The Student Room Group

Clearing and asking my firm to release me

What time can I add clearing spaces onto ucas? My teacher said I will be able to put 6 down in the evening or will I be able to add them earlier? Do I have to call the uni before adding the spaces? I want to ask my firm uni to release me into clearing as I no longer want to be on that course and need to be closer to home as my dad is sick. My teacher told me to do it this week but I’m worried about the risk.
Original post by Hhfryuijbb
What time can I add clearing spaces onto ucas? My teacher said I will be able to put 6 down in the evening or will I be able to add them earlier? Do I have to call the uni before adding the spaces? I want to ask my firm uni to release me into clearing as I no longer want to be on that course and need to be closer to home as my dad is sick. My teacher told me to do it this week but I’m worried about the risk.

once you have a confirmed place then you can release yourself. your teacher is wrong, you put one choice in that is your final decision once you have spoken to the university and they have given you an offer, normally over the phone. you can add it on from 3pm on results day.

You no longer need to call your firm (or your insurance if you end up placed there) to get them to release you - on results day there will be a 'decline my place' button on Track which will place you into clearing. You can add a clearing choice from 10am tomorrow if you're in Scotland or from 3pm on A level results day if you're waiting for those.

You will need to call up unis or use their online form if they have one, in order to get an offer before entering it on Track.

As others have said, you can use the decline my place function on UCAS to be released once you get your results.

You probably won't be able to get a clearing offer until you have done this, so there is a risk you may end up with no place BUT if you need to be closer to home, would you be able to take up your original place anyway? It's very likely you will be able to get an offer for something, but it may not be your first choice.

You can call as many unis as you like and get as many verbal offers as you like, but you can only add one choice on UCAS track, from 3pm on results day.
Is your firm choice conditional or unconditional?

The decline my place option is only available if your firm is unconditional on track.

If your offer is still conditional then you do need to speak to your firm choice to let them know that you no longer want to study there. That way they can fast track either confirming your place (so you can decline into clearing) or rejecting you if you miss your offer conditions (and not delaying things be making alternative course offers or leaving you waiting).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending