ashani.stevens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
i have no clue what to pick to study for my a-levels, i don't like any of my GCSE subjects and i have no subjects in mind which i want to take. I find doing subjects without course work really hard as i cant sit down and take information in. My school does have a sixth form but i don't think its the right school for me as it's very academic as it basically specializes in science and maths and that is not what i want to do! i have no clue what to do and where to look and i was wondering if anyone had some advice for me !!
okurr123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, I know when I was picking A levels it was so difficult as I changed my mind so many times! I think if you’re finding it hard to pick which subjects to do you should look at which subjects you’re best at as you’ll probs do better in those at A level. Or you could pick new subjects that weren’t offered at GCSE which you might find interesting like psychology, business etc. Also think about maybe what career path you want to do in the future and choose subjects which are based around that. And remember A levels are a two year course and if you think you’ll find it difficult you have 2 whole years to improve even if it seems hard at the beginning as I definitely found this the case! You can also change your mind about your subjects when you start the course so don’t worry if you’re not completely certain yet!
Last edited by okurr123; 2 months ago
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
what did you take for gcse?
maybe moving to a college and taking some BTECs and doing some more practical subjects might be more your thing?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
some a levels have a coursework component, but if you believe that's not the right fit for you then as the above poster suggested, you might be better off going to a college and doing some more practical courses in something you enjoy or are interested in.
ashani.stevens
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
some a levels have a coursework component, but if you believe that's not the right fit for you then as the above poster suggested, you might be better off going to a college and doing some more practical courses in something you enjoy or are interested in.
I think taking a-levels or btecs with course work would easier for me and the right choice but i have no clue which subjects ones im even intrested in i hate all my gcse subjects !!! over quarantine ive been taking loads of what should i do with my life, quizzes but none of them have been very helpful trying to see subjects which i might have any intrest in but nothing
Does anyone have any ideas on how to work out how to see what subjects i should take ?
Thanks x
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ashani.stevens)
i have no clue what to pick to study for my a-levels, i don't like any of my GCSE subjects and i have no subjects in mind which i want to take. I find doing subjects without course work really hard as i cant sit down and take information in. My school does have a sixth form but i don't think its the right school for me as it's very academic as it basically specializes in science and maths and that is not what i want to do! i have no clue what to do and where to look and i was wondering if anyone had some advice for me !!
srs question: how do u know you even want to do a levels if you dont know what subjects you want to do?
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Remember you don't have to do A-Levels. You could get an apprenticeship, go straight into work. My school pushed A-Levels and Uni so much I forgot I even had any other options, I'm wondering if your school is the same, seeing as you don't seem to like any of the subjects

I chose my subjects based on what I enjoyed and what I wanted to study at uni. Do you know if you want to go to uni, if so to study what? Or what you want to do as a career?
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hey!

I take a BTEC and love it! My subject is 100% coursework and I find that this works so much better for me than exams. Have you looked into BTECs? They may be a good choice for you
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think taking a-levels or btecs with course work would easier for me and the right choice but i have no clue which subjects ones im even intrested in i hate all my gcse subjects !!! over quarantine ive been taking loads of what should i do with my life, quizzes but none of them have been very helpful trying to see subjects which i might have any intrest in but nothing
Does anyone have any ideas on how to work out how to see what subjects i should take ?
Thanks x
some a levels do have a coursework component ie. geography, history, english lit but exams still form the majority of your final grade so worth thinking about it- perhaps you'll be okay with exams if there's a bit less weighting on them?
what subjects did you do at gcse? anything you enjoyed?
ashani.stevens
Rep:
?
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
hey!

I take a BTEC and love it! My subject is 100% coursework and I find that this works so much better for me than exams. Have you looked into BTECs? They may be a good choice for you
I'm looking at btecs now and it seems much more my thing
What subjects did you take ??
thank you btw x
ashani.stevens
Rep:
?
some a levels do have a coursework component ie. geography, history, english lit but exams still form the majority of your final grade so worth thinking about it- perhaps you'll be okay with exams if there's a bit less weighting on them?
what subjects did you do at gcse? anything you enjoyed?
i chose business,french, geography and music
i do like doing music but i find that im not very good at it tho soo yeh slight problem
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i do like doing music but i find that im not very good at it tho soo yeh slight problem
hm if you're finding you're not liking many of your gcse subjects perhaps btecs would be better :yep: you should research nearby colleges and see what courses they offer. have you any idea of what you wanna do in the future?
ashani.stevens
Rep:
?
hm if you're finding you're not liking many of your gcse subjects perhaps btecs would be better :yep: you should research nearby colleges and see what courses they offer. have you any idea of what you wanna do in the future?
nope i have no clue what i want to do in the future which doesnt help, i dont even know how to find out what i want to do !!!
but i think doing btecs is the best thing for me.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What sort of career area do you want to go in? That may help you decide.
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I did music BTEC and I LOVED it. At my college you had to be grade 5 to get in, but it might vary.
It's entirely coursework, LOADS of performance and songwriting etc, and, if you chose to go, lots of unis to take them. They're more popular music based, but I did it as a half classical half popular musician and it was great.
What do you play? Does a fairly local college offer a triple music BTEC?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.1%
I'm not sure (59)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (650)
49.28%

Watched Threads