csmith20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This is sort of a two part question so please do feel free to answer only one if you’re unsure about the other because I’m really stuck

Firstly, I already have 3 a levels, but I’ve since changed my mind about what I want to study at uni and so require different ones. I don’t want to go to a college to study them so is it possible to pay to sit them with a local exam centre and just study for them privately? I’m aware it would be a lot more difficult without a teacher but I just want to know if I could just show up to the local college and sit the exams if I pay for them - even if they are my second set of a levels.

Secondly - id be wanting to study STEM subjects whereas my first round were humanities - I got Bs in my maths and double science GCSEs and as I didn’t have any interest I didn’t put too much effort in - if I worked very hard at STEM a levels would I manage to get good grades with those GCSE? Or do you have to be a naturally very science oriented person to do well at A levels?

Thank you!!
anasaleem039
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by csmith20)
This is sort of a two part question so please do feel free to answer only one if you’re unsure about the other because I’m really stuck

Firstly, I already have 3 a levels, but I’ve since changed my mind about what I want to study at uni and so require different ones. I don’t want to go to a college to study them so is it possible to pay to sit them with a local exam centre and just study for them privately? I’m aware it would be a lot more difficult without a teacher but I just want to know if I could just show up to the local college and sit the exams if I pay for them - even if they are my second set of a levels.

Secondly - id be wanting to study STEM subjects whereas my first round were humanities - I got Bs in my maths and double science GCSEs and as I didn’t have any interest I didn’t put too much effort in - if I worked very hard at STEM a levels would I manage to get good grades with those GCSE? Or do you have to be a naturally very science oriented person to do well at A levels?

Thank you!!
1) You would have to contact a local exam centre and see if they can help, they should be your first point of call. Alternatively you could try online a levels, but i am not too sure how exams would be conducted and if any practicals could be conducted also.

2) People with those grades have done STEM subjects and have gotten on ok in my experience. I will say though that they can struggle a bit and if you are planning on self teaching yourself, which may make it quite difficult if you aren't science oriented. if you work hard enough though you can definitely get any grade you want if you put in the effort.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (117)
25.43%
Better than expected (93)
20.22%
Worse than expected (250)
54.35%

Watched Threads