Turn on thread page Beta

finding unique dresses? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I made a thread about this before - I need an absolutely stunning dress (who doesn't! :p: ). it's for my boyfriend's graduation ceremony.
    Now last time in the thread we ended up with a vivien of holloway dress, but just found out one of the graduates is very likely to wear her vivien of holloway dress to graduation. now obviously I can't look like her.
    A) it's her big day, not mine, even if the dress will be under robes at first, it won't at the after party.
    b) it's always a bit embarrasing if you show up with the same dress as someone else...

which leads me to wonder though... if I do buy a dress off the highstreet - I'm running the same risk again though? :woo:
    Or will everyone try and be very unique for their graduation and only guests buying stuff from the high street?

I don't even know how graduation works to be honest. Do they do it in stages? I know everyone basically graduates on the same day at my university, so that would be over 1000 people or so. Or do they do it in sittings... first the bachelors in maths, then the masters in maths, then the bachelors in biology, then the masters in biology... etc?
    I know that definitely less than 20 girls in my year (maybe even only 10) are graduating with a bachelors this year along with my boyfriend.
    So having the same dress as possible only 10 other girls would be very unlucky ... same as 1000 others though... OMG :-|

ReputationRep:
    im always on a night out trying to avoid looking like everyone else. 2bh if u do want a unique dress i would try boutique/vintage stores. I would advise carnaby street, portobello road, I havent really been to a graduation so 2bh i would think everyone including the guests would probably buy stuff from the high street. Sorry im not much help

ReputationRep:
    I think it's best to get a dress that looks truly awesome on you even if it isn't unique-unique. Sometimes people try too hard to be unique and it just doesn't look that 'right'. There was someone else wearing my karen millen dress at my ball but I wasn't too bothered. She hadn't even bothered to wear a strapless bra (halterneck dress :rolleyes: ) so it looked pretty meh on her I thought.

I love karen millen personally but pretty expensive. I know it's not unique but debenhams have a gorgeous range of blue-y dresses atm.

That probably wasn't much help. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I think it's best to get a dress that looks truly awesome on you even if it isn't unique-unique. Sometimes people try too hard to be unique and it just doesn't look that 'right'. There was someone else wearing my karen millen dress at my ball but I wasn't too bothered. She hadn't even bothered to wear a strapless bra (halterneck dress :rolleyes: ) so it looked pretty meh on her I thought.

I love karen millen personally but pretty expensive. I know it's not unique but debenhams have a gorgeous range of blue-y dresses atm.

That probably wasn't much help. Good luck!
    Thanks! No, you have helped.

I was probably just over reacting. I just thought I had the dress sorted out (hadn't bought it yet of course) and then found out someone else is wearing it.
    I do think I'll look for another dress, since I haven't bought it and she has and is definitely going to wear it.
    If worst comes to worst and I don't find one I can wear my black dress or take another one i have to a tailors and have it altered quickly, as it's not quite right anymore.

I would love something in white or silver though :o: , so now I am tempted to buy a new dress. Pink or blue would also be good.
    I just want something nice an bright and the other dresses are black and dark green.

thanks for suggesting karen millen and debenhams though, I hadn't thought of that. I just went straight to the monsoon website and nearlly threw up.

My best dresses are from there, but now everything they has looks disgusting in my personal opinion. But that's because i'm not 'in' anymore and too old to just follow fashion that doesn't suit me. i need it fitted around my waist and with straps, can't do strapless. And not maxi dress.
    So basically, I'm screwed! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fungirl1234)
    im always on a night out trying to avoid looking like everyone else. 2bh if u do want a unique dress i would try boutique/vintage stores. I would advise carnaby street, portobello road, I havent really been to a graduation so 2bh i would think everyone including the guests would probably buy stuff from the high street. Sorry im not much help
    Yeah, i missed the market a portobello the other day, because we thought it was on saturdays, hehe, so definitely going back there. I was thinking of finding a coat there, but yeah, i might find a nice dress there, thanks! I love the stores where they have young designers!

ReputationRep:
    Woo, I'm glad I helped!

gorgeous blue dress:
    http://www.karenmillen.com/fcp/produ...od903000051543

silver?
    http://www.karenmillen.com/fcp/produ...od903000051540

currently my favourite dress on the KM site:
    http://www.karenmillen.com/fcp/produ...od903000051446 I really want to try it on - I wish I could afford it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Woo, I'm glad I helped!

gorgeous blue dress:
    http://www.karenmillen.com/fcp/produ...od903000051543

silver?
    http://www.karenmillen.com/fcp/produ...od903000051540

currently my favourite dress on the KM site:
    http://www.karenmillen.com/fcp/produ...od903000051446 I really want to try it on - I wish I could afford it!
    oh wow, those dresses really are beautiful! :eek: And not pregnancy wear!!!
    Those are quite amazing! I keep telling myself I'll wear it to his and to my own graduation - so I can spend double! But we know that will most likely not happen. I'll be so thrilled I'm graduating and getting a job with lots of money, that I'll want to buy something again! I'm so bad when it comes to dresses actually, I never thought I would be :o:

ReputationRep:
    the silver one and the black and white flower one are gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    easiest way to make sure nobody else is wearing the same dress is wear something you already have, get it from a charity shop or get an old item from ebay or something.

alternatively, you could slightly alter a dress you buy. perhaps buy a plain silver or white dress, then sew on some lace or a corsage or perhaps add a sash.

even if you have the same dress as someone else it won't really matter if it's something plain and you've accessorised differently. it's going to be a lot more noticeable if you go for a unique statement dress and someone else has it.

edit: just wanted to say i love that silver dress minimo posted

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind shipping from America (and if you've got time to wait - it'll take about two weeks) then modcloth.com might be worth a look.

They do lots of vintage inspired/indie dresses and you can find some really nice, original stuff on there.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    like minimo said, i recommend Karen Millen. goegous dresses and theyre still in the summer sale i think? the cuts are really well made and the fabrics are gorgeous. if you lived in manchester i would have suggested going to Afflecks to find unique cool glamd dresses. but i guess there will be lots of places in London that have nice boutique places. try looking at www.no-angel.com i found some gorgoues stuff from there

ReputationRep:
    OMG those Karen Millen dresses are soo nice

ReputationRep:
    The entire Karen Millen AW collection is orgasmic, have a look at the stuff under 'New In' for a taste...I could buy everything (if I had a millionaire husband).

Those tartan minis and cowl neck jumpers. Oh goddddd.

And yes, back to dresses. I really think KM ones are worth the money. The fabricis so nice and cut is esquisite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    oh wow, those dresses really are beautiful! :eek: And not pregnancy wear!!!
    Those are quite amazing! I keep telling myself I'll wear it to his and to my own graduation - so I can spend double! But we know that will most likely not happen. I'll be so thrilled I'm graduating and getting a job with lots of money, that I'll want to buy something again! I'm so bad when it comes to dresses actually, I never thought I would be :o:
    Trust me when you spend 160 quid on a dress, you WILL wear it more than once. I'm waiting for another opportunity to wear mine especially seeing as I had food poisoning for my ball and felt (and looked) a mess.

ReputationRep:
    If you live in London you'll be fine; there are sooo many vintage shops with gorgeous dresses. I reccomend Beyond Retro near Brick Lane, or Rokit in Covent Garden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    If you live in London you'll be fine; there are sooo many vintage shops with gorgeous dresses. I reccomend Beyond Retro near Brick Lane, or Rokit in Covent Garden.
    Cool, thanks for the tips! I may live in London, but that doesn't mean I have any idea where to go shopping! I'm only here as a student, so most of my friends aren't from London either originally. actually all my London friends are guys, lol! So no clue about shopping for dresses.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend a vintage shop too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    Cool, thanks for the tips! I may live in London, but that doesn't mean I have any idea where to go shopping! I'm only here as a student, so most of my friends aren't from London either originally. actually all my London friends are guys, lol! So no clue about shopping for dresses.
    You should just set aside a day for looking for a dress! You're bound to find something in Topshop on Oxford Street (if you haven't been before, it does loads of brands that aren't Topshop as well as vintage stuff), and if you do want something a bit different then the best vintage shops are in Camden (walk down past the lock and turn left, that's the best part of the market).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone for your replies! They are all really appreciated! And thanks for the ideas, death.drop! I do have a few tailors and dress makers down the road who could change a dress to make it nicer! (if I have the money, haha).

and yeah, KM is looking good this season. Last time I went in i didn't like much. Maybe it's a sign that fashion is going my way again .

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.