Anonware
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey I’m currently going to go on to an online a level course to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Cyber EPQ! I previously studied Economics & Business at sixth form A level. I’m looking to apply to Cambridge. Will it affect my Cambridge application if I got a C, C in sixth form but 5 A* on the online A levels course a year later?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The C won't look very promising in anticipation of future grades. However, if you have exceptional circumstances that would explain the low grade then this could go in your UCAS reference.

Just to check, you're planning on taking 5 A Levels in 1 year? I really don't think that's advisable and nor do Cambridge.

Cambridge have consistently said they'd prefer applicants to have better grades in 3 A Levels than take a fourth a drop a grade or two in another one.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Before you enrol onto these courses, have you considered:

• How did you achieve 2 Cs before - by pricvate study? Is achieving top grades in 4 A levels and an EPQ at all possible in a single year?
  • Has the provider you are signing up to made it absolutely clear how you are going to complete the practical skills for Physics and Chemistry and how you are going to find an exam centre that will accept you?
  • Has the provider made it absolutely clear how you can submit an EPQ as they are not normally open to private candidates - are they an exam centre?
TCL
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You know an EPQ is not equivalent to an A level? Are you expecting the CC grades this year? Cambridge have said anybody who does not get the teacher assessed grades they need for their offer but achieves them in the autumn exams will have their place held open, so if you say in your application that you are re-sitting they might disregard the CC (you would then actually need to sit them).

For home applicants, Cambridge interview anybody they think could realistically achieve the grades, but if you are doing the A levels on line would you be applying through your school/college UCAS account? Where would your predictions and reference come from? Looks like you will be applying for a science so they will want A*A*A.

Another thing is that if you are doing the A levels in a year, you might find it difficult to answer questions in the interview as you will not have covered much of the course.

If you are trying to self-study 4 A levels and an EPQ in a year, you would probably be better advised to apply for 2022 entry as a Cambridge application can be a big distraction from your studies.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TCL)
You know an EPQ is not equivalent to an A level? Are you expecting the CC grades this year? Cambridge have said anybody who does not get the teacher assessed grades they need for their offer but achieves them in the autumn exams will have their place held open, so if you say in your application that you are re-sitting they might disregard the CC (you would then actually need to sit them).
Just to pick up on this. The Autumn series is not a resit opportunity because students never sat the exams in the first place. Cambridge might be keeping existing offers open to 2020 applicants but that is unlikely to affect a 2021 application. Unless OP has been Revising through the summer I'd say the safer option for that qualification would be a full resit in summer 2021 - if they want to change the grade at all.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonware)
Hey I’m currently going to go on to an online a level course to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Cyber EPQ! I previously studied Economics & Business at sixth form A level. I’m looking to apply to Cambridge. Will it affect my Cambridge application if I got a C, C in sixth form but 5 A* on the online A levels course a year later?
This is a recipe for disaster.

Online courses are much tougher than their regular, taught equivalent. There is less communication, less focus on what you need there to be focus on, less ongoing assessment, less contact...less everything. That's not to say that people don't succeed at A level distance learning, because they regularly do, but it requires great dedication, motivation and often extra tutorial support. To suggest doing 4 tough A levels and an EPQ at distance is not remotely a good idea. It's particularly not a good idea when you've already tried studying for A levels and got mediocre results in them: I understand that your circumstances/attitude to learning might have been quite different then, but the fact still remains. You need to honestly ask yourself is it realistically possible to go from grades C?C in relatively benign, taught circumstances to A*A*A*A*A* in the much tougher, distance-learning environment?

You haven't said what you want to apply for here, but I presume it's physical NatSci. I'd drop the EPQ for a starter, decide on an initial path through NatSci and then decided between Maths, FM and Physics, or Maths, Physics and Chemistry to get it down to three. I'd also contact a few college AT to discuss any ramifications of not taking FM (for the second option).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.56%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.07%
Look for a job (19)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.06%
Take a year out (96)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.09%

Watched Threads