Obsessed with stalking people

Watch
anonymous_1_1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have a really unhealthy obsession with internet stalking others and comparing every aspect of my life to these people and it's got to the stage where I just want some advice how to stop myself from doing this because I know how creepy and weird it is! I'm a quite, unassuming person and no one would ever suspect this kind of behaviour from me and I'm too afraid to admit it to anyone because of how embarrassing it has become. I'm quietly a very competitive person and I always hate the feeling that anyone is doing anything better than me particularly when it comes to sports/social life/academics. I idolise particular people who I want to be like, I've convinced myself that I should be more like them and I become obsessed with finding out about their lives, who they're friends with, how fast they run, what awards they have won, where they live, what their family do. It's not just stalking on social media but actively googling their names, finding out whereabouts they're from, what school they went to, anything about them that I can compare to myself. It's like some form of validation, I have this obsessive need to compare every aspect of their lives to mine. I know just how unhealthy, selfish and downright creepy this habit is but I just can't stop. I spend so much time researching the lives of these people and it's becoming all-consuming I wish I could just focus on the things that matter and be an ordinary person who isn't so obsessed with the lives of others! Please don't judge I'm genuinely looking for advice.
Advertisement
username5301604
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by anonymous_1_1)
I have a really unhealthy obsession with internet stalking others and comparing every aspect of my life to these people and it's got to the stage where I just want some advice how to stop myself from doing this because I know how creepy and weird it is! I'm a quite, unassuming person and no one would ever suspect this kind of behaviour from me and I'm too afraid to admit it to anyone because of how embarrassing it has become. I'm quietly a very competitive person and I always hate the feeling that anyone is doing anything better than me particularly when it comes to sports/social life/academics. I idolise particular people who I want to be like, I've convinced myself that I should be more like them and I become obsessed with finding out about their lives, who they're friends with, how fast they run, what awards they have won, where they live, what their family do. It's not just stalking on social media but actively googling their names, finding out whereabouts they're from, what school they went to, anything about them that I can compare to myself. It's like some form of validation, I have this obsessive need to compare every aspect of their lives to mine. I know just how unhealthy, selfish and downright creepy this habit is but I just can't stop. I spend so much time researching the lives of these people and it's becoming all-consuming I wish I could just focus on the things that matter and be an ordinary person who isn't so obsessed with the lives of others! Please don't judge I'm genuinely looking for advice.
:console:
Have you considered therapy? it can be quite insightful and help you know why you act the way you do, and how to tackle it.
username5301604
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
And I think you should stop blaming yourself, only makes matters worse, I am sure. There are probably deeper-seated psychological reasons and memories tied to your behaviour as opposed to just "creepiness". acceptance of any bad habit and forgiving yourself, as opposed to resisting and blaming, is always the best way to start tackling things. :hugs:
Last edited by username5301604; 5 months ago
Advertisement
valenctine
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by anonymous_1_1)
Please do not feel ashamed of yourself because you are seeking advice for something we are all guilty of, something I’m heavily guilty of. Sadly, we live in a society where we are forced to look at how ‘amazing’ everyone’s lives are, lived by people who present themselves as the epitome of perfection. Yet, they truly aren’t. It’s so easy to put on a mask of luxury, amazing relationships, clothes, houses, etc. But it’s all just a facade, and I know that it’s so toxic that it only appears as a poisoning reality to those of us who view it but it is not reality.

Those people are only showing the parts of their life they want you to see, which isn’t even a true fragment of the whole picture. To me this is a self destructive behaviour, don’t be ashamed please because we all have them! Someone once said (an influencer i can’t remember) whilst joking, “if you didn’t gram it then it never happened”. Today that is true. We live our lives through social media because it seems to be the only way. But it honestly isn’t. Your problem will be so hard to break but you can do it because I did it.

DELETE EVERYTHING. YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, anything social just delete it because you don’t need it, truly. Try and recognise what triggers this behaviour? What times of the day are you most likely to go on a stalking/ comparing spree? Figure this out and then begin to replace this behaviour with something positive that you enjoy. Reading? Writing? Watching ur fav series? Pick up a new hobby. But as hard as deleting social media is you must do it.

I used to spend hours at night in bed going from person to person. Torturing myself wondering why I didn’t have the life that these people were portraying. But as you are now, you figure out that there’s no point harming yourself and wasting life when you could be living in it.

Behind the social media facades we are all desperate. trying to portray a life that no one has and milling ourselves in the process. Social media is a parasite.

I truly wish you the best and send my best wishes in your growth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
56.03%
I don't have everything I need (255)
43.97%

Watched Threads