I’ve also given medically accurate advice too. Cannabis doesn’t have any major health OR memory affects. Any affects are very rare so it’s unlikely to ‘mess up your brain’ or anything like that. The only affect it’s having on you is that it’s distracting you, and that’s a valid reason. So just talk to your neighbour.
U should tell them to stop smoking it excessively because that **** is annoying and if they don’t I would report them tbh.
Reply 8
I just gave you solid advice. Talk to your neighbour, explain to them your concerns and ask them to be a bit more considerate. And I’ve also given medically accurate advice too. Cannabis doesn’t have any major health OR memory affects. Any affects are very rare so it’s unlikely to ‘mess up your brain’ or anything like that. The only affect it’s having on you is that it’s distracting you, and that’s a valid reason. So just talk to your neighbour.

Oh thank you! Apologies, it didn't appear. That's a relief! So it defo doesn't affect your memory?
Oh thank you! Apologies, it didn't appear. That's a relief! So it defo doesn't affect your memory?

It’s ok, I guess it takes a while to upload a reply post from when I posted it. And I can’t say it definitely doesn’t affect your memory, but it’s extremely extremely rare. I don’t have any stats for you, but the research shows it doesn’t affect memory in pretty much the majority of people. It would be like having an AB- blood type, not impossible but very very rare. So I can say with confidence that you shouldn’t worry about it affecting your memory at all. And in regards to yours and your grandmas health, it’s not going to do anything. Think about it, if weed was THAT harmful, how come sooooo many people smoke it and are healthy? They don’t get bad coughs like people who smoke, they don’t get cancer, they don’t suffer from memory loss, they don’t develop heart problems. It’s pretty much a harmless drug. It actually has more health benefits than it does affects, so don’t worry. Just talk to your neighbour and ask if they could maybe filter the smoke or smoke less because it’s distracting to you.
Reply 10
Everyone missing the fact that what your neighbour is doing is in fact illegal......
Do they drive? If they do, involve the police to save their life and someone else's.
Original post by barnetlad
Do they drive? If they do, involve the police to save their life and someone else's.

I’m not too sure. Cars come and go all the time, but it’s a big family (guessing 10 or so people) and I’m not that nosy aha, so I don’t know whether they’re their cars or visitors’.
Original post by Surnia
Everyone missing the fact that what your neighbour is doing is in fact illegal......

Real talk. I’m scared of being stabbed if I report it lmao.

REPORT IT! If you want them to stop, without confrontation, just report it. Plus, Im pretty sure they wont know that youre the one thats done it
won't do anything. You will ingest some thc but the amounts are trivial.

Only issue might be smoke inhalation and that probably isn't frequent enough to be a big deal.

One article I found: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-effects-secondhand-exposure-to-marijuana-smoke

Weed is effectively decriminalised in this country so if you report them most likely nothing will happen.

I am not sure if you are a troll at this point? What people are saying makes perfect sense. You just do not like it because it goes against your opinion/ misinformed preconceptions :biggrin:

Don't.
Original post by Synergy_
I am not sure if you are a troll at this point? What people are saying makes perfect sense. You just do not like it because it goes against your opinion/ misinformed preconceptions :biggrin:

What? I was saying it in response to the users who said I should join my neighbours and smoke with them, which is immature. Sorry that I’m anti-drugs, but I actually want a stable future. I’m grateful to those who have provided medical advice and reassured me that we’re not at harm, so maybe check again.
Original post by Synergy_
Don't.

To add, it will not affect your health. The worst thing it will be is a nuisance because of the smell.
At the very least talk to your neighbours first if you are intent on doing something about it.

What? I was saying it in response to the users who said I should join my neighbours and smoke with them, which is immature. Sorry that I’m anti-drugs, but I actually want a stable future. I’m grateful to those who have provided medical advice and reassured me that we’re not at harm, so maybe check again.

I was referring to those who were talking sense. I am not telling you to be pro-drugs, I was just saying do not label it as trolling just because it goes against your opinion. I only labelled you as one because I did not get why that was the logical conclusion you drew. Most wrote quite sensible responses. Controversial, but definitely not troll material.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending