V1594 – Holiday Meal Provision Bill 2020 (Second Reading)

Watch
Poll: Should this be bill be passed into law?
As many as are of the opinion, aye. (25)
51.02%
Of the contrary, no. (24)
48.98%
Abstain. (0)
0%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
B1594 – Holiday Meal Provision Bill 2020 (Second Reading), TSR Liberal Democrats

Holiday Meal Provision Bill 2020

An Act introducing an entitlement to free meals or equivalent for disadvantaged children during school holidays.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Entitlement to meal provision in school holidays
(1) Where a child is entitled to free school lunches under section 512ZB of the Education Act 1996, they are also entitled to meal provision in school holidays.
(2) Entitlement to meal provision in school holidays applies—
(2) (a) during every week of the school holidays, as determined by the child’s school.
(2) (b) during every part-week of the school holidays, as determined by the child’s school, to an extent proportional to the number of days that fall within the school holidays.
(2) (c) on INSET days, as designated by the child’s school.

2: Nature of meal provision in school holidays
(1) Responsibility for meal provision in school holidays rests with the local authority.
(2) The nature of this provision may be—
(2) (a) provision of a daily mid-day meal, similar to a school lunch, to the child.
(2) (b) daily or weekly distribution by the local authority of food vouchers equivalent to the value of a school lunch, to the persons with parental responsibility for the child.
(2) (c) daily or weekly distribution by the local authority of a cash sum equivalent to the value of a school lunch, to the persons with parental responsibility for the child.
(3) The option to provide a cash sum under section 2(2)(c) will cease to be available after 30th June 2021.
(4) The Secretary of State shall determine a monetary sum that is deemed to be equivalent to the value of a school lunch.
(5) The monetary sum in section 2(3) may be set universally across England or individually by local authority.

3: Food vouchers
Where a local authority chooses to provide food vouchers as per section 2(2)(b), the vouchers must—
(a) be redeemable in exchange for food and drink in at least 60 per cent of supermarkets in England.
(b) not be used to purchase items other than food or drink.
(c) not be used to purchase age-restricted items.

4: Definitions
(1) For the purposes of this Act, a ‘week’ runs from Monday to Friday, inclusive.
(2) ‘Local authority’ is defined as in the 1996 Act.
(3) ‘School lunch’ refers to a mid-day meal provided under the provisions of section 512 of the 1996 Act.
(4) ‘Supermarket’ refers to any retail premises with a retail floor area of not less than 280 square metres, of which at least 40 per cent is used for the sale of food and drink.

5: Extent, commencement and short title
(1) This Act extends to England.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Holiday Meal Provision Act 2020.

Notes
Throughout the history of school lunches, it has been recognised that they have a particular role in providing a healthy midday meal to the poorest children. For many of these children, their school lunch is the only proper hot meal that they receive. During the school holidays, this essential meal provision usually disappears, but the need for it does not.

This bill proposes to introduce a new duty on local authorities to combat holiday hunger. This may theoretically be fulfilled in one of two ways: the provision of a meal or vouchers. It is not anticipated that councils will usually choose to provide a meal themselves, though this option is available, and could be taken up where councils offer extra-curricular holiday activities, for example. It is more likely that councils will choose to provide vouchers, as they have been doing during the coronavirus school shutdown. There is an option to continue to provide cash until 30th June 2021, to allow anyone using a cash scheme to transition, but from (in practice) the summer holiday next year, only vouchers or direct provision will be available.

The quoted figure for the cost of extraordinarily extending meal provision over the summer holiday this year is £120m, equivalent to £20m per week. Spread across the 13 weeks of school holiday and one additional week of INSET days, this works out at £280m per year. As the infrastructure is for the most part already in place for this summer, the commencement is immediate.

Changes for second reading
The option to provide cash will now end on 30th June 2021, to allow any area currently using cash to transfer to vouchers or direct provision. This is to respond to members' concerns about what cash provision could be spent on.

Further restrictions have been placed on vouchers, including clarifying that they can only be spent on food and drink, and not on age-restricted items, in this context primarily alcohol.

Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doesn't solve the causes of food insecurity.

Food vouchers only solves the symptoms (and by the author's own sources only a minority of the time). It doesn't solve the cause.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Doesn't solve the causes of food insecurity.

Food vouchers only solves the symptoms (and by the author's own sources only a minority of the time). It doesn't solve the cause.
I'm sure you'll be voting for every measure to increase wages, housing quality and all of the other things that are causes then...
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm sure you'll be voting for every measure to increase wages, housing quality and all of the other things that are causes then...
If they can be shown to change the causes, yes.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In full support of this.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm a little torn on this. On the one hand, parents should be expected to look after their kids (If you can't afford them, don't have them). On the other hand, we shouldn't leave kids malnourished because their parents can't afford to feed them. Not sure how I'll vote.
Mattmars
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I support this this bill, yet believe everything more has to be done in order to address the causes of food insecurity and to solve the issue: no one should starve in 2020.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As per the debate, I support this bill as a temporary measure and look forward to the day when this country is in a fit enough state to be able to repeal the act.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
As per the debate, I support this bill as a temporary measure and look forward to the day when this country is in a fit enough state to be able to repeal the act.
Now is a good time to point out to the House that the number of children eligible for free school meals is not a fixed number, and can be reduced by making sure families make enough money to not need the provision.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Apropos my comments in the previous discussion, whilst i fully sympathise with this bill there are certain glaring issues in it, although i do note that some of the most problematic aspects have been removed, that mean i cannot in all good faith lend my support to it.
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay, the responsibility does not lie with the State to feed your child 365 days a year
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, I fully support this bill
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i would not be happy with the idea of giving cash handouts to parents who do not feed their children properly.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As per the debate, I'm going to have to vote against.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very close one! :afraid:
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Very close one! :afraid:
Assuming the Tories whip their stray MP to vote for a fundamental principle, it's neck and neck.
Keir Starmer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agree with the principle. However there is a big issue of food insecurity for people of all ages. I’d like to see proposals brought forward to help solve this.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've decided to vote against this. Food banks exist and allowing parents to become more dependent on the state than they already are would not be a good thing.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Absolute banter if this passes because a couple of members of what claims to be a centre-right government allowed it to.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (46)
23.96%
Less motivated (146)
76.04%

Watched Threads