Can anyone recommend a cheap ( and I mean CHEAP) mobile phone?

Watch
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My son is hopefully off to uni in Sept. Wants me to have a mobile phone, as i've never had one and he thinks it will be useful for me to have. I'm not into Apps or anything like that. The most I would use it for is making calls and sending/receiving text messages. One for around £50.00 would be more than enough to spend. Must be pay as you go, too. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by markova21)
My son is hopefully off to uni in Sept. Wants me to have a mobile phone, as i've never had one and he thinks it will be useful for me to have. I'm not into Apps or anything like that. The most I would use it for is making calls and sending/receiving text messages. One for around £50.00 would be more than enough to spend. Must be pay as you go, too. Any suggestions? Thanks.
£50 is way overpriced for calls and text messages. You should be able to get something below £25. I paid £5 for one last time I was in the UK and it didn't have vibrate which I didn't realize, so check for that, otherwise you can easily get one cheap. Mine was fine for calling and texting though.
bluewolf21
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What network would you want to be on, or is this not an issue?
markova21
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluewolf21)
What network would you want to be on, or is this not an issue?
02, I think.
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
02, I think.
Would you want a smartphone, or a you happy with a feature phone.

Both can do the tasks that you've listed, though a smartphone also allows you to do stuff on the internet like apps.
Pinkavocadosx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
An Alcatel 1 is within that price range but if your not looking for a smartphone there are nokias around £20 . You could also try second hand
markova21
Rep:
?
Would you want a smartphone, or a you happy with a feature phone.

Both can do the tasks that you've listed, though a smartphone also allows you to do stuff on the internet like apps.
I don't think i'd be interested in a smartphone. My son might try and persuade me that I cannot live without one, but i've done alright so far !!
markova21
Rep:
?
Are Nokias not the really c rap ones that used to catch fire? Or are they not like that anymore?
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think i'd be interested in a smartphone. My son might try and persuade me that I cannot live without one, but i've done alright so far !!
Probably this Alcatel for £5 then.
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are Nokias not the really c rap ones that used to catch fire? Or are they not like that anymore?
That was the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - and it was generally that one phone that had major issues.
markova21
Rep:
?
Probably this Alcatel for £5 then.
Gosh, that IS cheap and cheerful !!
markova21
Rep:
?
That was the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - and it was generally that one phone that had major issues.
PRSOM
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nokia were never like that, in fact their most famous handset the 3310 was so durable and reliable that it became a meme.
markova21
Rep:
?
My son has just suggested I get a Nokia 1 Plus. Is this good? I haven't got a clue.( Dinosaur).
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My son has just suggested I get a Nokia 1 Plus. Is this good? I haven't got a clue.( Dinosaur).
Honestly for around the £80 of the Nokia 1 Plus you can get a much better phone. For an extra £20, you can get the Moto E6s, which while not an overly great phone, is still a much better phone for not too much more cash.
markova21
Rep:
?
Honestly for around the £80 of the Nokia 1 Plus you can get a much better phone. For an extra £20, you can get the Moto E6s, which while not an overly great phone, is still a much better phone for not too much more cash.
Thanks. I REALLY don't want to spend too much money though. Me, my son and my sister between us, are having to pay the first year of tuition fees for my son ( £4,395), and also will have to give him money each week to live on while at uni, as he will get no tuition fee loan for the first year or any money to live on; just money to pay for his uni accommodation. So the least I can spend on a phone the better, as I will have far more important things to be spending money on !
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks. I REALLY don't want to spend too much money though. Me, my son and my sister between us, are having to pay the first year of tuition fees for my son ( £4,395), and also will have to give him money each week to live on while at uni, as he will get no tuition fee loan for the first year or any money to live on; just money to pay for his uni accommodation. So the least I can spend on a phone the better, as I will have far more important things to be spending money on !
Yeah, I completely understand, I've never really wanted to spend more than a couple hundred quid on a phone myself as all phones as I've got better things to spend my money on, and that's just me.

For the same price as the 1 Plus, you can get term[/s]nokia%201.3:2:27:1]the 1.3 which for the same price is still a much better phone, and is probably the cheapest I'd recommend going before you start That said, I'd still probably want to pay that little bit more for the Moto as it is still a better phone - you can get it for £90 on O2 which should hopefully dampen the blow. If you really don't want to pay more, then I'd probably pick up the Moto E6 Plus which is basically the same phone as the e6s, only with a different finish on the back.
markova21
Rep:
?
Yeah, I completely understand, I've never really wanted to spend more than a couple hundred quid on a phone myself as all phones as I've got better things to spend my money on, and that's just me.

For the same price as the 1 Plus, you can get term[/s]nokia%201.3:2:27:1]the 1.3 which for the same price is still a much better phone, and is probably the cheapest I'd recommend going before you start That said, I'd still probably want to pay that little bit more for the Moto as it is still a better phone - you can get it for £90 on O2 which should hopefully dampen the blow. If you really don't want to pay more, then I'd probably pick up the Moto E6 Plus which is basically the same phone as the e6s, only with a different finish on the back.
Many thanks for your help. I'll talk them over with Sean tomorrow.
markova21
Rep:
?
My son picked out for me, and I bought today, the alcatel 1B. Seems like a nice phone. My son has shown me the basics of how it works, but it will take me some time to get used to all the features.
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My son picked out for me, and I bought today, the alcatel 1B. Seems like a nice phone. My son has shown me the basics of how it works, but it will take me some time to get used to all the features.
Enjoy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads