The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Ask me anything about university life!

Hey,

I have just completed my first year at Reading University doing Biological Sciences.
I am a part of the pole fitness society at Reading and am on committee this year, I lived in halls for my first year but have just moved into a house with some friends.
I don't drink alcohol and am vegan, I have also dealt with mental health issues both before and during university and I have a disability which does affect my life at University.

If you have any questions you think I may be able to answer or would like any advice on any of the topics I have mentioned or anything else then please ask below!

I will check this thread again later today and will spend time on Friday answering anything that comes up.

Zoe
First year Biological Sciences and student ambassador
What is the best variety of sandwich you can buy in the uni SU shop?
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
I am struggling to choose between Reading and Aston through clearing for accounting and finance as they are quite similarly ranked and regarded. I am worried about Reading being TEF silver though compared to Aston's Gold for teaching quality. Do the entry requirements drop in clearing?
Original post by KaptainCliff
What is the best variety of sandwich you can buy in the uni SU shop?

Hey,

There are so many options! Within the SU itself we have bagel man who does an amazing vegan burger, then the restaurant Mondial within the SU has a really good vegan nacho option. There are many more options dotted around the university but my absolute favourite is from the library cafe. They have a panini with med veg and a lush vegan cheese. Highly recommend that one,

I clearly eat too much food on campus but there are so many amazing optiobns.

Zoe
Original post by Anonymous
I am struggling to choose between Reading and Aston through clearing for accounting and finance as they are quite similarly ranked and regarded. I am worried about Reading being TEF silver though compared to Aston's Gold for teaching quality. Do the entry requirements drop in clearing?

Hey!

It is possible that the requirements will change during clearing, I cannot guarantee this will happen but I know people who it did happen for.

Also bear in mind when it comes to university you end up doing a lot more independent learning for example for my course specifically for every lecture hour I do 4-5 hours of work independently. So whilst the quality of teaching does matter your ability to work independently matters so much more! I hope that makes sense.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

Zoe
Do you have to do a lot of reading at Reading? Is it compulsory?
Original post by UniofReading
Hey!

It is possible that the requirements will change during clearing, I cannot guarantee this will happen but I know people who it did happen for.

Also bear in mind when it comes to university you end up doing a lot more independent learning for example for my course specifically for every lecture hour I do 4-5 hours of work independently. So whilst the quality of teaching does matter your ability to work independently matters so much more! I hope that makes sense.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

Zoe

Hi Zoe, Thanks so much for replying! How are you finding your time at Reading? Would you recommend it? What are the things you like most about it and what would you say is not so good? Also any idea if it is open for visiting the campus before results day?
Hi Zoe, Thanks so much for replying! How are you finding your time at Reading? Would you recommend it? What are the things you like most about it and what would you say is not so good? Also any idea if it is open for visiting the campus before results day?

I can honestly say I really am enjoying my time at Reading. I love the campus itself, the ducks i get to see on my way to a 9am make it so much easier to get up! I love the student union, the nights there are some of the best i have ever had but they also do so many other cool events such as a quiz night which is a great laugh. I love the pastoral side of Reading, we have an entire building dedicated to it and they can help with almost anything from careers advice, to part time jobs to counselling services. I really feel like I have someone to go to when I have an issue.

The campus is open to the general public as there are some really lovely walks around the campus.

Good luck with your results today!
Do you have to do a lot of reading at Reading? Is it compulsory?

Hi!

This will depend on the course and each module. For first year for example I had recommended reading for most modules which wasn't essential but helped and for a couple of modules I had essential reading which did come up in exams. However I know next year almost every module with have reading assigned to it and it is important to do this to help with your knowledge and understanding. For me however it rarely seems like a chore -that seems really dull I know- but I love my course and the modules I have chosen.
Hi!

This will depend on the course and each module. For first year for example I had recommended reading for most modules which wasn't essential but helped and for a couple of modules I had essential reading which did come up in exams. However I know next year almost every module with have reading assigned to it and it is important to do this to help with your knowledge and understanding. For me however it rarely seems like a chore -that seems really dull I know- but I love my course and the modules I have chosen.

Gosh that does sound like a lot. Maybe they should change the name of the university to the University of reading. Just a thought :dontknow:
Gosh that does sound like a lot. Maybe they should change the name of the university to the University of reading. Just a thought :dontknow:

Ahaha, it does get confusing sometimes with the name thing!

To be honest from what I know of other Univeristies it is very comparable. You are expected to do the majority of your learning independently at Uni. This will mostly come from reading textbooks in first year and then academic literature as you move through the course!

Zoe
Ahaha, it does get confusing sometimes with the name thing!

To be honest from what I know of other Univeristies it is very comparable. You are expected to do the majority of your learning independently at Uni. This will mostly come from reading textbooks in first year and then academic literature as you move through the course!

Zoe

Ah okay gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

With Reading being in Berkshire (and reading at Reading being mandatory), can you take a dog to your lecture?
Ah okay gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

With Reading being in Berkshire (and reading at Reading being mandatory), can you take a dog to your lecture?

Hey!
I know of service dogs who have attended lectures, but as for pet dogs I honestly am not sure! I have never seen or heard of one in a lecture, but with some next term's lectures being online I am sure dogs can attend virtually with you!

Zoe
Biological sciences and student ambassador
Hey!
I know of service dogs who have attended lectures, but as for pet dogs I honestly am not sure! I have never seen or heard of one in a lecture, but with some next term's lectures being online I am sure dogs can attend virtually with you!

Zoe
Biological sciences and student ambassador

Right okay, I wasn't sure if the namesake of Berkshire permitted barking dogs to be in attendance too. If lectures are going to be virtual, does that mean some SU societies are going to be virtual too?

For instance, can I attend Karate club virtually? Or curling club?
would you recommend buying physical textbooks? or getting them from the library/online pdf versions?
would you recommend buying physical textbooks? or getting them from the library/online pdf versions?

Hey!

Personally during first year I didn't buy a single textbook. I used the library, found some PDF versions of textbooks online and just made do! I think every course will be different and every person will be different but that's my experience!
There is a book store on campus which has really competitive prices and it is always worth looking out for people selling second hand text books if you do want to buy!

Zoe
First year Biological sciences and student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest