Is it just me or do lecturers not give a **** about you?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Recently finished a foundation year. Lectures were actually so bad. One literally just read off the slides (2 hour lecture so you can imagine) and after like a few months the lecture hall went from bursting full to only a handfull of students.

Another lecturer got angry at you if you asked for help saying "just follow the steps I gave you".... Like isn't your job to help students who didn't get it from the lectures?

The other 2 were average but not very intresting. As a lecturer you should be more enthusiastic and care about your lessons

Once I said "hi" to a lecturer outside class and he looked at me all confused like wtf who is this student. Keep in my that in his classes (like 30 students) I always answered and asked questions.

To those people who are like "how are lecturers supposed to remember all the names" well how do teachers manage it in primary or secondary school?

I've seen videos on youtube of cool lecturers who are very funny and enthusiastic about what they are teaching and wished mine were too. Anyone have thoughts of similar experiences?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.
Plenty of lecturers don't care about helping or even remembering who their students are.
Then there are the vicious, entitled or perverted lecturers.
High calibre, committed, honest lecturers that care about helping most of their students are so rare.
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What subject do you study?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
it's a mixed bag. i'd say i had 3 lecturers who (i persevere to) genuinely care about me. one of them even helped me get a job.

the rest tho seemed to be paranoid about showing favouritism, so kept you at an very far length and made an effort to remind you you weren't anyone special. i understand that to an extent as i'm sure they can get into big trouble professionally if they showed favouritism to a student, but i mean i must've heard it like two dozen times.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Yes.
Plenty of lecturers don't care about helping or even remembering who their students are.
High calibre, committed, honest lecturers that care about helping most of their students are so rare.
Yea... Im pretty sure that because of the countless uni strikes, the good lecturers have left for less stressfull jobs and the only ones that remain are the ones who dont care
Anonymous #1
(Original post by karl pilkington)
What subject do you study?
Electrical Engineering. But finished the foundation year
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Joleee)
it's a mixed bag. i'd say i had 3 lecturers who (i persevere to) genuinely care about me. one of them even helped me get a job.

the rest tho seemed to be paranoid about showing favouritism, so kept you at an very far length and made an effort to remind you you weren't anyone special. i understand that to an extent as i'm sure they can get into big trouble professionally if they showed favouritism to a student, but i mean i must've heard it like two dozen times.
I mean I'm not asking to be the lecturers favourite, I just want them to be more enthusiastic about their jobs. And to remember names.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel the same to be honest, my course wasnt even that big and the lecturers hardly cared so goodness knows what it is like in larger classes.
In first year i had a really nice tutor, unfortunately he left half way through second year. In final year there was another nice one but the other two that stayed throughout the course were pretty horrible tbh. One of them was really sarcastic and would make sexist comments, the other always made you feel like you were taking up her time and was incredibly variable in terms of mood. Both of them made me feel like my diagnosed and valid MH problems were made up and that i just wasnt trying hard enough.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the problem with the university model is that great researchers are often crap teachers and worse human beings

There is a drive in HE now to try and address this by making lecturers do teaching quals, but a lot of them take the cop-out of HEA accreditation so yknow

I hasten to add that you do sometimes drop on. My dept was top drawer in this respect.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Yes.
I got along well with at least half of my lecturers. I won't say... they all necessarily made the same impression on me when teaching, though. Yeah there were some who literally copied text out of wikipedia into the lecture slides. lol
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think a lot depends on the course. My first degree I studied biology and the most lecturers didn't give a toss about us. They just gave the lecture and went back to their actual work. My current degree is medicine and it's the complete opposite. There are more of us on this course than my first degree but I get the vibe they care about us a lot more. Keeping in mind a lot of the are clinical doctors too. I'd feel a lot more confident asking the lecturers I have now for help than the ones in my first degree.
WarwickMaths281
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't see anything wrong with it tbh. We're adults and university is meant to be mostly independent study.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In my experaince, newly hired lectures are the best.. whereas the higher up the food chain you go in deparments, the less of a **** they give.

Why? Because the better universities care far more about research then undergrad lectures.. and academics know this. They know full well that their research out-put is what will get them their next job, not their talent at making their lectures engaging, so it almost becomes a chore to do, when they really want to be getting back to the part of their job that will actually advance their career.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
It is so true. Lecturers genuinely don't even care. I once had a lecturer who assumed that I'm a foreign student and started to talk to me in a very slow and sarcastic manner... I also had another lecturer being ridiculously rude to me via email when I emailed about me having an operation during my summer examination period. I guess it is what it is. One lecturer indirectly was quite insensitive about Islam in front of the whole seminar. For my MSc this past year, I needed genuine help and reached out to my favourite modules lecturer for help (in terms of my final year project). All he had to say was, you're a postgrad student. Figure it out. But then I asked another lecturer from my previous uni when I did my BSc, and he helped me out so much.
OxMus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It varied. Most of them were very good, but there were a couple who were dull/up themselves.

I didn’t mind too much though because I simply stopped attending those particular lectures.* Problem solved.

* ie I read their books instead.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Academics are not chosen for their presentation skills, just as most managers are not chosen for their ability to manage people.
SportScience98
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Recently finished a foundation year. Lectures were actually so bad. One literally just read off the slides (2 hour lecture so you can imagine) and after like a few months the lecture hall went from bursting full to only a handfull of students.

Another lecturer got angry at you if you asked for help saying "just follow the steps I gave you".... Like isn't your job to help students who didn't get it from the lectures?

The other 2 were average but not very intresting. As a lecturer you should be more enthusiastic and care about your lessons

Once I said "hi" to a lecturer outside class and he looked at me all confused like wtf who is this student. Keep in my that in his classes (like 30 students) I always answered and asked questions.

To those people who are like "how are lecturers supposed to remember all the names" well how do teachers manage it in primary or secondary school?

I've seen videos on youtube of cool lecturers who are very funny and enthusiastic about what they are teaching and wished mine were too. Anyone have thoughts of similar experiences?
Might just be you. My lectures call me by name and are willing to help me when I'm stuck. My dissertation supervisor was great
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gjd800)
There is a drive in HE now to try and address this by making lecturers do teaching quals, but a lot of them take the cop-out of HEA accreditation so yknow
While that’s nice in theory, my experience was that the people delivering these HE/FE courses had zero personal time served doing a serious teaching load in front of a few 100 undergrads, organising a highly technical lab activity or building a new course from scratch (including all the problem sets and exam). Not entirely wasted however, the real value was actually in getting candid real time criticism of your delivery in front of an audience of fellow lecturers, along with a video autopsy. Nothing like a bit of brutal on-point peer review to get you to sharpen up your act, always be aware of how you place yourself relative to the boards and screens, number everything, watch for weird shadows in LT3 that make the top left corner invisible, never write facing a board for more than 20 seconds without spinning round and re-engaging with the audience, etc.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

It depends but imo the main role of the lecturer is to deliver the information to a group of students in a way that highlights the main points. Manners costs nothing.
That said they arent teachers and its unfair to expect them to remember the names of all students.
The person to help you with your studies is your tutor or when you are working in seminars.

Maybe its the place you chose to do foundation?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
While that’s nice in theory, my experience was that the people delivering these HE/FE courses had zero personal time served doing a serious teaching load in front of a few 100 undergrads, organising a highly technical lab activity or building a new course from scratch (including all the problem sets and exam). Not entirely wasted however, the real value was actually in getting candid real time criticism of your delivery in front of an audience of fellow lecturers, along with a video autopsy. Nothing like a bit of brutal on-point peer review to get you to sharpen up your act, always be aware of how you place yourself relative to the boards and screens, number everything, watch for weird shadows in LT3 that make the top left corner invisible, never write facing a board for more than 20 seconds without spinning round and re-engaging with the audience, etc.
I also find that some of the more long-in-the-tooth academics with teaching commitments really struggle to accept that the spectrum of ability is far, far wider now than it used to be, and teaching has to cover a much wider ability spectrum to enable the weaker students to access the work. Most of these students wouldn't have even been there ten years ago, but lecturers have to scaffold so much more now, and cover remedial material that would have ordinarily been covered at Level 3 or earlier. The old geezers with the Death By Powerpoint mentality simple aren't willing to accept this fact, or change their approach.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (51)
13.46%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (51)
13.46%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (142)
37.47%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (41)
10.82%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (73)
19.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.54%

Watched Threads