The Student Room Group

Someone help me build a schedule? pleeease

Hi guys,
So you've no reason to help me tbh because it would take you some time but if anyone is kind enough i'd appreciate it hugely :smile:
I'm lacking motivation and energy and discipline so I feel if someone else made this for me I'd be more inclined to stick to it...

I need a (loose) schedule for the rest of the summer holidays (up to 02/09/20).
A study schedule that includes the following:

revision for ucat/bmat admission tests
revision/study time for making year 12 content revision notes
time for working on my personal statement
wider medicine reading (plan to do this in bed)
time for catch up work (1 months worth of classwork - i slacked in the last month of lockdown :frown:( )

Im an aspiring med student so i feel extremely demotivated by the fact im behaving like this - i do no work anymore - not even reading a book and i hate it so much.

Please, if anyone could help me with this timetable, i'd be eternally grateful!!!
Ps, i wake up at 7am anyway - sleep at 10:45

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by tetris179
Hi guys,
So you've no reason to help me tbh because it would take you some time but if anyone is kind enough i'd appreciate it hugely :smile:
I'm lacking motivation and energy and discipline so I feel if someone else made this for me I'd be more inclined to stick to it...

time for catch up work (1 months worth of classwork - i slacked in the last month of lockdown :frown:( )

Im an aspiring med student so i feel extremely demotivated by the fact im behaving like this - i do no work anymore - not even reading a book and i hate it so much.

Please, if anyone could help me with this timetable, i'd be eternally grateful!!!

You won't succeed in getting a place at medical school with this sort of attitude. The best thing to do is ask yourself honest questions like: Why am i so lazy? why do i expect other people to spend valuable time planning my future for me when i myself cannot be bothered ?
Reply 2
Original post by mgi
You won't succeed in getting a place at medical school with this sort of attitude. The best thing to do is ask yourself honest questions like: Why am i so lazy? why do i expect other people to spend valuable time planning my future for me when i myself cannot be bothered ?

yeah gonna disagree with you here. I'm asking for others' help to hold myself accountable in some sort of way. You think I haven't tried to make my own timetables? If anything this will give me inspiration on when to do certain things because others will work differently - maybe it'll open my eyes. When school was open I had a sense of routine. You can hardly blame me for letting lockdown have a negative effect on me - aspiring to be a med student shouldn't mean I'm perfect pal.
im literally in the same position as you right now. but i feel like the only reason im this is because im lacking structure to my life. but anyways i have my ucat exam at the end of august and i also have summer project work to be doing as well as catching up on work and my progress exams at the end of september not to mention the personal statement. but for the next two weeks my schedule is just getting up early everyday of the week (7am) and then spending six hours either doing my summer projects or my ucat (i spend Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday on UCAT the rest on my summer projects). im hoping after week of a schedule like this i would've finished my project and then i can switch it for either exam revision or sorting out my work and folders. its not the most structured schedule but it comforts me knowing ill be doing something that will contribute to my exams and school work and thats all i need right now
Reply 4
Original post by mylifeismessy
im literally in the same position as you right now. but i feel like the only reason im this is because im lacking structure to my life. but anyways i have my ucat exam at the end of august and i also have summer project work to be doing as well as catching up on work and my progress exams at the end of september not to mention the personal statement. but for the next two weeks my schedule is just getting up early everyday of the week (7am) and then spending six hours either doing my summer projects or my ucat (i spend Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday on UCAT the rest on my summer projects). im hoping after week of a schedule like this i would've finished my project and then i can switch it for either exam revision or sorting out my work and folders. its not the most structured schedule but it comforts me knowing ill be doing something that will contribute to my exams and school work and thats all i need right now

I agree so much - lack of structure is the main frustration. Thank you for your advice - I just can't push myself to keep working once i start. How do you cope with distractions etc?
Timetables are very personal so it is best for you do create one yourself. There are things you know which I don't so I have a lot of questions.
When is your UCAT?
How much prep have you already done (if any)?
When do you typically work best? I know I work best on mornings and evenings so I can do more difficult tasks at those times.
How much of your personal statement have you done (if any)?
What A level subjects do you do?
Is there an A level subject you need to do more work/revision for?
Have you got an idea of what you are going to read as part of your wider reading?

I'm currently studying medicine and did the UCAT in 2018 (didn't do BMAT) so I can give some general advice.
I did about 2 hours each day for UCAT for 5 weeks using medify, ISC 1250 question book and the official UCAT website.
My personal statement didn't take too long to write. I maybe took a few hours out of each week to add to it during the summer. Then when I went back to school, I did more writing and got lots of my teachers to check it. You could split this time up into smaller sections but I didn't do that.
Catch up work is going to be a priority for you. There's only a month left of summer and you have one months worth of work to do. I don't know how quickly you learn new content so I can't tell you how much time to dedicate to it.
For wider reading, Maybe half an hour before bed each day.
I agree so much - lack of structure is the main frustration. Thank you for your advice - I just can't push myself to keep working once i start. How do you cope with distractions etc

no problem!
i have a very short attention span but i broke my phone a year ago and havent bothered to replace it. i gave my ipad away to my brother yesterday cos that wouldve definitely distracted me. but majority of the time i actually like what im studying so i tend just to get on with it. but if you think about where you want to be by the end of all this, it can act as a goal and give you some motivation. for example, i aspire to be a surgeon but even though i doubt ill get there, i like to work as hard as possible in case all the work i do does get me there. its obviously different for everyone; sometimes you just need to picture how much you want done by the end of the study session and that works just as fine
Reply 7
Original post by Emily5243
Timetables are very personal so it is best for you do create one yourself. There are things you know which I don't so I have a lot of questions.
When is your UCAT?
How much prep have you already done (if any)?
When do you typically work best? I know I work best on mornings and evenings so I can do more difficult tasks at those times.
How much of your personal statement have you done (if any)?
What A level subjects do you do?
Is there an A level subject you need to do more work/revision for?
Have you got an idea of what you are going to read as part of your wider reading?

