Shame surrounding my 2:2 Law Degree

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,
Over the last two years my mother has had health issues with Cancer and I was hospitalised last year for a relapse in mental health related to c-PTSD.

My best-friend dropped out of uni in her first year and keeps attempting to convince me that I should be proud I even completed the degree with everything I had going on.

I know my circumstances weren’t the best, but I still feel so ashamed about my results.
Should I be as ashamed as I feel about my degree, or should I be proud I even finished it?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,
Over the last two years my mother has had health issues with Cancer and I was hospitalised last year for a relapse in mental health related to c-PTSD.

My best-friend dropped out of uni in her first year and keeps attempting to convince me that I should be proud I even completed the degree with everything I had going on.

I know my circumstances weren’t the best, but I still feel so ashamed about my results.
Should I be as ashamed as I feel about my degree, or should I be proud I even finished it?
I got a 2.2 graduated this year and was happy as I got a 40% basically avthird for my second year

It sounds like a good achievement for what you had to deal with imo.

Not everyone has a good experience at uni I also repeated second year due to mental health concerns and am happy it is now over.

Why are you ashamed?
Anonymous #1
It just doesn’t seem like an accomplishment in respects of the vast amount of individuals that have attained 1sts and 2:1s.
Then there is the matter of looking at the Bar course, which favours 2:1 graduates.

I wish I had a “tell-good” story whereupon I went against the odds and thrived. I’m the First in my family to get a degree, but still, I can’t muster any sense of ecstasy from my results.
I got a 2.2 graduated this year and was happy as I got a 40% basically avthird for my second year

It sounds like a good achievement for what you had to deal with imo.

Not everyone has a good experience at uni I also repeated second year due to mental health concerns and am happy it is now over.

Why are you ashamed?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Also recently finished with a 2:2.
I know it's not an accomplishments and it's nothing to be proud off. But considering i was/still is suffering with mental health problems, there was no way i was gonna thrive. Just gotta accept the fact and its outcome. No point dwelling on it. Just gotta move forward and keep trying.
Jamesbd36
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends on the person, if u were struggling from get go then we'll done if u were capable of m more but left everything to last minute then **** happens
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
It just doesn’t seem like an accomplishment in respects of the vast amount of individuals that have attained 1sts and 2:1s.
Then there is the matter of looking at the Bar course, which favours 2:1 graduates.

I wish I had a “tell-good” story whereupon I went against the odds and thrived. I’m the First in my family to get a degree, but still, I can’t muster any sense of ecstasy from my results.
I try not to compare myself to other people and their achievements too much - everyone's success is relative to their own expectations. Just because others got a 2.1 or 1st doesn't mean these people won't encounter the same difficulties in finding employment.

Also employers look beyond degree classification so if you gain work experience and interview well you could surpass those who achieved higher classifications?

This is what I aim to do despite getting a 2.2.

I don't know much about law other than it is very competitive -

Did you expect to get a 2.1 and enter the bar course?
Anonymous #1
I’ve been accepted onto my Master’s programme with my classification, but I know how difficult getting into law with a 2:2 can be so naturally, I’m ashamed to tell people. It seems that I got onto my programme just because of my mitigating circumstances too, so that’s not exactly broadening the belief in myself.

I got a 2:1 for my Final Year, but my Second Year results pulled me down.
My Mum keeps saying how proud she is that I have a degree, but she doesn’t have GCSEs so it’s not as though it’s hard to impress her.
I try not to compare myself to other people and their achievements too much - everyone's success is relative to their own expectations. Just because others got a 2.1 or 1st doesn't mean these people won't encounter the same difficulties in finding employment.

Also employers look beyond degree classification so if you gain work experience and interview well you could surpass those who achieved higher classifications?

This is what I aim to do despite getting a 2.2.

I don't know much about law other than it is very competitive -

Did you expect to get a 2.1 and enter the bar course?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I’ve been accepted onto my Master’s programme with my classification, but I know how difficult getting into law with a 2:2 can be so naturally, I’m ashamed to tell people. It seems that I got onto my programme just because of my mitigating circumstances too, so that’s not exactly broadening the belief in myself.

I got a 2:1 for my Final Year, but my Second Year results pulled me down.
My Mum keeps saying how proud she is that I have a degree, but she doesn’t have GCSEs so it’s not as though it’s hard to impress her.
Tbh I don't think that people would really care once you start the masters programme. A bit like how a level results become irrelevant after 1st year.

You have a second chance at making up for a 2.2 in your masters. If you got a 2.1 in final year which is harder than second year and have been accepted for a masters there is no reason why you should not feel like you don't belong there academically. If the admissions thought you weren't capable they would have rejected you.

None of my family have a degree and it is just my friends who have got 2.1 degrees. Some have found graduate employment whereas others are unemployed for 2 years.

Don't worry about impressing others - your lucky to have a mum who doesn't value you on academic achievement - a few people I know have severe parental pressure to achieve top grades and career success.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (127)
24.1%
Better than expected (114)
21.63%
Worse than expected (286)
54.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed