Turn on thread page Beta

How To Make A Website? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering how can i make a website! On that website I can use Google Adsense and do some other things to make money. Can someone please tell me.

ReputationRep:
    Learn HTML, PHP etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just making a website and putting ads on it won't make you money, you need to actually have visitors. And most free hosting sites don't allow ads, so you'd need to pay for hosting too.

ReputationRep:
    W3School's web building tutorials are still unrivaled, I believe. Start with learning how to produce valid HTML. Afterwards, CSS and XHTML.

It's essential that you have a solid understanding of how the Web works and to have some programming abilities (if you get around to using web scripting languages such as PHP (recommended!), so do not take the advice of anyone who tells you to get some templates and a web host. You'll be clueless.

When starting out, avoid like the plague WYSIWYG editors. They will only teach you ridiculously bad habits that are difficult to drop later on.

ReputationRep:
    It would help if you had Frontpage or Dreamweaver, but you can cope with notepad if you must. You will also need some minor knowledge of html if you have the programs I previously told you about or lots of knowledge if your using solely notepad. Once you've designed the website, you'll need a host for your files and a domain name. Both can be aquired free of charge, but these are usualy unprofessional aesthetically and in terms of organisation.

In terms of learning html, you'll find this a great place to start: http://www.w3schools.com/html/DEFAULT.asp

Good luck, and quote me if you need any help.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. I used to make a load of websites for Adsense, and it paid the rent. I've got a site now that has under 100 visitors a day and it makes £150 a month + a month.

If you can market your site well, it makes things much easier. All you need to know really is html n css.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowdeni)
    Go for it. I used to make a load of websites for Adsense, and it paid the rent. I've got a site now that has under 100 visitors a day and it makes £150 a month + a month.

If you can market your site well, it makes things much easier. All you need to know really is html n css.
    Really but how do you make money on the website is it just by google adsense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crushy)
    It would help if you had Frontpage or Dreamweaver, but you can cope with notepad if you must. You will also need some minor knowledge of html if you have the programs I previously told you about or lots of knowledge if your using solely notepad. Once you've designed the website, you'll need a host for your files and a domain name. Both can be aquired free of charge, but these are usualy unprofessional aesthetically and in terms of organisation.

In terms of learning html, you'll find this a great place to start: http://www.w3schools.com/html/DEFAULT.asp

Good luck, and quote me if you need any help.
    I know HTML but how do i create it. I know i have to buy a domain name. But there is this software called SBI and you pay like 100 pounds and they help you out with templates and all. I dont know what its called though but dont you have to pay and register somewhere and then you create the website. Im just a bit confused. Like dont i have to register with a webcreator or something

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to learn all that can't you just do it on microsoft publisher, there's a tool thingie, that's what I had to do in school years ago.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to learn all that can't you just do it on microsoft publisher, there's a tool thingie, that's what I had to do in school years ago.
    Microsoft publisher will make you ****ty webpages that don't display well. If you want to really make money and attract visitors, you'll need to at least learn HTML and CSS, probably PHP, Java, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecaterpillar)
    Microsoft publisher will make you ****ty webpages that don't display well. If you want to really make money and attract visitors, you'll need to at least learn HTML and CSS, probably PHP, Java, etc.
    How do you make money on the website?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether it's worth helping sharma104. He (it?) has ignored most relevant (and good) advice so far, and appears to be interested only in getting money out of it with minimal effort.

Good luck to you, but you're unlikely to be successful.

ReputationRep:
    How do you make money on the website?
    If you want to use something like Adsense, I'm pretty sure you need visitors to your website. That means you need to offer them something. People won't really want to visit a website that basically talks about you and your pets and your family, the users of the internet are not really that interested in that. So, you could give them something - artwork, writing, free content such as graphics or weblayouts, etc - or you could just be interesting. You might start a webcomic. You might just write interesting and engaging blogs.

Seriously though, unless you offer people something, no one will visit your site and you'll make no money. Don't make a website because you want to get money from it, make it because you've got something to say or something to give.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother making websites with Publisher. As someone else said, learn HTML/CSS at a minimum.

My revenue stems from Google Adsense, and affiliate networks such as Commission Junction and Tradedoubler.

Oh yeah, you need a *reason* for people to come to your website. If it was just as easy to make a website, then get £20 a month for it, I'd be a rich man. Unique content + traffic + good adverts = money.

ReputationRep:
    If it was just as easy to make a website, then get £20 a month for it, I'd be a rich man
    man, I wish that actually happened. x]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecaterpillar)
    I thought this was about making a simple homemade website without putting in hours and hours of work not making a moneyspinner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowdeni)
    Don't bother making websites with Publisher. As someone else said, learn HTML/CSS at a minimum.

My revenue stems from Google Adsense, and affiliate networks such as Commission Junction and Tradedoubler.

Oh yeah, you need a *reason* for people to come to your website. If it was just as easy to make a website, then get £20 a month for it, I'd be a rich man. Unique content + traffic + good adverts = money.
    I finnaly understand. Just quick question what wesite host did you use im gonna buy my domain name but dont you need a website host. I know what my website is going to be about and what im going to offer peoople

ReputationRep:
    Also, be prepared to pay to host the site. If it is successful then these are your upfront costs

Domain £10
    Serious Hosting £25 a year
    License(s), well, I pay £100 for VB

So before you make any profit, you have to break even!

I used this host, the £99 package but you won't receive heavy traffic for a while so start low.

http://www.vidahost.com/shared_hosting.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oogamy)
    I'm not sure whether it's worth helping sharma104. He (it?) has ignored most relevant (and good) advice so far, and appears to be interested only in getting money out of it with minimal effort.

Good luck to you, but you're unlikely to be successful.
    Im just new to this thing yeah! Its nota ll about making money and im ready to put in a lot of effort otherwise i would have not asked the question in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Yet another "how do i get rich fast of something that sounds easy" thread.
    Reminds me of adhi100 (sp?) thread about making £500 in a month!

if it sounds too good to be true it is.

Making websites requires hard study of quite complex langauges like html/css/php and it is 10times harder to attract the sort of visitors who will click on adverts and get you revenue.

You need a good site, with a good reason, then you tend to advertise to keep it running, if you are lucky and know what you are doing you can then turn it into profit like bowdeni seems to have, but it aint as simple as

1. make site
    2. add adsense
    3. laugh all the way to the bank

:rolleyes:

If it isn't that, then do you really think people are going to explain how to make a website step by step on this forum? that is like asking someone "how do i build a rocket ship"

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.