The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you think you are capable for AAB then ABB insurance would be fine.
Reply 2
It depends what you're applying for and what your AS grades are. Also, if the course is highly competitive, if not then universities may let you in if you have missed the grades!
Reply 3
fweefwee
Hi, I have four out of my five unis chosen (of course providing that I like their open day) however two have an ABB entry requirement and two have an AAB entry requirement. Should I have more of a range of entry requirements or choose one with a lower requirement for use as an insurance?
Thanks!

Depends what you're applying for...if it's a vastly oversubscribed subject like psychology or law then yea it would maybe be a good idea to pick somewhere with BBB....but to be honest I wouldn't bother because if you get in to uni X that you love with AAB and uni Y with ABB which you also like then it's not going to make any differnce whether you have an offer from uni Z with BBB cause you're gonna put AAB as your firm and ABB as insurance...

Most courses with BBB (apart from competative arts courses) are available in clearing anyways if you dont do as well as you would have liked.

If the subject is not oversubscribed like audiology or microbiology then likelihood is even if you miss your offer you'll still be allowed on to the course.

Apply to where you most want to go, especially if you think you're capable of high grades, don't let worrying ruin your opportunities...whats the worst that can happen? You end up having to take a Gap/Resit year whilst you re-apply?

That is worst case scenario...and tis not that bad.
I would definately put one down that represents the worst-case senario, maybe one BBB, you have 6 choices after all!
Reply 5
Im applying for English and my AS grades were AABB :smile: (B was in English but was only 10 marks off an A and so will resit 2 modules)
Well at AS I got AAAA, this became ABBB at A2 which was dissapointing, keep a couple of places in reserve incase you don't get your A's, because they can easily turn into B's at A2
random_bloke
I would definately put one down that represents the worst-case senario, maybe one BBB, you have 6 choices after all!

No..you have 5.
Reply 8
fweefwee
Im applying for English and my AS grades were AABB :smile: (B was in English but was only 10 marks off an A and so will resit 2 modules)

AAB is certainly not out of you grasp then!...though english can be oversubscribed.

Where you thinking of applying?
fightoffyourdemons
No..you have 5.

has that changed since 2006 entry? my memory must be poor! haha
Reply 10
Valkyrja
AAB is certainly not out of you grasp then!...though english can be oversubscribed.

Where you thinking of applying?

Lancaster and Leicester - ABB
Loughborough and Sheffield - AAB
:smile:
Reply 11
you should pick 1 AAA and 1 BBB... then pick 3 AAB-ABB.

your obviously going to prefer some unis to others, so if there are unis with the same requirements don't apply to the one your not going to go to anyway.
Reply 12
It depends what you actually want to go to. Do you want to go to a university offering lower than that if you don't get the grades? Sounds a bit snobby but it is something to think about.

I know my sister applied to a wide range of entry requirements - didn't get into her top few, but never even considered her bottom entry requirement option because she just didn't want to go there. No point in wasting a choice but you do have to be realistic about the grades you are going to get. By the sounds of it you should be fine with AAB and ABB choices. :smile:
It also depends on what you think you're realistically capable of achieving. If you think you can easily get AAB, then it shouldn't matter whether you have a range or not.
I chose universities asking for AAAB - ABB. I never seriously considered the lower ones however, and chose the AAAB one as firm, and AAB as insurance, so it was pointless applying to the others. They were just incase everything fell apart. I have no idea what English is like, do your universities interveiw? Is there a possibility some of them might not give you an offer? If so, put multiple AAB/ABB unis down as if one rejects you, you still have the other at the same difficulty. Might be worth filling your last space with a BBB offer just as back up.
Reply 15

it's changed this year to 5. But I think the upside is that unis dont know your other choices and also even if you get rejected, you get to have one last shot at another uni.
Reply 16
jabed786
it's changed this year to 5. But I think the upside is that unis dont know your other choices and also even if you get rejected, you get to have one last shot at another uni.

Well they haven't known your other choices for a few years now...

basically what happens is that if you don't get into any of your five choices before results day you are able to apply to other universities through a system called Extra, it's similar to the way you apply normally on ucas except you can only choose one uni at a time, they have two weeks then to assess your application and offer you a place/reject you.

Although extra isn't the same as clearing a lot of the top uni's don't offer their courses through extra...it's advisable as well to apply ASAP simply because some unis make offers on a first come first serve basis, and also because the sooner you know if you've been rejected for all five (or withdrawn or whatever) you can go into the Extra system.
Reply 17
you should go for one AAA
then maybe 3 AAB
and one ABB.
no need BBB..
i don't know whether your 2As were high though..high means above 270
Reply 18
jkyng1
you should go for one AAA
then maybe 3 AAB
and one ABB.
no need BBB..
i don't know whether your 2As were high though..high means above 270

They were 253 and 246 :confused:
Reply 19
Its frustrating as the four I have are the only Unis I really want to go to and are good for English (except the ones which are out of my reach, like warwick) which is why I can't seem to find a 5th Uni. Its almost like bad luck that the Unis I have chosen have either one of two entry requirements!?

Latest

Trending

Trending