I'm currently studying medicine and did the UCAT in 2018 (didn't do BMAT) so I can give some general advice.
I did about 2 hours each day for UCAT for 5 weeks using medify, ISC 1250 question book and the official UCAT website.
My personal statement didn't take too long to write. I maybe took a few hours out of each week to add to it during the summer. Then when I went back to school, I did more writing and got lots of my teachers to check it. You could split this time up into smaller sections but I didn't do that.
Catch up work is going to be a priority for you. There's only a month left of summer and you have one months worth of work to do. I don't know how quickly you learn new content so I can't tell you how much time to dedicate to it.
For wider reading, Maybe half an hour before bed each day.

thanks so much for the advice!!!
Reply 8
no problem!
i have a very short attention span but i broke my phone a year ago and havent bothered to replace it. i gave my ipad away to my brother yesterday cos that wouldve definitely distracted me. but majority of the time i actually like what im studying so i tend just to get on with it. but if you think about where you want to be by the end of all this, it can act as a goal and give you some motivation. for example, i aspire to be a surgeon but even though i doubt ill get there, i like to work as hard as possible in case all the work i do does get me there. its obviously different for everyone; sometimes you just need to picture how much you want done by the end of the study session and that works just as fine

Yes, A great attitude ! No one can make motivation and give it to someone! It is not medicine!
Hi guys,

Surely if you want to study medicine you should be doing this yourself otherwise you’ll really struggle at uni
Reply 10
Original post by TsRtSr1001
Surely if you want to study medicine you should be doing this yourself otherwise you’ll really struggle at uni

Yes, Pure laziness! lots of excuses! ignore.
get the app adapt if you're struggling to make a timetable. you've plenty of time now as it's the summer holidays to make one yourself. creating a timetable won't take long.
Original post by TsRtSr1001

sometimes all anyone nee is a little push and motivation:smile:
Reply 13

Whose job is it to provide structure for YOUR life?
Original post by mgi
Whose job is it to provide structure for YOUR life?

I don't quite understand what your asking but I make my own schedules and keep on top of my work myself. it isn't anyone's job but if anyone wants to help improve it they're more than welcome :smile:
Reply 15
I don't quite understand what your asking but I make my own schedules and keep on top of my work myself. it isn't anyone's job but if anyone wants to help improve it they're more than welcome :smile:

Thanks, but no thanks. I have got my own to sort out.
I can't make a timetable for you ('cuz I know nothing about UCAT or medicine lol), but I can help to give you a couple of leading questions that may help you try and make one yourself - some of these really helped me.

1. Arrange your tasks in order of most important to least important - which tasks do you need to accomplish right now to proceed with your life? Which tasks, if you don't complete now, will seriously cripple your proceedings?

2. When do you need each task done? Set up a rough timeline. Which ones have to be accomplished sooner?

3. Which tasks require more brain-work? (i.e. you need to understand and process, and work on)

4. Which tasks can be done more mechanically?

5. When do you work best? Do you work better in the morning or in the evening? At night, maybe?

Sort of, like, create a priority list of what needs to get done, and then allot times accordingly.

The thing is, schedules are immensely personal things and it usually takes a lot of trial-and-error to find a particular way that works for you.

For me, I've found that making elaborate, colour-coded schedules are doom, because in the end I just end up worrying about how much I've not done.

So instead, every morning I wake up, assess my mood and what exactly I think I'll can do that day and what I feel up to doing, and create a list of things (can be any number - I usually stick to five, but you can add more according to your workload) I promise myself I'll get done. I keep my task list as specific as possible - makes me feel like I've not left any room for error!

Sometimes, just to motivate myself I'll add in inane tasks so that it'll give me that little pick-me-up when I feel like I'm getting nothing done. Some days I do slack off, (after all I just do everything according to what I want to), but I try to make up for it by working extra hard the next day.

Hope some of this long, unnecessary, rambling reply helps!
Reply 17
Original post by mgi
Yes, Pure laziness! lots of excuses! ignore.

i really admire how you take into account my mental health !!! thank you so much for that
Reply 18
Original post by mgi
Thanks, but no thanks. I have got my own to sort out.

what’s your problem lol. if you’re not going to help because you’ve got your own to sort out. don’t bother commenting. not everyone’s the same as you buddy. grow up
wait cause i'm actually in the same exact position as u rn :s-smilie: would u join a group chat on whatsaspp or insta or sth?? idk ive seen quite a few other ppl on tsr who are in the same position as well and i think a gc would be useful for encouragement and to hold each other accountable and just to share general advice for exams and revision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending