The Student Room Group

I think I have ADHD but my parents won’t have me tested

I’m almost certain I have ADHD. All of the signs are there. But there’s a little shred of doubt in me “what if it’s just my personality, not a brain issue” and dumb stuff like that. They don’t make sense, but they’re always questioning it. Whenever I ask my parents, they say “no you’re fine, there’s nothing wrong with you”. I don’t think having it is something wrong with me, I want to know. I would explain so many of the things that I do, that I can’t help, even when I really try.
About 2 hours ago, I was talking to my dad. He’d had a little to drink (not drunk) and admitted to me that my parents have long suspected that I do in fact have it, but are afraid of me being prescribed medication which would alter my brain chemistry. I don’t want that either, but I still want a professional diagnosis and tips or methods (or I don’t know what) on improving. I need confirmation. What do I do?
Should I keep asking for an appointment for diagnosis or should I give up. If I should keep asking, how can I convince them to let me?

Edit: I’m 16 but I really don’t want to go behind my parents back
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Billycatnorbert
I’m almost certain I have ADHD. All of the signs are there. But there’s a little shred of doubt in me “what if it’s just my personality, not a brain issue” and dumb stuff like that. They don’t make sense, but they’re always questioning it. Whenever I ask my parents, they say “no you’re fine, there’s nothing wrong with you”. I don’t think having it is something wrong with me, I want to know. I would explain so many of the things that I do, that I can’t help, even when I really try.
About 2 hours ago, I was talking to my dad. He’d had a little to drink (not drunk) and admitted to me that my parents have long suspected that I do in fact have it, but are afraid of me being prescribed medication which would alter my brain chemistry. I don’t want that either, but I still want a professional diagnosis and tips or methods (or I don’t know what) on improving. I need confirmation. What do I do?
Should I keep asking for an appointment for diagnosis or should I give up. If I should keep asking, how can I convince them to let me?

how badly does it affect your life? tbh adhd meds like adderall can be pretty bad for your health.
still, it wouldn't hurt to see a professional, they might give you some tips. you don't have to go on meds if you don't want to. how old are you? are you old enough to see your gp on your own? or maybe see your school counselor?
How old are you? If you are 16 or above you can seek medical help without your parents knowing
You don't need permission from parents to see a doctor if over 16, if you are under 16 there are no doubt excited online that you could meet with instead?
Original post by Ciel.
how badly does it affect your life? tbh adhd meds like adderall can be pretty bad for your health.
still, it wouldn't hurt to see a professional, they might give you some tips. you don't have to go on meds if you don't want to. how old are you? are you old enough to see your gp on your own? or maybe see your school counselor?

I’m 16 but I definitely don’t want to go behind their back. Honestly the symptoms are quite bad (I think) I kind of want the diagnosis as a kind of pass on things (not in a bad way). I’m a drummer, so most often when my minds wondering, my hands and foot are tapping away, and I’ll get asked to stop, and it’s really difficult because I don’t know, and then people get angry with me and aaarrrggghhhh. Or when I accidentally interrupt someone while their talking. I feel like a lot of the circumstances that have made me feel really bad could actually be a diagnosed condition. I don’t know if that helps but I want to know.
I don’t want to sneak around my parents wishes though
Reply 5
I’m 16 but I definitely don’t want to go behind their back. Honestly the symptoms are quite bad (I think) I kind of want the diagnosis as a kind of pass on things (not in a bad way). I’m a drummer, so most often when my minds wondering, my hands and foot are tapping away, and I’ll get asked to stop, and it’s really difficult because I don’t know, and then people get angry with me and aaarrrggghhhh. Or when I accidentally interrupt someone while their talking. I feel like a lot of the circumstances that have made me feel really bad could actually be a diagnosed condition. I don’t know if that helps but I want to know.
I don’t want to sneak around my parents wishes though

caring about your health isn't 'sneaking around your parents wishes'. sometimes parents can be ignorant. it sucks but that's life. just see your gp, you're old enough, they'll never find out.
Can we ask what your symptoms are?
Reply 7
If you don't want to go behind their back, tell them up front that you're going to get it checked and then go get it checked.
Original post by Anonymous
Can we ask what your symptoms are?

Poor attention, can’t focus, always fidgeting, interrupt people when they’re talking, finishing people’s sentences, always bored, can’t do one activity for more than between 5-45 minutes (except for drumming which really helps), making careless mistakes in work all the time even whilst specifically knowing what I’m doing, can’t stay in one position for long, everlasting energy and desire to go burn energy (I really want to ply tennis even though I don’t play tennis). I’m sure there’s a few more that a can’t think of. These are the main ones
Poor attention, can’t focus, always fidgeting, interrupt people when they’re talking, finishing people’s sentences, always bored, can’t do one activity for more than between 5-45 minutes (except for drumming which really helps), making careless mistakes in work all the time even whilst specifically knowing what I’m doing, can’t stay in one position for long, everlasting energy and desire to go burn energy (I really want to ply tennis even though I don’t play tennis). I’m sure there’s a few more that a can’t think of. These are the main ones

I don't really know what I was exciting, but it's impossible to know through a lost whether you have ADHD, if you are that convinced you should definitely go and see a doctor. What you have described sounds like every teenager to me, only a professional will know if you have it.
I would think about what you are hoping to gain from a diagnosis. If you are not willing to take any medication, maybe you would consider another form of behavioural therapy? Having it just so you can have a pass for certain behaviours doesn't sound like the most healthy suggestion, if you use it as an excuse for things you will annoy Family and friends pretty quickly. Also you may want to think about long term effects, e.g. you will have to mention it on job applications in the future of you want workplaces to make allowances for you. You will need to mention it on travel insurance or on health/life insurance in the future (which you will need if you get a mortgage)
*expecting
*expecting

You know you can just edit your post right?
You know you can just edit your post right?

I can't, because they're anon.
I can't, because they're anon.

Oh. That’s a shame. I might not have ADHD or ADD but I want to find out. I don’t know what to do 😖
Oh. That’s a shame. I might not have ADHD or ADD but I want to find out. I don’t know what to do 😖

We have literally told you what to do, I don't know what other advice we can give See a doctor, try and get diagnosis confirmed. Tell your parents of you want to. We can't diagnose this on the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest