The Student Room Group

struggling to loose weight

I'm an 18 year old girl and I'm 100 pounds overweight.

My whole life I have been trying to loose weight, it's something I constantly think about. It controls my whole life.

I've been on so many weight loss journeys I'm not sure if there is anything left that I havent tried.

The past 2 months I have been trying harder than I ever have before; intermittent fasting, clean eating, only drinking water, a calorie deficit (using my fitness pal to track my food - I weigh everything) and daily exercise.

I'm going into month 3 now and I have lost nothing, I'm at the same weight I was before. All i want to do right now is give up, like all the other times because just like this time I never loose weight.

I've tried all the diets, all the different exercises, all the hidden tricks, I've done it all and still I never loose anything not every 1 pound. If anything I end up gaining weight.

Ive been to my doctor and they say nothing, they say my blood pressure is a little high but dont talk to me about how to change it.

And maybe it might be impossible for me to loose weight but I hate my body, I'm in pain all the time because of the strain my weight puts on my body and I just want to feel comfortable inside my own skin.

I'm really not in a good place right now and am really just looking for some advice.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
How much of a deficit are you actually in? Also, scales aren't a good indication as to whether or not you've lost weight. For example, let's say that you're 90kg. If you've gained muscle and are leaner, you could still be 90kg. Or, you could be heavier. Use the mirror to track progress. I'm not saying scales are 'bad' per se, but they're not entirely accurate (sometimes).
Reply 2
Hi, I'm really sorry you feel this way about yourself, you've tried so hard. I can relate to your struggles with body dysphoria and troubles with weight loss.
sometimes it often takes a lot of time to see the results, and i end up giving up on a lot of diets.

So i began exercising and building a little more muscle instead of counting calories. not lifting weights and body building, i just stuck to running and jogging sometimes yoga and pilates. walking to places when possible instead of using public transport. sweatcoin (an app that tracks steps and gives rewards) was helpful and encouraged me. maybe dance tutorials can help, like on youtube and stuff
I felt like diets weren't working out for me. i don't know if this is helpful advice, i'm sorry if it isn't. i didn't control my diet so rigidly and just made sure to eat filling meals with lots of fibre from grains , and protein instead of refined carbs like a lot of starchy foods. I ended up feeling a lot healthier, I wouldn't recommend overexercising though, that can eat away at your muscles instead of fat which is unhelpful.
i make sure to consume a lot of fluids and stay away from juice and smoothies.
I also took supplements that help the gut microbiome, the one i take contain live bacteria strands that a healthy person normally has, but i'm not a healthy person so i needed to take them, a lot of research has gone into it so i thought i'd try it.
Only drinking water has a really bad effect on your health so please don't do that to yourself, starving yourself means the body retains more fat because it goes into survival mode, i feel like you're quite impatient to lose the weight i was too, don't worry i'm not criticising you, i am similar. but quick fixes don't last long term, focus on the journey not the end goal which is the weight you lost on the scale. take it one day at a time, you'll be okay.
I'm really sorry you're experiencing trouble, I hope you do what is best for you. please love and be kind to yourself and feel free to message me!!
i forgot to mention: try not to skip meals, it might lead to a binge and unhealthy snacking
best wishes <3
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by gtty123
How much of a deficit are you actually in? Also, scales aren't a good indication as to whether or not you've lost weight. For example, let's say that you're 90kg. If you've gained muscle and are leaner, you could still be 90kg. Or, you could be heavier. Use the mirror to track progress. I'm not saying scales are 'bad' per se, but they're not entirely accurate (sometimes).

Thank you for your reply!

I eat around 1,500 calories per day and burn around 1,000 through exercise and my BMR is 2,300 which is the calories my body naturally burns itself per day, so quite a big deficit.

Just as there is no change on the scales, I see little change in my appearance, my clothes don't fit any differently and I measure my waist and no changed there either.

I just don't know what else to do.
Original post by megan_e
Hi, I'm really sorry you feel this way about yourself, you've tried so hard. I can relate to your struggles with body dysphoria and troubles with weight loss.
sometimes it often takes a lot of time to see the results, and i end up giving up on a lot of diets.

So i began exercising and building a little more muscle instead of counting calories. not lifting weights and body building, i just stuck to running and jogging sometimes yoga and pilates. walking to places when possible instead of using public transport. sweatcoin (an app that tracks steps and gives rewards) was helpful and encouraged me.
I felt like diets weren't working out for me. i don't know if this is helpful advice, i'm sorry if it isn't. i didn't control my diet so rigidly and just made sure to eat filling meals with lots of fibre from grains , and protein instead of refined carbs like a lot of starchy foods. I ended up feeling a lot healthier, I wouldn't recommend overexercising though, that can eat away at your muscles instead of fat which is unhelpful.
i make sure to consume a lot of fluids and stay away from juice and smoothies.
I also took supplements that help the gut microbiome, the one i take contain live bacteria strands that a healthy person normally has, but i'm not a healthy person so i needed to take them, a lot of research has gone into it so i thought i'd try it.
Only drinking water has a really bad effect on your health so please don't do that to yourself, starving yourself means the body retains more fat because it goes into survival mode, i feel like you're quite impatient to lose the weight i was too, don't worry i'm not criticising you, i am similar. but quick fixes don't last long term, focus on the journey not the end goal which is the weight you lost on the scale. take it one day at a time, you'll be okay.
I'm really sorry you're experiencing trouble, I hope you do what is best for you. please love and be kind to yourself and feel free to message me!!

