The Student Room Group

What was religion like under Henry VII?

I’m really struggling to find any websites or sources, as they just assume that I’m searching for the ever-famous Henry VIII. Thanks in advance!
During which part of his reign? :confused:

The earlier years when he was happily married to Catherine of Aragon, closely aligned with traditional roman catholicism and proclaimed "defender of the faith" by Pope Leo X for issuing staunch rebuttal arguments to Martin Luther's ideas in relation to the sacraments & papal infallibility.
Or later years after his representatives struggled to obtain an annulment through disputing the validity of his marriage to Catherine so that he could marry Anne Boleyn in the late 1520s, leading to the break with Rome & papal authority and concentrating both religious authority and political power in his own hands as royal "Supreme Head of the Church of England" from the early 1530s.
Original post by londonmyst
During which part of his reign? :confused:

The earlier years when he was happily married to Catherine of Aragon, closely aligned with traditional roman catholicism and proclaimed "defender of the faith" by Pope Leo X for issuing staunch rebuttal arguments to Martin Luther's ideas in relation to the sacraments & papal infallibility.
Or later years after his representatives struggled to obtain an annulment through disputing the validity of his marriage to Catherine so that he could marry Anne Boleyn in the late 1520s, leading to the break with Rome & papal authority and concentrating both religious authority and political power in his own hands as royal "Supreme Head of the Church of England" from the early 1530s.

Thank you! Oopsie sorry, I meant Henry VII, so from 1500-09.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending