Rosie Duffield Lab MP embroiled in transphobia row.

Watch
caravaggio2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/r...-a4514321.html

The controversy erupted after the Canterbury MP commented on a CNN tweet sharing the new American Cancer Society guidelines.
CNN's post said: “Individuals with a cervix are now recommended to start cervical cancers screening at 25 and continue through age 65, with HPV testing every five years.”
But Ms Duffield was flooded with complaints after she liked Piers Morgan's reply to the tweet which read: "Do you mean women?"
She then hit back at critics, tweeting: "I'm a 'transphobe' for knowing that only women have a cervix...?!
On Saturday, she dismissed allegations that she was transphobic as “just this week’s tedious ‘Communist’ pile on…”

Ironically she has bigger balls than 95% of male MPs.

How long until the grovelling apology?
Last edited by caravaggio2; 5 days ago
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)

The controversy erupted after the Canterbury MP commented on a CNN tweet sharing the new American Cancer Society guidelines.
CNN's post said: “Individuals with a cervix are now recommended to start cervical cancers screening at 25 and continue through age 65, with HPV testing every five years.”
But Ms Duffield was flooded with complaints after she liked Piers Morgan's reply to the tweet which read: "Do you mean women?"
She then hit back at critics, tweeting: "I'm a 'transphobe' for knowing that only women have a cervix...?!
On Saturday, she dismissed allegations that she was transphobic as “just this week’s tedious ‘Communist’ pile on…”

When I read into why Rosie Duffield MP was trending on Twitter, it was for the wrong reasons again. At the time of writing this post, her Twitter account is on private but given that we both follow each other on Twitter, I can see her tweets. Her most reason tweet was this (from 2 hrs ago): 'Please note there is a fake tweet circulating pretending to come from my account. This is not the first time. Please disregard it, I won't be tweeting again myself this weekend. I've locked my account to prevent any further fake tweets.' I'm not sure if her claim is genuine and I'll reserve judgement on that. However, the offending tweet wasn't only factually incorrect but it was blatantly transphobic and has caused a lot of hurt to the trans community. The very least she could've done was to apologise for the comments even if she claims it wasn't from herself - perhaps it was from one of her parliamentary staff or someone hacked into her account. Who knows but I cannot stress enough that the very least she could've done was make a heartfelt apology for the comment.
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

I knew Labour MPs were transphobic. Unlike the Tories who are anti-transphobic.
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Why is it transphobic to say only women have a cervix?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
When I read into why Rosie Duffield MP was trending on Twitter, it was for the wrong reasons again. At the time of writing this post, her Twitter account is on private but given that we both follow each other on Twitter, I can see her tweets. Her most reason tweet was this (from 2 hrs ago): 'Please note there is a fake tweet circulating pretending to come from my account. This is not the first time. Please disregard it, I won't be tweeting again myself this weekend. I've locked my account to prevent any further fake tweets.' I'm not sure if her claim is genuine and I'll reserve judgement on that. However, the offending tweet wasn't only factually incorrect but it was blatantly transphobic and has caused a lot of hurt to the trans community. The very least she could've done was to apologise for the comments even if she claims it wasn't from herself - perhaps it was from one of her parliamentary staff or someone hacked into her account. Who knows but I cannot stress enough that the very least she could've done was make a heartfelt apology for the comment.
Are you talking about the one regarding only a woman having a cervix? How exactly is that wrong or "transphobic" sorry?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
Why is it transphobic to say only women have a cervix?
Alas, to answer this would be 'transphobic'
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Posting to subscribe.

Spoiler:
Show
:rolleyes:
Pinkisk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
To understand this woman and why she said what she said, I think it's important to understand her identity politics.

She is a feminist politician, a member of the "Women's Parliamentary Labour Party", a beneficiary of women only parliamentary short lists (quotas for women in parliament). She appears to covertly oppose transsexuality i.e. she is a transexlusionary feminist. She has posted tweets where she likens niceness to tyranny...and where she states that feminism has a duty to fight niceness:

'Feminism has a particular duty to fight “the tyranny of niceness"'

She comes across like an extremist....and she was brought into office in a campaign by feminist groups and support from the Women's Equality Party (a feminist political party that has very little support from the electorate that allows members to belong to other political parties). Her campaign for election included gynocentric identitarian, sexist slogans like "vote Labia!", the word Labia being a play on the word Labour, meaning vote for women. I am surprised that people are surprised by her comments....

Now she has placed a block on her twitter account meaning only people that she follows are allowed to see her tweets, which implies that she has something to hide. I do not doubt that she has written bad things on twitter before and I do not doubt that she will be doing her utmost to delete those comments before making her account visible again, assuming that is she will ever do that.

It's also interesting how she calls people criticising her communist, whilst she herself subscribes to feminism, a marxist, communist ideology...
Last edited by Pinkisk; 5 days ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
To understand this woman and why she said what she said, I think it's important to understand her identity politics.

She is a feminist politician, a member of the "Women's Parliamentary Labour Party", a beneficiary of women only parliamentary short lists (quotas for women in parliament). She appears to oppose transsexuality i.e. she is a transexlusionary feminist. She has posted tweets where she likens niceness to tyranny...and where she states that feminism has a duty to fight niceness:

'Feminism has a particular duty to fight “the tyranny of niceness"'

She comes across like an extremist....and she was brought into office in a campaign by feminist groups and support from the Women's Equality Party (a feminist party that allows members to belong to other political groups and that went up against men's rights activist Philip Davies MP in a recent election, where they lost miserably and he won). Her campaign for election included gynocentric identitarian, sexist slogans like "vote Labia!", the word Labia being a play on the word Labour, meaning voting for Labour is voting for people that have labium i.e. people that are born women....I am surprised that people are surprised by her comments....

and now she has placed her twitter account in a protected status meaning only people that she follows are allowed to see her tweets, which implies that she has something to hide from people. I do not doubt that she has written bad things on twitter and I do not doubt that she will be doing her utmost to delete those comments before making her account visible again.
So do you actually take any sort of offence at the allegedly 'rude' tweet or is this more an excuse to rag on her feminist credentials broadly?
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
So do you actually take any sort of offence at the allegedly 'rude' tweet or is this more an excuse to rag on her feminist credentials broadly?
She doesn't support the idea that only women have cervixes for the same reason that you and I might support this idea. You support this idea because of biology. She supports this idea because she hates men and doesn't want to allow them to call themselves women. Her beliefs are entirely driven by hate and sexism, which are in turn driven by her ideology.

This is not the first time that she has caused controversy on twitter. During the recent Labour Party leadership elections she posted the following angry, sexist tweets full of grammatical errors:

“Labour Leadership contest, 2020. Many unsolicited, mansplaining emails, texts, tweets from stranger men instructing/explaining to me how to cast my vote. Cheers."

“Funnily enough, I may know a tad more about the candidates than you do!”

This is how she treats the electorate. She is a bigot, full of gendered hate and anger against other genders in favour of women. This is what drives her beliefs. I think its important to take this into consideration before supporting this individual and what she says.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 day ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
She doesn't support the idea that only women have cervixes for the same reason that you and I might support this idea. You support this idea because of biology. She supports this idea because she hates men and doesn't want to allow them to call themselves women. Her beliefs are entirely driven hate, sexism, identitarianism and gender politics. This is not the first time that she has caused controversy on twitter. During the recent Labour Party leadership elections she posted the following angry, sexist tweets full of grammatical errors:

“Labour Leadership contest, 2020. Many unsolicited, mansplaining emails, texts, tweets from stranger men instructing/explaining to me how to cast my vote. Cheers."

“Funnily enough, I may know a tad more about the candidates than you do!”

She is full of gendered hate and anger against men in favour of women. This is what drives her beliefs. I think its important to recognise this before supporting this individual and what she says.

For an insight into trans-exclusionary feminists and how they think, I recommend Gender Hurts by Shiela Jeffreys.
Im not sure you can say i care enough about the subject to say i support or oppose any part of it, least of all due to ideology. Simply due to the science of a man not being able to have a cervix.

Ah interesting tweets ill give her that. Doesnt this rather rest on the premise that the two points are mutually exclusive? After all you can be a man hater as well as viewing the immutable biological fact that a man cannot have a cervix?
Oh i dont take an opinion on her one way or the other. I'm just not sure you can put down this tweet to her hating on men.

Thanks for the recommendation.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

She’s of course 100% correct, I don’t like her politics but at least she isn’t bending the knee to this bull.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
1) Why is it considered transphobic to claim only women have a cervix?
2) Why should she apologise for her opinion?

These are genuine questions.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Alas, to answer this would be 'transphobic'
I genuinely want to understand why anyone would consider it transphobic. I've asked this question before, and I've seen others ask it who've been told to 'just Google it'.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I genuinely want to understand why anyone would consider it transphobic. I've asked this question before, and I've seen others ask it who've been told to 'just Google it'.
Same to be honest but, as you said, the usual response is something along the lines of 'do it yourself' - not the most helpful thing the world and rather ironic given the quaint catchphrase of 'get educated' these days :lol:
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Same to be honest but, as you said, the usual response is something along the lines of 'do it yourself' - not the most helpful thing the world and rather ironic given the quaint catchphrase of 'get educated' these days :lol:
Surely if someone is so quick to accuse of transphobia, they can explain why?

I'm not denying the existence of transgenderism, but I do think that taking biological sex into consideration is very important.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Surely if someone is so quick to accuse of transphobia, they can explain why?

I'm not denying the existence of transgenderism, but I do think that taking biological sex into consideration is very important.
Well put.
I'm half tempted to tag InArduisfouette into this, that user being TSR's self styled "expert" on the topic. I have a tiny suspicion it wouldnt be helpful though :rolleyes:

On a slightly more serious note though i do agree with you completely on this one. It's thoroughly unhelpful of certain people to base their entire argument on the premise of 'transphobia' but then make a point of refusing to actually elaborate on how this is the case.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Well put.
I'm half tempted to tag InArduisfouette into this, that user being TSR's self styled "expert" on the topic. I have a tiny suspicion it wouldnt be helpful though :rolleyes:

On a slightly more serious note though i do agree with you completely on this one. It's thoroughly unhelpful of certain people to base their entire argument on the premise of 'transphobia' but then make a point of refusing to actually elaborate on how this is the case.
You simply can't have any discussion on any intellectual level with people like that. It's impossible.

I'm open to hearing out anyone who can substantiate the claim that it's transphobic.

That being said, I'm no expert on transgenderism, nor do I pretend to be, so educate me.
Last edited by Occitanie; 5 days ago
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
"That's transphobic" is is used for the same reason "that's racist" is used , as a tool to close down debate or to say " This person is vile, don't listen to the points they are trying to make or you are as bad as them."
It was used for years to great effect over the grooming gangs scandal.
It's almost exclusively used by the left.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 5 days ago
JSG29
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
I would presume it could be considered transphobic because it is saying trans men who haven't had a total hysterectomy are women and trans women are not women. Given the struggles the trans community face for recognition, criticising people for being inclusive doesn't seem to be hugely helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (119)
37.78%
Take autumn exams (97)
30.79%
Look for a job (10)
3.17%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
2.86%
Take a year out (60)
19.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
6.35%

Watched Threads