VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
hey, is it possible to study fashion design with photography (or specifically with fashion photography) or is it in any way possible to combine these 2? I know e.g. at UAL there is a course for fashion design and for fashion photography, so would this be possible to study both?

sorry if that's a silly question haha
GatoMessi
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by VanillaCream)
hey, is it possible to study fashion design with photography (or specifically with fashion photography) or is it in any way possible to combine these 2? I know e.g. at UAL there is a course for fashion design and for fashion photography, so would this be possible to study both?

Yes you can. However, some fashion design courses have a fashion photography module.

However Solent University does have Fashion Photography with Design but in a Foundation Year. In this way, you will decide which route you want to take "Fashion Design with Photography" or "Fashion Photography with Design"

To be fair it won't be easy to become professional in both field at the same time unless you run very small business of your own to start off with. Then this course will be an ideal for you. However if you cannot find the course you want, you can always opt for Fashion Design with Photography and then do short fashion photography stand alone course - for example 12 weeks, when you graduate from the Fashion Design.

But I must tell you that I used to run my own online fashion business, I barely had the time to do the photography work even on mannequins!!

It is always best to know what you really want to do after your graduation.

I wish you the best of luck to decide what you want and which course you will go for. There is no wrong answer
VanillaCream
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by GatoMessi)
Yes you can. However, some fashion design courses have a fashion photography module.

However Solent University does have Fashion Photography with Design but in a Foundation Year. In this way, you will decide which route you want to take "Fashion Design with Photography" or "Fashion Photography with Design"

To be fair it won't be easy to become professional in both field at the same time unless you run very small business of your own to start off with. Then this course will be an ideal for you. However if you cannot find the course you want, you can always opt for Fashion Design with Photography and then do short fashion photography stand alone course - for example 12 weeks, when you graduate from the Fashion Design.

But I must tell you that I used to run my own online fashion business, I barely had the time to do the photography work even on mannequins!!

It is always best to know what you really want to do after your graduation.

I wish you the best of luck to decide what you want and which course you will go for. There is no wrong answer
thank you so much!!

I am interested in both of these fields, but I will definitely try to choose one.

if you don't mind me asking, you said you used to run your online fashion business, what are you doing now? I mean, are you working in the field still, but not running your own business?
GatoMessi
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
thank you so much!!

I am interested in both of these fields, but I will definitely try to choose one.

if you don't mind me asking, you said you used to run your online fashion business, what are you doing now? I mean, are you working in the field still, but not running your own business?
Yes for 14 years, but my business declined in the last 2 years so I decided to change my career........ am not working at the moment. I want to focus on equine world
VanillaCream
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by GatoMessi)
Yes for 14 years, but my business declined in the last 2 years so I decided to change my career........ am not working at the moment. I want to focus on equine world
oh okay, thank you!
Laurafinlinson18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

I’m looking at UAL to do fashion photography too! Dm me
Last edited by Laurafinlinson18; 5 days ago
University of the Arts London
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi VanillaCream and Laurafinlinson18,

I thought I'd just jump in here to give you a bit more info about UAL and London College of Fashion (which is our largest college). As it says above, you can study Fashion Photography at LCF, although this is very different to Fashion Design. At LCF, we have three schools - Design, Media and Business, with all the design areas under the Design school and photography in the media school. While it is true that we don't have a course that mixes these things together, a lot of projects are very collaborative, and you mind find yourself working with design/photography/styling students as you might in the industry. LCF's media courses are mainly based at Lime Grove (West London), and the Design courses are based on other sites, however from 2023, LCF will come together on one campus in the Olympic Park, so there will be even more opportunity to collaborate and work in a cross-disciplinary way.

It's worth having a look at the LCF Open Days and also our Graduate Showcase to see the kind of work that is produced and find out more about which course might be best for you.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment
VanillaCream
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by University of the Arts London)
Hi VanillaCream and Laurafinlinson18,

I thought I'd just jump in here to give you a bit more info about UAL and London College of Fashion (which is our largest college). As it says above, you can study Fashion Photography at LCF, although this is very different to Fashion Design. At LCF, we have three schools - Design, Media and Business, with all the design areas under the Design school and photography in the media school. While it is true that we don't have a course that mixes these things together, a lot of projects are very collaborative, and you mind find yourself working with design/photography/styling students as you might in the industry. LCF's media courses are mainly based at Lime Grove (West London), and the Design courses are based on other sites, however from 2023, LCF will come together on one campus in the Olympic Park, so there will be even more opportunity to collaborate and work in a cross-disciplinary way.

It's worth having a look at the LCF Open Days and also our Graduate Showcase to see the kind of work that is produced and find out more about which course might be best for you.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment
hi!
thank you so much, I'll definitely have a look!
do you know by any chance if there are (or might be introduced) any scholarships/financial aid for EU students now after brexit?
University of the Arts London
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
hi!
thank you so much, I'll definitely have a look!
do you know by any chance if there are (or might be introduced) any scholarships/financial aid for EU students now after brexit?
Hi VanillaCream,

Sorry but I don't have any information about that. The best place to find out is here: https://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/fees-and-funding

Best wishes,
Sian
VanillaCream
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Laurafinlinson18)
I’m looking at UAL to do fashion photography too! Dm me
I sent you a message!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (166)
38.34%
Take autumn exams (132)
30.48%
Look for a job (16)
3.7%
Consider an apprenticeship (19)
4.39%
Take a year out (73)
16.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
6.24%

Watched Threads