Mum stopping me from moving out

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I decided I am sick of the noise at home of my siblings and everything. There’s always arguments with my mum and siblings. I try to stay in my room and mind my own business pretty much all the time but I hear it all the time. I decided I want move out but my mum has found out and she told us “you better not be be buying the flat by the way” and she said I’m too vulnerable I can’t tame care of myself. I’m offended about that, I’m not even vulnerable, I have knowledge of what finances you need for a house and I’m old enough to move out. My friends are going uni and some have are already their, they moved out and I’m just as capable as them to move out, if not more because I’m going to have my driving licence soon when I pass so I can get shopping conveniently.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I decided I am sick of the noise at home of my siblings and everything. There’s always arguments with my mum and siblings. I try to stay in my room and mind my own business pretty much all the time but I hear it all the time. I decided I want move out but my mum has found out and she told us “you better not be be buying the flat by the way” and she said I’m too vulnerable I can’t tame care of myself. I’m offended about that, I’m not even vulnerable, I have knowledge of what finances you need for a house and I’m old enough to move out. My friends are going uni and some have are already their, they moved out and I’m just as capable as them to move out, if not more because I’m going to have my driving licence soon when I pass so I can get shopping conveniently.
How old are you? If you are 18+ then put your foot down. Leave if you want to but plan carefully and not while you are angry! You need to have a clear head. And yes its your life not someone else's. I left home permanently as a teenager and never regretted it!
I was fed up with the toxic environment like the one you have.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
As mgi says, the first and most important question is 'are you over 18?'
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
As mgi says, the first and most important question is 'are you over 18?'
Yes I’m 19
ZR246
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you're over 18 your mum can't force you to do anything. And if you can't take care of yourself at that age that's her failure as a parent.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mgi)
How old are you? If you are 18+ then put your foot down. Leave if you want to but plan carefully and not while you are angry! You need to have a clear head. And yes its your life not someone else's. I left home permanently as a teenager and never regretted it!
I was fed up with the toxic environment like the one you have.
Just walking out could be an option but I’ll have to get my car so I can just drive off
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yes I’m 19
I fail to see how your mum is 'stopping' you in that case unless lasting power of attorney is in play. You can make your own choices, if them saying that completely stops you moving out then perhaps you aren't ready to move out? It's a big decision. I would start researching what benefits you might be able to claim, council tax reductions/discounts, new offers for any utilities you'll need. Secure employment before moving etc. Parents don't always support their children leaving the nest, particularly if they think you're immature/couldn't handle it. If a comment like that puts you off - perhaps you couldn't handle it?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
She can't and hasn't even tried to stop you.
vix.xvi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
you can juts walk out if you want
she cant stop you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Vexper)
I fail to see how your mum is 'stopping' you in that case unless lasting power of attorney is in play. You can make your own choices, if them saying that completely stops you moving out then perhaps you aren't ready to move out? It's a big decision. I would start researching what benefits you might be able to claim, council tax reductions/discounts, new offers for any utilities you'll need. Secure employment before moving etc. Parents don't always support their children leaving the nest, particularly if they think you're immature/couldn't handle it. If a comment like that puts you off - perhaps you couldn't handle it?
I’m a shareholder and I’m getting another job soon
charl.elise
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm still stuck on the fact you can independently buy a flat at 19... fair enough, nothing actually stopping you from leaving then
Anonymous #1
(Original post by vix.xvi)
you can juts walk out if you want
she cant stop you
Just could do with a then drive off
Anonymous #1
Just could do with a then drive off
Car
ZR246
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Car
Get a taxi.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by charl.elise)
I'm still stuck on the fact you can independently buy a flat at 19... fair enough, nothing actually stopping you from leaving then
I’m renting it and a few mates might be moving with me
vix.xvi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’m renting it and a few mates might be moving with me
thats good
do you have a job though?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ZR246)
Get a taxi.
I have social anxiety
Anonymous #1
(Original post by vix.xvi)
thats good
do you have a job though?
I’m getting one before I move in and I do share holding atm
Kerzen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’m getting one before I move in and I do share holding atm
Do you live in an area where there are lots of jobs available and which you are qualified to do?

What is share holding, by the way?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
Do you live in an area where there are lots of jobs available and which you are qualified to do?

What is share holding, by the way?
Unsure

You invest money into companies and then you own a very small share of that company then you can resell that share for profit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (144)
37.21%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.27%
Look for a job (13)
3.36%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.39%
Take a year out (67)
17.31%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.46%

Watched Threads