Turn on thread page Beta

I have found such sites as http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/fun/composergame.shtml for ICT/music work but
    I am used to using Noteworthy Composer which is not free, although it's fantastic and can deal with
    giant scores, midi etc etc.

Are there any free progs out there (apart from Finale) that handle midi music so that they can be
    loaded, played and edited as real notated music please? I want to use them in school with the year 5
    & 6 children but without breaking the copyright agreements and without spending what's left of my
    2002/2003 budget!.

I have looked at the new free version of Finale Notepad 2002 but it still has its own file system
    and won't handle midi files.

I am also interested in finding a free and simple music sequencer prog for the Windows computers.
    Any ideas please? The BBC did a free cdrom awhile ago and it had a simple sequencer on it but it
    wasn't copyright free ;-((

Many thanks

Komputer Kid wrote in message ...

[q1]>Are there any free progs out there (apart from Finale) that handle midi music so that they can be[/q1]
    [q1]>loaded, played and edited as real notated music please? I want to use them in school with the year[/q1]
    [q1]>5 & 6 children but without breaking the copyright agreements and without spending what's left of my[/q1]
    [q1]>2002/2003 budget!.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

We have a site licence for Capella 2002 - it's cheap and cheerful, quite easy to use (very similar,
    in some ways, to Sibelius) and seems to handle most things in its own little way!

StJohn

I have found it at £119 for a single user from a u.k. firm.

"Komputer Kid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> I have found such sites as http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/fun/composergame.shtml for ICT/music[/q1]
    [q1]> work but[/q1]
    I
    [q1]> am used to using Noteworthy Composer which is not free, although it's fantastic and can deal with[/q1]
    [q1]> giant scores, midi etc etc.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Are there any free progs out there (apart from Finale) that handle midi music so that they can be[/q1]
    [q1]> loaded, played and edited as real notated music please? I want to use them in school with the year[/q1]
    [q1]> 5 & 6 children but without breaking the copyright agreements and without spending what's left of[/q1]
    [q1]> my 2002/2003 budget!.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I have looked at the new free version of Finale Notepad 2002 but it still has its own file system[/q1]
    [q1]> and won't handle midi files.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I am also interested in finding a free and simple music sequencer prog for the Windows computers.[/q1]
    [q1]> Any ideas please? The BBC did a free cdrom awhile ago and it had a simple sequencer on it but it[/q1]
    [q1]> wasn't copyright free ;-(([/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Many thanks[/q1]

"Komputer Kid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]> I have found such sites as http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/fun/composergame.shtml for ICT/music[/q1]
    [q1]> work but[/q1]
    I
    [q1]> am used to using Noteworthy Composer which is not free, although it's fantastic and can deal with[/q1]
    [q1]> giant scores, midi etc etc.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Are there any free progs out there (apart from Finale) that handle midi music so that they can be[/q1]
    [q1]> loaded, played and edited as real notated music please? I want to use them in school with the year[/q1]
    [q1]> 5 & 6 children but without breaking the copyright agreements and without spending what's left of[/q1]
    [q1]> my 2002/2003 budget!.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I have looked at the new free version of Finale Notepad 2002 but it still has its own file system[/q1]
    [q1]> and won't handle midi files.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I am also interested in finding a free and simple music sequencer prog for the Windows computers.[/q1]
    [q1]> Any ideas please? The BBC did a free cdrom awhile ago and it had a simple sequencer on it but it[/q1]
    [q1]> wasn't copyright free ;-(([/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Many thanks[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    I use a program called Encore. It's made by passport media. The version I use was 'given' to me by a
    colleague. Passport have been bought by someone else, and they've released a new version called
    Encore 5. Encore is much better than any other program I have used for Music (emagic etc.). Not sure
    how much encore costs, but I could email you a copy if you want to try it out (it's only little).

what price was it approx please ???

"StJohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Komputer Kid wrote in message ...[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> >Are there any free progs out there (apart from Finale) that handle midi music so that they can be[/q2]
    [q2]> >loaded, played and edited as real notated music please? I want to use them in school with the[/q2]
    [q2]> >year 5 & 6 children but without breaking the copyright agreements and without spending what's[/q2]
    left
    [q2]> >of my 2002/2003 budget!.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> We have a site licence for Capella 2002 - it's cheap and cheerful, quite easy to use (very[/q1]
    [q1]> similar, in some ways, to Sibelius) and seems to handle most things in its own little way![/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> StJohn[/q1]

Komputer Kid wrote in message ...
    [q1]>what price was it approx please ???[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

I'll have to look it up in school sometime this week - I can remember that the upgrade from Capella
    2000 to Capella 2002 was something stupid like £89.

There were certainly big discounts for educational use. I'll post the actual cost when I have found
    the invoices!

Singe

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.