Bf said he was only going out for a few drinks but now he’s drunk

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I don’t care how much he drinks and I let him always do anything he wants.
But when he told me yesterday he was going out for a few drinks with his friend I was like oh a few drinks you’ll end up drunk (cause he either doesn’t drink or he drinks loads) and he was like no this time I genuinely do just want a few drinks as I’m working tomorrow. I just laughed and he put his pinky out and did a pinky promise and was like swear on your life it’s only a few drinks.

Don’t know why but I’m upset he done that then started to get drunk. Like I normally don’t care when he goes out and gets drunk (still don’t) But dunno it’s just upset me a little bit...it’s a bit like do promises not mean anything to you.

Does anyone get what I mean?
Ghostlady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its ok. Normally when people go out for a few drinks, they lose their inhibitions and think, oh one more wont hurt. That one more ends up being drunk instead of just merry. A lot of people have done it. As long as hes not violent to you or others, does not treat you like dirt and isn't drinking all the time every weekend/weekdays with his mates constantly, and not neglecting you, then its ok for him to let his hair down every once in a while. I know he had work the following day, but that's down to him to be responsible for himself and get his butt into gear for work the next day, not matter how much he would be hanging.

If he starts making a habit of it and every time you /his mates go out that 1 pint turns into 7, then yeah I would be a bit narky with him. Constant binge drinking is not good.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Not much point in making a promise if you don’t stick to it. This said, highly predictable from his known drinking behaviour and the one thing leads to another aspect of going out for a few drinks. Give him some grief but I wouldn’t get it out of proportion.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It takes a lot of self control to go out, have one or two drinks and to stop drinking alcohol when everyone around you is still drinking.
Most men can't do it. some men can.

It takes a lot of integrity to always do your genuine best to do what you say you will do.
Most men have a certain amount of fickleness. Some men have more integrity.

Is there anything else about him that's bothering you?
Apart from his annoying broken promise?
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I get it. It's not about the drinking, that doesn't affect you, if he wants to spend the whole of his work day hungover then that's his choice. It's the fact that he broke the promise. If it's bothering you, talk to him. It's more likely that he was peer pressured into drinking more or just got carried away in the heat of the moment than him actively going out of his way to break your promise. But I understand why you're annoyed.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Some people lack self-control and do not know when to stop. Perhaps he is one of them. Or succumb to peer pressure as was suggested. You have to decide if that is a deal breaker for you.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Ghostlady)
Its ok. Normally when people go out for a few drinks, they lose their inhibitions and think, oh one more wont hurt. That one more ends up being drunk instead of just merry. A lot of people have done it. As long as hes not violent to you or others, does not treat you like dirt and isn't drinking all the time every weekend/weekdays with his mates constantly, and not neglecting you, then its ok for him to let his hair down every once in a while. I know he had work the following day, but that's down to him to be responsible for himself and get his butt into gear for work the next day, not matter how much he would be hanging.

If he starts making a habit of it and every time you /his mates go out that 1 pint turns into 7, then yeah I would be a bit narky with him. Constant binge drinking is not good.
I couldn’t care less that he goes out drinking and gets really drunk, I know that he says he’s going out for a few then ends up so drunk. I’m just hurt that he promised and swore on my life that it was only a few. Like he knows I don’t care about him drinking so he could have just said he’s going out, he didn’t need to say how much/little he was drinking
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Zarek)
Not much point in making a promise if you don’t stick to it. This said, highly predictable from his known drinking behaviour and the one thing leads to another aspect of going out for a few drinks. Give him some grief but I wouldn’t get it out of proportion.
I know it’s upset me that he promised and swore on my life, like I know it’s just a silly thing but it’s just like what was the need? It’s not like when he started to drink more he was like I’m sorry I know I wasn’t going to drink much but I’m enjoying myself, he didn’t say anything. I just ended up getting calls of him drunk. But I guess your right I shouldn’t be too hard on him
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
It takes a lot of self control to go out, have one or two drinks and to stop drinking alcohol when everyone around you is still drinking.
Most men can't do it. some men can.

