I don’t know which school to go to for sixth form.

Watch
Superduper01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
There are 3 schools to choose from: School A (my current school) School B and School C. All of them have the subjects I want.
At School A I know teachers, used to the place and already know more people there. It also has its own 6th form block. The main problems are that it’s not that good of a school so sometimes the good teachers end up moving. And last Y13s didn’t do very well meaning they made changes and reduced independent frees and made a bunch for extra rules (but i think they’re making it more normal now). The school not being the best wasn’t really a problem for GCSE as I’m predicted 8s/9s in the subjects I want to take for A Level but could be more of an issue next year. Another problem is that I think it might be easier to make friends at a new school, I’ve had classmates and a few friends but never a proper friend group which I feel I need for 6th form. Part of me thinks if I stay there people will expect me to have friends and be less welcoming for me to join their groups than letting new externals.
School B is a very good grammar school. I liked the atmosphere of the place at the open evening in November; they don’t have a whole 6th form block but do have a quite big 6th form area. The school being more academic i don’t think will give me extra pressure and might be more helpful when applying for uni. Main problems are its a bit further than the other two so I would have to go by bus everyday and i don’t know if I’ll get fed up with the longer journey. I also will only recognise a few people which could be a good or bad thing.
School C is also a very good school maybe a little less than B but not by much. It’s pretty much the same distance if not slightly closer than A and if i went by bus the times would actually work and not be that long (were i live to get to school A has bad bus times so I’ve always gone by car). There isn’t a 6th form block yet but there will be one for when im in year 13. I had an online induction day where i got more info on my subjects and got to meet my tutor, I felt that day was very good. The only disadvantage is wont really know anyone (might know a few more than B) but that could be good and same with B I don’t know as much about the school from the “inside” so there might not so good things that I’ll only know once I’m there.
So basically is it worth going somewhere new (and maybe better) and have a chance to make new friends + meet new people or will the trying to settle in process take up time and staying where I am be easier given that by a couple weeks in it will be too late to move schools as there would be too much to catch up on?
Joseph Green
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's up to you, do you want to experience a new place with new people and make new friends. Or would you rather stay where you know best and continue your school life at school A
Superduper01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Joseph Green)
It's up to you, do you want to experience a new place with new people and make new friends. Or would you rather stay where you know best and continue your school life at school A
thanks for the reply I know the final choice is mine just wanted to see if people had any extra advice that i hadn't thought of.
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I went to a small school and we only had 8 people join for 6th Form. I also know a girl who moved schools for Sixth Form, hated it, then came back to ours after one half term (luckily we were doing the same syllabi, and she was doing Art and maybe Drama so it didn't matter as much).

At the end of the day, you can see your current friends outside of school time. It will definitely be harder to make friends this year, given the current circumstances, but it's likely that you won't be the only new one joining, anyway. A grammar school education is excellent, and if you get good vibes from it, then that's a huge positive. If you want to make that investment into your future, then go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.56%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.07%
Look for a job (19)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.06%
Take a year out (96)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.09%

Watched Threads