Mental illness meant completing far less work each year than I should have.

Watch
TTD187
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am in my fifth year of university. This is my last chance to graduate, so it's definite that I will be failing the course.

I started university after a long and complex academic history prior to that, but I was happy to finally be there, though shortly after getting there, I started to experience intense anxiety and depression. Ultimately, I had to repeat the year (no caps). I managed to complete first year my second time round which I was happy with.

Second year, for some reason, I started letting my mental illness get the best of me again, so had to repeat that one too.

I almost managed to finish my second year. I was short by two pieces of coursework in two modules which totalled 40 credits. I was lucky in that they let me finish those two while doing third year, however, I managed to let myself ruin my chances again. Of everything this year, I've managed to only complete my dissertation and a presentation. I have 12 days to finish 6 pieces of work, two of which are basically impossible without having done prior work for it.

In all of this, I'm still not ready to give up. I'm so far in debt now that there's nothing that means going for an extra year isn't worth it, but the university has a 5 year registration period. What are my options? If I manage to finish 4 of those pieces of work, I'll have a total of 320 credits, meaning I only need another 40. Is it possible to finish this somewhere else? What are my options?

I'm hoping given the issues of lockdown, they can relax the rules a little bit regarding the registration period, but if that's not the case, I plan to take a year out and try to find a placement of some sort to start building up my options for my career. I'm simply not ready to give up on this as if I do, I feel like it's my entire life down the drain. If I can go to another university and commute (So it'd have to be relatively close to Nottingham), then I'd be happy to.

I'm not here looking for pity and I'm not here for anyone to antagonise me on the situation. I'm trying to beat my illness, so please, any ideas or suggestions would be grateful!

Ta muchly
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you looked into getting disabled students allowance? :hugs: it's not financial help paid to you (the name is kind of a misnomer) but it is paid to the uni so they can provide things like equipment and a mentor.
The equipment is more geared towards people with physical disabilities but you could still find it useful. The thing i found really helpful was the mentor, unlike a course tutor they arent busy dealing with the rest of your class and can help you work through assessments and things.
They can also fight your corner (the disability office can also do this) if you need extensions, my uni also did a thing called a personal learning support plan which was just instructions for the tutors of how best to support me.
Best of luck, you can do this :hugs:
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TTD187)
I am in my fifth year of university. This is my last chance to graduate, so it's definite that I will be failing the course.

I started university after a long and complex academic history prior to that, but I was happy to finally be there, though shortly after getting there, I started to experience intense anxiety and depression. Ultimately, I had to repeat the year (no caps). I managed to complete first year my second time round which I was happy with.

Second year, for some reason, I started letting my mental illness get the best of me again, so had to repeat that one too.

I almost managed to finish my second year. I was short by two pieces of coursework in two modules which totalled 40 credits. I was lucky in that they let me finish those two while doing third year, however, I managed to let myself ruin my chances again. Of everything this year, I've managed to only complete my dissertation and a presentation. I have 12 days to finish 6 pieces of work, two of which are basically impossible without having done prior work for it.

In all of this, I'm still not ready to give up. I'm so far in debt now that there's nothing that means going for an extra year isn't worth it, but the university has a 5 year registration period. What are my options? If I manage to finish 4 of those pieces of work, I'll have a total of 320 credits, meaning I only need another 40. Is it possible to finish this somewhere else? What are my options?

I'm hoping given the issues of lockdown, they can relax the rules a little bit regarding the registration period, but if that's not the case, I plan to take a year out and try to find a placement of some sort to start building up my options for my career. I'm simply not ready to give up on this as if I do, I feel like it's my entire life down the drain. If I can go to another university and commute (So it'd have to be relatively close to Nottingham), then I'd be happy to.

I'm not here looking for pity and I'm not here for anyone to antagonise me on the situation. I'm trying to beat my illness, so please, any ideas or suggestions would be grateful!

Ta muchly
It sounds obvious but have you spoken to the university about your options now? Unis are being flexible in all sorts of ways due to coronavirus so it may be that they could offer you some support whether it be by using their no detriment policy to give you a grade based on previous work, extending the date the work has to be in by, making an exception to the 5 year rule or something else. I don't know but I would really urge you to discuss it with the uni - your tutor, student services, the disablity office or whoever you have found helpful in the past, to see what they can suggest. No one will want to see you fall at this last hurdle when you have fought so hard to get there .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (167)
24.93%
Better than expected (139)
20.75%
Worse than expected (364)
54.33%

Watched Threads