Aimeeliuuuu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I used to want to apply for dentistry for uni and had already started a UCAT course, but I have changed my mind to biomedical science as the course gives me a wider career path. There is a possibility that I would study dentistry after Biomed degree. I was just wondering whether UCAT is helpful towards my Biomed application or not? Should I continue to take the UCAT exam?
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't believe the UCAT will be of any help for biomed. Also, unis would only get your UCAT if you actually apply to dentistry so unless you put your score onto your UCAS yourself, they wouldn't even see your score. But I don't think it's worth taking it if you're not applying to dentistry.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You don’t need the UCAT to apply for biomedical science.

Also be aware that it is more competitive to get into dentistry via graduate entry than it is via undergrad (which is highly competitive in its own right) - so I wouldn’t pin large amounts of hope on that method.
Aimeeliuuuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily5243)
I don't believe the UCAT will be of any help for biomed. Also, unis would only get your UCAT if you actually apply to dentistry so unless you put your score onto your UCAS yourself, they wouldn't even see your score. But I don't think it's worth taking it if you're not applying to dentistry.
OK! Thank you very much!:P
Aimeeliuuuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
You don’t need the UCAT to apply for biomedical science.

Also be aware that it is more competitive to get into dentistry via graduate entry than it is via undergrad (which is highly competitive in its own right) - so I wouldn’t pin large amounts of hope on that method.
Thanks!!
Loreto2018
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I agree with the previous post, Graduate entry dentistry is extremely competitive with a 10:1 ratio of applicants and accepted places, but if you really want to go down this route you MUST have a back-up option. If you definitely want to do dentistry, then you are much better off doing the standard undergrad course which saves you both time and money.
Aimeeliuuuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Loreto2018)
I agree with the previous post, Graduate entry dentistry is extremely competitive with a 10:1 ratio of applicants and accepted places, but if you really want to go down this route you MUST have a back-up option. If you definitely want to do dentistry, then you are much better off doing the standard undergrad course which saves you both time and money.
Thank you very much for your advice!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
18.89%
I'm not sure (2)
2.22%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (25)
27.78%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.33%
I'm not a current university student (43)
47.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise