Would you "snitch" on someone who could get you killed?

Watch
DaHamz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Okay so let's imagine you were walking home from work and witnessed someone getting raped/murdered or any other horrible crime by a group of people and before you could run away/get help ,they stop you and tell you that if you ever tell a soul/snitch then you will be dead aswell your love ones will also be targets.

Now imagining you know these people were dead serious and looked as if they have the power to destroy/end your life,would you tell someone or would you just keep quit?

some things to consider

1.the gang know your identity.
2.the gang are known for their brutality.
vix.xvi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by DaHamz)
Okay so let's imagine you were walking home from work and witnessed someone getting raped/murdered or any other horrible crime by a group of people and before you could run away/get help ,they stop you and tell you that if you ever tell a soul/snitch then you will be dead aswell your love ones will also be targets.

Now imagining you know these people were dead serious and looked as if they have the power to destroy/end your life,would you tell someone or would you just keep quit?

some things to consider

ummmm good question

if they know my identity and they're know for their brutality, i think i might keep my mouth shut :/
ill probs tell SOMEONE though...don't think i can handle that burden

actually, i just re-read your post. If it was a serious crime like rape or murder i think id call the police anonymously
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If the gang know my identity then I'm probably not a very sensible chap anyway to become acquainted with their leadership team and management structure.

The legals in the room will correct me I'm sure but isn't failing to report when you can tell a crime has been committed itself a crime? Either perverting the course of justice or conspiracy?

If they had just committed murder then the logical following would be to then murder me since I'm a witness. I'd either be a dodgy enough bloke that they could trust me or I'd be dead.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
No, I'm not a grass anyway.
2_versions
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Nope. Not with gang involvement. Even if I found refuge in a bigger gang, the snitching would not keep me safe for long.
There's no way to defend yourself in that situation, not from a group.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I wouldnt be able to live with myself after witnessing something like that and not saying anything.
So I would go to the police.
161BMW
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

some things to consider

Report anonymously to crime stoppers.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
If the gang know my identity then I'm probably not a very sensible chap anyway to become acquainted with their leadership team and management structure.

The legals in the room will correct me I'm sure but isn't failing to report when you can tell a crime has been committed itself a crime? Either perverting the course of justice or conspiracy?

If they had just committed murder then the logical following would be to then murder me since I'm a witness. I'd either be a dodgy enough bloke that they could trust me or I'd be dead.
I was under the impression that whilst there is a moral responsibility there is no legal imperative demanding you go to the police;
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q514.htm
friendz_till_end
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

some things to consider

You should give an anonymous tip to your local police station and if things get serious they should pt you under protective custody.
Hope that helped.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thats rather a tough one to be honest. Whilst morally i'd be inclined to report the gangsters i'd have to put the safety of myself and my family first. Not overly wanting to come home to find theyd been hacked to death by savages as vengeance.
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Problem is op if you don’t report it you might carry this burden with you for the rest of your life.
zanzea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
realistically yes, i'd probably keep quiet out of fear
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by friendz_till_end)
You should give an anonymous tip to your local police station and if things get serious they should pt you under protective custody.
Hope that helped.
No one is likely going to jail over an anon tip tho, and the police/court ect wouldn't fund protective custody unless you gave more than anon tips. And what are you going to do? stay in a police cell the rest of your life?
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You should ask adults instead of kids.
Libbyc16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
if life is hard
death is easy
Geraldthegoat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If I knew they were stronger than me and I couldn’t protect the girl, I would make an anonymous tip of what had happened to the girl and try to meet her if she needed me to make a statement. But overall it’s her choice, if she wanted to go to the police or not. If she did then I would stand by her and tell the police that I was being threatened.
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If gang pull up, are you gonna back your bredrin?
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm minding my business tbh
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 04MR17)

Nope, not a crime. Unless it's something really extreme like you're a copper or something.

Even then you're more likely to get sacked than nicked tbf
Synergy_
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It sucks, but I wouldn't snitch. The guilt would gnaw at me, but at the same time, I can not bear the idea of the possibility of losing my loved ones due to my actions. As well as not wanting to live with paranoia all the time.
Last edited by Synergy_; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (144)
37.31%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.35%
Look for a job (13)
3.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.4%
Take a year out (67)
17.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.22%

Watched Threads