Windows Won't Boot Watch

halátnost
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have a problem with my laptop which has happened once before and was resolved successfully by a technician. Basically, my laptop switches on but Windows does not boot. No option of starting Windows works eg. Safe Mode, Last Known Configuration etc - they are all useless. Also occasionally the computer starts to beep.

I know that this can be resolved successfully and without loss/damage of data because, as I said, it was fixed once before a couple of years ago. This is only the second time it has ever been done. I've heard that one can reboot from a floppy disk but I don't have a disk drive on my laptop. Does anybody know how I can boot into Windows without losing data to repair Windows?

(I am not very good with computers btw). It is important as I have a lot of important data on there at the moment, and by memory is running exceedingly low, which perhaps (?) was part of the problem.

Thanks very much in advance, much appreciated.
Magnum Opus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what actually appens when u turn it on? ntldr missing?
halátnost
Rep:
?
(Original post by arisk01)
what actually appens when u turn it on? ntldr missing?
It is a black screen with the white writing as follows:

"We apologise for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this..."

It has a list of possible options of starting Windows according to what one thinks might have happened, eg. Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Commanding Prompt etc, but none of them work. However, the Windows XP Professional logo comes up and the loading bar, but it always just reboots itself. There is a split second flash of a blue screen before the reboot.
Magnum Opus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ok, put in the XP CD and do a repair
halátnost
Rep:
?
Ok, will try. You think there's a good chance it will succeed?
Magnum Opus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
probably; just put the cd in the drive, turn the pc on and boot from the cd (change bios settings if it doesnt do it straight away). Then select the repair option. It should work. Tell me the result
halátnost
Rep:
?
I'm on the BIOS settings and **** scared I will press something wrong which will completely **** the PC up and lose the data. But I'm guessing I just have to change the boot setting from Hard Drive to OS, yes? However, I should also mention at this point that I didn't have an OS XP disc so I had to download one using a programme. (My laptop doesn't have floppy disk drive).
Magnum Opus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by halátnost)
I'm on the BIOS settings and **** scared I will press something wrong which will completely **** the PC up and lose the data. But I'm guessing I just have to change the boot setting from Hard Drive to OS, yes? However, I should also mention at this point that I didn't have an OS XP disc so I had to download one using a programme. (My laptop doesn't have floppy disk drive).
ok so put the XP download onto a disc and change the boot settings to CD drive because that is where you are booting from ok? Then it should automatically go into the XP CD and you select the repair option
spikeymike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
After you've set the boot option to the CD drive, put in the CD and restart.
halátnost
Rep:
?
Hi again, thanks for your help so far both of you. Ok, so things aren't going so well. I downloaded a programme to create a bootable CD, and either the CD didn't work or the BIOS settings haven't changed, because neither solves the problem. The CD was created using BartPE softward, although I'm not convinced it worked tbh, and the BIOS settings on my computer are a little confusing, because CD drive is not listed, just Network, Hard Drive, Floppy Disk and Operating System. Is it just the latter? It's a PhoenixBIOS system and a little difficult, working from a Sony laptop. Thanks for any further input...Cheers.
halátnost
Rep:
?
I should also mention that although the programme acts as if it has written the CD, the CD always looks empty in my computer?
Magnum Opus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I should also mention that although the programme acts as if it has written the CD, the CD always looks empty in my computer?
have you tried other software to burn the iso to the CD? As for the BIOS try each setting and if it doesnt work then maybe your CD drive is dead. Does the CD drive spin?
spikeymike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi again, thanks for your help so far both of you. Ok, so things aren't going so well. I downloaded a programme to create a bootable CD, and either the CD didn't work or the BIOS settings haven't changed, because neither solves the problem. The CD was created using BartPE softward, although I'm not convinced it worked tbh, and the BIOS settings on my computer are a little confusing, because CD drive is not listed, just Network, Hard Drive, Floppy Disk and Operating System. Is it just the latter? It's a PhoenixBIOS system and a little difficult, working from a Sony laptop. Thanks for any further input...Cheers.
I like to use this
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
halátnost
Rep:
?
I got it working with an XP recovery disk. Thanks everyone for all your help and advice, much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.29%
No (730)
72.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed