The Student Room Group

epq advice?

hiya,
i'm a sixth form student to be going into year 13 in september, and i've just started research for my epq under the question "does music have the power to heal?", in which i'm going to be investigating the positive effects and limitations of music therapy to treat both mental and physical health issues, as well as in its use in local and global emergencies.
as i've previously only have access to e-books and websites, due to the fact that i'm only just coming out of shielding due to type 1 diabetes (fun!), i would like to be able to balance the secondary research that i've sourced with my own investigation. i'd imagine that i'd find it relatively easy to obtain a sample, but i have no idea what my actual investigation could entail. on the rare occasion that somebody may have done an epq or research project in the past on my subject or something related to it, i'd really appreciate it if anyone could assist me in thinking of any research methods in which i could obtain my findings to be used in my project.
thank you :smile:
Original post by harleynotquinn
hiya,
i'm a sixth form student to be going into year 13 in september, and i've just started research for my epq under the question "does music have the power to heal?", in which i'm going to be investigating the positive effects and limitations of music therapy to treat both mental and physical health issues, as well as in its use in local and global emergencies.
as i've previously only have access to e-books and websites, due to the fact that i'm only just coming out of shielding due to type 1 diabetes (fun!), i would like to be able to balance the secondary research that i've sourced with my own investigation. i'd imagine that i'd find it relatively easy to obtain a sample, but i have no idea what my actual investigation could entail. on the rare occasion that somebody may have done an epq or research project in the past on my subject or something related to it, i'd really appreciate it if anyone could assist me in thinking of any research methods in which i could obtain my findings to be used in my project.
thank you :smile:

You could maybe try a questionnaire? It's easy to get the data (if you post it on your social media, or email it to people you know)... you could ask questions about how people benefit from music emotionally and physically (qualitative questions) and maybe try and find a way to investigate how to measure the healing nature of music (eg. from a scale of 1-10, how happy would you say you are after listening to music). It's a LOT more difficult to find an appropriate measure for how healing music is in comparison to an actual in-person experiment, but it should do the trick.
Hope this helps :biggrin:
Asked them how music helped them during lockdown. :smile:

Your project sounds very credible by the way - my one suggestion would probably be to focus either on mental or physical health as you might find yourself with a little bit too much to do if considering both. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending