The Student Room Group

dental school admisioons help!

i was looking at which universites does not require uckat and it said birmangham. it said and i quote "Birmingham, Bristol and Liverpool dental schools do not require admission tests and the rest use the UKCAT" what exactly does this mean? does this mean if a apply for dentistry at birminngham liverpool or leeeds, i dont need to do the uckat?
help would be much appreciated!
also whats the differece between ukcat and ucat? do i take both?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by louise234brown
i was looking at which universites does not require uckat and it said birmangham. it said and i quote "Birmingham, Bristol and Liverpool dental schools do not require admission tests and the rest use the UKCAT" what exactly does this mean? does this mean if a apply for dentistry at birminngham liverpool or leeeds, i dont need to do the uckat?

Hi! The UKCAT and the UCAT are the same thing. They have just changed the name in the last year or so but you will sit only have to sit one exam don’t worry. I would suggest that you take a look at the university websites, rather than trusting external websites as they can be misinformed. Birmingham, Liverpool and Bristol do require the UCAT. Leeds however uses the BMAT and as far as I know it is the only university that does so for dentistry :smile:
I'm pretty sure UKCAT Is UCAT just renamed from < to > Most medical schools & dental schools require UCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT or atleast some sort of entry exam. It's best to look at all the dental schools/medical schools and see their own individual requirements.
Your chances are more wider if you take UCAT as most use this.
What A level grades do you have?

all dental schools require you to take the UCAT (which is the same as UKCAT but they just changed the name that's all) when applying. It's up to them after that whether they heavily look at your UCAT score when choosing candidates for interviews.
Original post by themagics1992
I'm pretty sure UKCAT Is UCAT just renamed from < to > Most medical schools & dental schools require UCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT or atleast some sort of entry exam. It's best to look at all the dental schools/medical schools and see their own individual requirements.
Your chances are more wider if you take UCAT as most use this.
What A level grades do you have?

i have AAA for my as grades but im only in year 12. im abit confused do we take the ukcat in year 13 or year 12 summer?
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Hi! The UKCAT and the UCAT are the same thing. They have just changed the name in the last year or so but you will sit only have to sit one exam don’t worry. I would suggest that you take a look at the university websites, rather than trusting external websites as they can be misinformed. Birmingham, Liverpool and Bristol do require the UCAT. Leeds however uses the BMAT and as far as I know it is the only university that does so for dentistry :smile:

thank you for taking your time to reply. i was just curoius as the internet said they dont require admission tests.
i have AAA for my as grades but im only in year 12. im abit confused do we take the ukcat in year 13 or year 12 summer?

You need to go online and book yours. You can book it up until the 2nd October I believe, but you have to do it this year :smile:
thank you for taking your time to reply. i was just curoius as the internet said they dont require admission tests.

No problem! Other websites can sometimes have information that’s either wrong or not updated so it’s always best to check with the uni website

Quick Reply