It takes a lot of integrity to always do your genuine best to do what you say you will do.
Most men have a certain amount of fickleness. Some men have more integrity.

Is there anything else about him that's bothering you?
Apart from his annoying broken promise?
No apart from this we’re fine! I think I’m so upset by it cause it’s the first time he’s went back on something and went out his way to promise me something. I get quite anxious with change so I don’t know if that’s maybe making it worse, like because he said it was a few and he ended up being out until 1 it’s making me uneasy I don’t know
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
I get it. It's not about the drinking, that doesn't affect you, if he wants to spend the whole of his work day hungover then that's his choice. It's the fact that he broke the promise. If it's bothering you, talk to him. It's more likely that he was peer pressured into drinking more or just got carried away in the heat of the moment than him actively going out of his way to break your promise. But I understand why you're annoyed.
Glad you understand, I feel kind of silly for feeling like this it’s just really bothered me. Yeah he maybe was pressured to drink more, I just wish he hadn’t promised/swore on my life. Like there was no need for that. Even a quick text to say he was going to be drinking more than planned would have probably made me feel better about the situation cause he’d be going out his way at to apologise and make me aware of what was going on but he didn’t bother
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Was never a realistic or mature promise to try and hold someone to in the first place, what's next? sobbing fits because he won't admit a fart? If you want promises to mean something don't throw them around like nothing.
Ghostlady
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I couldn’t care less that he goes out drinking and gets really drunk, I know that he says he’s going out for a few then ends up so drunk. I’m just hurt that he promised and swore on my life that it was only a few. Like he knows I don’t care about him drinking so he could have just said he’s going out, he didn’t need to say how much/little he was drinking
He shouldnt feel the need to swear on someones life for something so trivial as having one too many.Not sure why hes done that. Maybe he felt the need to say it because he thought his drinking does bother you. Either way, breaking a promise on a small matter is one thing, but swearing on someones life then doing it is another matter.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
Was never a realistic or mature promise to try and hold someone to in the first place, what's next? sobbing fits because he won't admit a fart? If you want promises to mean something don't throw them around like nothing.
And it then as a real promise? Just cause it’s a little thing doesn’t mean he can break it? He’s the one who throwed the promise not me??
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ghostlady)
He shouldnt feel the need to swear on someones life for something so trivial as having one too many.Not sure why hes done that. Maybe he felt the need to say it because he thought his drinking does bother you. Either way, breaking a promise on a small matter is one thing, but swearing on someones life then doing it is another matter.
I don’t see why he’d feel like that tho. I never have an issue with him drinking and he doesn’t do it every single weekend either. Like I even had a joke about how he’ll end up getting drunk ? Yeah I know obviously I’m not literally gonna die but it’s just the principal behind it
Jadejadejade16
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I definitely understand what you mean

Its petty, but really annoying
Eventually if they keep doing it their words will lose weight, you can't take things they say seriously etc.

just have a word about it! if he cares enough he'll listen to what you have to say
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jadejadejade16)
I definitely understand what you mean

Its petty, but really annoying
Eventually if they keep doing it their words will lose weight, you can't take things they say seriously etc.

just have a word about it! if he cares enough he'll listen to what you have to say
Yeah it’s silly but at the same time I hate when people promise things and go back on it. I just don’t see why he needed to say that, majority of the time he plans to only go for a few and he ends up drunk and I’m used to it and don’t care. Your right, I’ll have a chat with him next time I see him
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
He broke a pinky promise?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
swearing on a life re a drink? Good grief
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
This is a great British art.

"Just a few" really does not mean a few
Anonymous #1
(Original post by YaliaV)
He broke a pinky promise?
Yes. But at the end of the day it’s still a promise and it means something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (174)
38.16%
Take autumn exams (143)
31.36%
Look for a job (16)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (20)
4.39%
Take a year out (76)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed