Travelling abroad with your pet

Watch
StardustFalls
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
So I was just wondering what people do when they want to travel from the UK to another country with their pet.

I would personally love to take my dogs abroad but not sure how easy it is.

For any of you who do take your pets on holiday is it easy? Would you rather leave them with a trusted friend or dog sitter? How do you travel with them?

I know there is going to be the whole problem of brexit and now covid but what do you do?

Thanks!
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Just leave the pets at home.
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Depends where you want to go. Probably way cheaper to leave them with a dog sitter though, and bear in mind you'll need pet passports and some places might even require a quarantine period.
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Too expensive and risky, would rather leave them at home with member of family/dog sitter. Ideally you do not want to be in a foreign country when your pet gets sick.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Where were you thinking of going that you would want to take your pets? Not only would you need dog-friendly accommodation, what about if you go sightseeing or shopping or eating out? Not everywhere is going to accept dogs.

Best off leaving them with a sitter or in kennels where they can get regular food, exercise and toilet breaks.
Last edited by Surnia; 6 days ago
fattyguen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
its kinda expensive, you have to buy a passport and a ticket and u might have to vaccinate them incase of disease from another country, and you'll also have to check if the country you wanna go to allows you to bring pets over the border

leaving it with a sitter will probably be best 😇
StardustFalls
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
Depends where you want to go. Probably way cheaper to leave them with a dog sitter though, and bear in mind you'll need pet passports and some places might even require a quarantine period.
Yes but I was thinking long term travelling. I would leave them with a sitter if it was only for a few weeks or so
StardustFalls
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
Where were you thinking of going that you would want to take your pets? You'd have to be finding dog-friendly accommodation,
Just everywhere I suppose. Probably Europe
(Original post by fattyguen)
its kinda expensive, you have to buy a passport and a ticket and u might have to vaccinate them incase of disease from another country, and you'll also have to check if the country you wanna go to allows you to bring pets over the border

leaving it with a sitter will probably be best 😇
Yep probably but what about long term travelling?
fattyguen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by StardustFalls)
Just everywhere I suppose. Probably Europe

Yep probably but what about long term travelling?
i guess if you are travelling for a month then maybe you cld take your pet with you shorter than that then i wldnt bother 😇
MusicalMe101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It’s quite expensive and considering that it may cause your pet stress (new surroundings, not the usual scents, etc.) maybe it’s best to leave it at home with a sitter. I travelled with my cat abroad (to Europe) at one point and we had to get her a passport and vaccinated. Luckily my cat was able to be in the airplane cabin (as she wasn’t over the weight limit for pets in the cabin) and she could stay with me, but she was very stressed overall.

I think it really depends on your pet and what you think is best for it, be it taking it with you or leaving it with a pet sitter.
Last edited by MusicalMe101; 5 days ago
Nevi
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Many places require quarantine. That and it can be quite traumatic and confusing for the pet

Best to leave them behind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.22%
Take autumn exams (145)
30.79%
Look for a job (16)
3.4%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.46%
Take a year out (81)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.94%

Watched Threads