ASHWHS
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hopefully I ll get the required grades for veterinary in a few weeks time and at the moment I am more than happy to do a gap year and re apply however ...

I was just wondering what courses would be best to apply for in clearing? I don’t know how I ll feel on the day and just want to have some sort of plan C. Is there certain degrees to avoid for graduate veterinary? Another issue is I doubt I’d even have the funds for graduate veterinary and I know biology degrees don’t have the best employability. Is there perhaps other science degrees accepted for graduate level that have good employability stats by themselves?

For context I’m expecting results in bio chem and geography
Horsesarethebest
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think that any biological/ chemical focused science course is generally suitable for graduate entry vet med but each uni may require specific modules so I’d check their websites. Good luck for results day, you have a set of good subjects there that will keep your options open.
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm unsure if I misunderstand your initial message or not...

You are expecting to have the grades for veterinary in a few weeks - I'm assuming that is A level/Advanced highers? If you have the grades have you already applied for veterinary and would therefore be going to vet school or?
If you have the grades and have applied you're sorted
If you have the grades but haven't applied why would you apply for a course in clearing just apply for vet school this October?

If you have applied and don't get the grades... First phone your uni that you firmed as first choice and ask if they'll still take you! Many places available that haven't been due to people deferring this year. Infact phone every vet school I wouldn't be surprised if you're close you don't get a place. I suspect we will see a LOT of vet schools in clearing this year. If you don't get in through clearing though I would evaluate your application.

If you didn't get the grades and don't get in through clearing - your application next year will likely be the same result - so you need to decide if you are going to resit the A levels (this would be my choice) or do another degree and apply to veterinary postgraduate. A lot of vet schools still have A level requirements for postgrads so see if your grades would be compatible with that. A good degree to lead onto vet would be bioveterinary or zoology. But considering the fees (its 3 x £9,250 + living costs) then you would have to pay your tuition fees upfront for each year for veterinary I would advise an A level resit over this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads