Should women be allowed to breastfeed in public?

Watch
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
1st to 7th August 2020 is World Breastfeeding Week, with this year's theme being about supporting women who choose to breastfeed. Breastfeeding can be quite a controversial topic, so here on TSR we wanted to have some open, friendly discussions about opinions on breastfeeding.

Should women be allowed to breastfeed in public? Why or why not?

REMINDER:
Spoiler:
Show
Any threads created for World BF Week are for discussions, so please remain respectful and polite to those who may have a differing opinion. Any rule-breaking posts will be removed as per TSR guidelines. Thanks!
Last edited by DrawTheLine; 5 days ago
Karisa96
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I think women should be able to breastfeed in public.
We have no control when baby gets hungry.
Providing its done in a dignified way yes why not!!!!!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This is still a controversial thing? :confused:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I have made the decision not to do it myself but yes of course people should be able to feed their baby in the way they want to and not feel ashamed of it.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yes, why not!! And leaving this argument aside breasts are exploited in so many way it would be ridiculous hypocrisy to say otherwise. I wouldn’t even make the proviso that it has to be dignified, or course try to make some comfortable provisions for it, but it’s not as if it’s a flaunting or sexual thing and a glimpse of a milk engorged boob isn’t going to hurt anyone. Isn’t this allowed anyway?
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's ridiculous that this topic is still controversial. The only people who have issues with women breastfeeding in public are those who sexualise women's bodies and that's their problem. Everyone should be able to eat in public, including babies.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Karisa96)
I think women should be able to breastfeed in public.
We have no control when baby gets hungry.
Providing its done in a dignified way yes why not!!!!!
I agree. To me, breastfeeding a baby in pubic is no different to a parent giving their toddler a snack in public. If your child needs feeding, you feed them.
(Original post by StriderHort)
This is still a controversial thing? :confused:
Sadly, yes. I don't know about you, but I often see reports about mums who have been asked to leave cafes or other public places because they were breastfeeding, even if they were fully covered up. For some reason, some people find it offensive for a woman to feed her child in a public place. This isn't okay, obviously.
(Original post by claireestelle)
I have made the decision not to do it myself but yes of course people should be able to feed their baby in the way they want to and not feel ashamed of it.
I agree. Fed is best.
(Original post by Zarek)
Yes, why not!! And leaving this argument aside breasts are exploited in so many way it would be ridiculous hypocrisy to say otherwise. I wouldn’t even make the proviso that it has to be dignified, or course try to make some comfortable provisions for it, but it’s not as if it’s a flaunting or sexual thing and a glimpse of a milk engorged boob isn’t going to hurt anyone. Isn’t this allowed anyway?
Women are allowed to breastfeed in public, but even so some women are still asked to leave or hide away in grotty toilets to feed their child because one or two people are offended by it.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Of course they should as long as they do it discreetly which is basic good manners
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yes. I have a certain level of disappointment that it is even an issue, and when the Scottish Parliament passed a law so that breastfeeding was something that could not be an offence in public felt sad they felt a law was needed. Breasts are for this purpose, not just to be admired or gawped at by others (mainly men), however beautiful they may be to the person seeing them.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yes, of course it should. A woman feeding her baby is not hurting anyone, and Id much rather have that than have to listen to a hungry one crying.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Yes, of course it should. A woman feeding her baby is not hurting anyone, and Id much rather have that than have to listen to a hungry one crying.
Exactly, that piercing scream of a hungry baby goes right through you :hand:
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
As Boris said, Eat Out to Help Out and no one is too young
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Sadly, yes. I don't know about you, but I often see reports about mums who have been asked to leave cafes or other public places because they were breastfeeding, even if they were fully covered up. For some reason, some people find it offensive for a woman to feed her child in a public place. This isn't okay, obviously.
It's the sort of thing I heard a lot more about 10-20 years ago, I really hoped we'd kind of moved by that and the sort of people who would object are now socially akin to drunk drivers. I know you've said we have to be respectful and polite to different opinions,...but, well, I'd happily shout someone down over that.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's the sort of thing I heard a lot more about 10-20 years ago, I really hoped we'd kind of moved by that and the sort of people who would object are now socially akin to drunk drivers. I know you've said we have to be respectful and polite to different opinions,...but, well, I'd happily shout someone down over that.
The Scottish law was passed in 2005- The Breastfeeding etc (Scotland) Act 2005, suggests it was more common indeed.
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yes they should. But I don’t think it gives people the right to say demand use of a shops seating or cafe and do it there if not a paying customer.
If ordering a coffee in a cafe then fine.
(Also there are quite a few militant Brest feeders who do want to display their boobs to make a point which should be avoided in public, rather than an accidental flash which can’t be helped)
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yes. Babies need to be fed. It’s literally one of the most natural things.
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Imo it's minor. If a child is hungry and needs that breast milk, let the child cry for a bit (to create a reason) and then give it to him while making sure to cover yourself so prying onlookers can lessen their judgement.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
Imo it's minor. If a child is hungry and needs that breast milk, let the child cry for a bit (to create a reason) and then give it to him while making sure to cover yourself so prying onlookers can lessen their judgement.
So...put the incels feelings before everyone else's basically?
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yes they definitely should. Although I'm not sure how 'comfortable' I would feel breastfeeding in public... I think it's an ingrained feeling of embarrassment that society has sadly caused. Hopefully with awareness of the topic, the taboo and embarrassment should reduce :yep:
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
So...put the incels feelings before everyone else's basically?
Yeah, you can’t have loads of people getting horny over ***checks notes*** babies being fed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads