The Student Room Group

When will people be able to book driving tests again

I can't get lessons at the moment because no one will take me but how long will it be until they might be able to and when I then could do my practical driving test
Reply 1
Probably about 2 months
Reply 2
Original post by drivestudent
I can't get lessons at the moment because no one will take me but how long will it be until they might be able to and when I then could do my practical driving test

Depending on where you live you should be able to get lessons. I’m in London and I’ve been taking lessons with a new instructor after lockdown and I know RED and BSM were accepting too in my area. When it comes to the driving test- that might take a while. They are giving priority to those who had their test cancelled due to lockdown.
If you are a critical worker - you can book a test now and will be given priority, if you can't book online ring the DVSA help-line and tell them you're a critical worker. However you should be able to book this on line by telling them you're a critical worker.

If you had a test booked prior to lockdown you will be able to book once you received an email regarding your cancelled test asking you to rebook. To be clear there is no requirement to rebook at the same test centre you had your original test at so if yours is not open - you can go to a different one. If you do not pass this test, you will not be prioritised for future tests and will need to wait for the backlog of tests to clear before taking your test again which could be 2-3 months or more. So it's vitally important only to book your test if you are 100% confident you will pass it.....

If you did not have a test booked prior to lockdown you will have to wait for the entire Covid-19 related test backlog to clear before testing is opened before taking your test. This likely to be at least 3 months, but could be longer as critical worker tests will also be scheduled in between deferred pre-lockdown tests. With general driving lessons having now restarted it's worth remembering that as well as all those who need tests for the first time, or didn't have one booked before lockdown, everybody who failed a lockdown deferred test will be thrown in with that - at a rough estimate with 490,000 deferred tests somewhere in the region of 240,000 tests - so it's likely even once the backlog is cleared for Covid, between new learners and failed tests you could be facing significant waiting times to retake your test.

Quick Reply

Latest