sujana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am planning to study Physics (or Geology i am thinking of changing my course if I can) in Royal Holloway. I was wondering what's the male to female ratio in Physics (and Geology too!) in Royal Holloway. I dont really care at the end because in my physics class there were only one girl alongside me who actually did Alevel physics with about 18 other boys. So I am kinda used to it but I am scared that things are more intense in uni and I have heard stories of women struggling in STEM subjects during Uni due to heavy sexism and stereotyping from men. So yh, if anyone can answer. As a brown asian women,I am really nervous about it
L'anatra.M
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sujana)
Hi, I am planning to study Physics (or Geology i am thinking of changing my course if I can) in Royal Holloway. I was wondering what's the male to female ratio in Physics (and Geology too!) in Royal Holloway. I dont really care at the end because in my physics class there were only one girl alongside me who actually did Alevel physics with about 18 other boys. So I am kinda used to it but I am scared that things are more intense in uni and I have heard stories of women struggling in STEM subjects during Uni due to heavy sexism and stereotyping from men. So yh, if anyone can answer. As a brown asian women,I am really nervous about it
They often state it on the department website. If nut try emailing them?
sujana
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'anatra.M)
They often state it on the department website. If nut try emailing them?
I have tried but couldn't find anything. I am hoping to get some info from students who are already studying these courses to RH
L'anatra.M
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have tried but couldn't find anything. I am hoping to get some info from students who are already studying these courses to RH
I'll have a look now but maybe just email them? Hopefully one of the uni reps will find the thread though and can answer 🙂
L'anatra.M
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/royal-...0-02e22c3d0ac2

Here, on here it says 70% guys, 30% girls. Not brilliant by all means but you certainly shouldn't be the only girl. 😬
L'anatra.M
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I say that's bad but turns out my uni is even worse. 1/4 are girls.... Great 😂
WestLdnStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For geology it says 56% male and 44% female. Im hopefully going to study environmental geoscience in rhul in 2020 btw. When I went for an aplicant visit day to the department, it was very mixed. I didnt see a difference much say in ratio of girls to boys.

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/royal-...1-9939c5c7381f
sujana
Rep:
?
(Original post by WestLdnStudent)
For geology it says 56% male and 44% female. Im hopefully going to study environmental geoscience in rhul in 2020 btw. When I went for an aplicant visit day to the department, it was very mixed. I didnt see a difference much say in ratio of girls to boys.

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/royal-...1-9939c5c7381f
Thanks. Hopefully, I will be able to change my courses. Seems unlikely because RH wasnt either my first or insurance choice but they sent me a postcard and gave me a special hotline to contact them on results day for clearing. Apparently they would love to have me but you know I am nervous as hell. Maybe I will even see ya haha
WestLdnStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks. Hopefully, I will be able to change my courses. Seems unlikely because RH wasnt either my first or insurance choice but they sent me a postcard and gave me a special hotline to contact them on results day for clearing. Apparently they would love to have me but you know I am nervous as hell. Maybe I will even see ya haha
Hopefully I will see you there then 🤟 the earth science department is amazing. Everyones so friendly but also good at their own work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
14.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.53%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (125)
36.76%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (34)
10%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.29%

Watched Threads