Thank you for your reply, it really does help. I'm just really finding it hard right now. I've been trying to lose weight for what seems like forever and with no results its just annoying. especially when everyone else around me seems to be able to eat whatever they want and literally gain nothing and then here is me trying so hard and still gaining.
Reply 5
Original post by tvshowaddict2112
Thank you for your reply!

I eat around 1,500 calories per day and burn around 1,000 through exercise and my BMR is 2,300 which is the calories my body naturally burns itself per day, so quite a big deficit.

Just as there is no change on the scales, I see little change in my appearance, my clothes don't fit any differently and I measure my waist and no changed there either.

I just don't know what else to do.

No worries. I'm happy to help 🙂.
I'm going to be honest here, weight loss is going to take time. Try having a deficit of 500 calories. Work out your TDEE (I'll provide a calculator below) and eat 500 calories less than that figure. This way, you're ensuring that you have a slow and healthy weight loss. However, keep in mind no calculators are exact. So, this means that you will have to 'trial and error' until you find the amount of calories needed to be in a deficit.

Link: https://tdeecalculator.net
Original post by gtty123
No worries. I'm happy to help 🙂.
I'm going to be honest here, weight loss is going to take time. Try having a deficit of 500 calories. Work out your TDEE (I'll provide a calculator below) and eat 500 calories less than that figure. This way, you're ensuring that you have a slow and healthy weight loss. However, keep in mind no calculators are exact. So, this means that you will have to 'trial and error' until you find the amount of calories needed to be in a deficit.

Link: https://tdeecalculator.net

thanks so much, I will. hopefully this will help.
Reply 7
thanks so much, I will. hopefully this will help.

Good luck 🙂. If you need any help, feel free to ask me. I'm happy to help.
Reply 8
Thank you for your reply, it really does help. I'm just really finding it hard right now. I've been trying to lose weight for what seems like forever and with no results its just annoying. especially when everyone else around me seems to be able to eat whatever they want and literally gain nothing and then here is me trying so hard and still gaining.

omg i relate! everyones so skinny it makes me a little bitter, but i hope you don't let this define you, you are a lovely person!!! :h:
thanks for opening up about this! :smile:
i hope you will be kinder to yourself
Original post by megan_e
omg i relate! everyones so skinny it makes me a little bitter, but i hope you don't let this define you, you are a lovely person!!! :h:
thanks for opening up about this! :smile:
i hope you will be kinder to yourself

thank you. i know in my head that its going to take time to loose the weight, after all I didnt gain it all over night. I just though I would have at least lost something by now.

talking to people really does help and I'm going to continue on my journey and hopefully I'll find a place where I feel happy and healthy with my body.
I'm an 18 year old girl and I'm 100 pounds overweight.

My whole life I have been trying to loose weight, it's something I constantly think about. It controls my whole life.

I've been on so many weight loss journeys I'm not sure if there is anything left that I havent tried.

The past 2 months I have been trying harder than I ever have before; intermittent fasting, clean eating, only drinking water, a calorie deficit (using my fitness pal to track my food - I weigh everything) and daily exercise.

I'm going into month 3 now and I have lost nothing, I'm at the same weight I was before. All i want to do right now is give up, like all the other times because just like this time I never loose weight.

I've tried all the diets, all the different exercises, all the hidden tricks, I've done it all and still I never loose anything not every 1 pound. If anything I end up gaining weight.

Ive been to my doctor and they say nothing, they say my blood pressure is a little high but dont talk to me about how to change it.

And maybe it might be impossible for me to loose weight but I hate my body, I'm in pain all the time because of the strain my weight puts on my body and I just want to feel comfortable inside my own skin.

I'm really not in a good place right now and am really just looking for some advice.

my best advice is do not look at the number on the scale. if you've been exercising daily and eating the right stuff, you may have put on more muscle in the process
do not lose hope
keep doing what you're doing and rather than using bathroom scales to track your progress, measure your body fat levels. I found this really helpful earlier in the year when I was losing weight. I ignored the scales and used digital calipers to see how much fat I was losing. I went down from 24% to 20% in 3 months. at the start, I lost 7kg but then as i was building my strength, I gained back a kilo and was confused and worried, but my trainer said that my muscles had become bigger so that's why I'd put on weight.

it sounds like you're doing everything right
keep going!
Original post by GillisRobbieWGS
my best advice is do not look at the number on the scale. if you've been exercising daily and eating the right stuff, you may have put on more muscle in the process
do not lose hope
keep doing what you're doing and rather than using bathroom scales to track your progress, measure your body fat levels. I found this really helpful earlier in the year when I was losing weight. I ignored the scales and used digital calipers to see how much fat I was losing. I went down from 24% to 20% in 3 months. at the start, I lost 7kg but then as i was building my strength, I gained back a kilo and was confused and worried, but my trainer said that my muscles had become bigger so that's why I'd put on weight.

it sounds like you're doing everything right
keep going!

thank you so much, i will.

Quick Reply

Latest