Cooking at university. Watch

Alice_G
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,
I am worried about cooking at uni'. I am quite bad!!

Alice_G
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, there's plenty of help out there for you. Look in the Wiki, I'm sure there are articles on some simple recipe!
Magnum Opus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When are you starting uni? You should learn to cook through 6th form
Shadow!
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Was that just a statement?

I like men.
punktopia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All you need is a microwave and some cheap microwave meals.
tricks
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was intially worried but decided to take an active role in the kitchen at home and learn off my mum. Im still not fully confident but getting there, I'm even starting to enjoy it.:rolleyes:
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shadow!)
OUCH! :eek:

Read the article about the woman microwaving her baby, perchance?
Heavens, no.
Micky13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's all about microwave meals
Ele_B
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
live on salads and fresh foods or prepared meals for a while while you learn to cook some simple things like eggs (plenty of ways to do it, so good and so simple), meat, boiled vegetables, potatoes, a plate of pasta... it's not complicated at all! good luck
random_bloke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i've been a student for 2 years now an I've got it down to a tee, i've just ordered a takeaway :-)
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can you cook pasta? (Boil some water in a pan, pour in some pasta, and leave it to cook for 10 minutes. Test if it's cooked properly (ie not hard still!) then drain it off using a colander).

Then just cook a tin of tomatos, maybe fry some mince and put that in. You could add some sweetcorn (tinned or frozen)... maybe some chickpeas or kidney beans... or fry some onions and then add the tomatos........... it's that easy to make a basic bolagnaise type sauce for pasta :yup: Make a massive batch and freeze it into portions and you're sorted - you can have it on pasta, or rice, or a jacket potato, or with some warmed up bread.
Ele_B
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RosiePosiePuddingAndPie)
Can you cook pasta? (Boil some water in a pan, pour in some pasta, and leave it to cook for 10 minutes. Test if it's cooked properly (ie not hard still!) then drain it off using a colander).

Then just cook a tin of tomatos, maybe fry some mince and put that in. You could add some sweetcorn (tinned or frozen)... maybe some chickpeas or kidney beans... or fry some onions and then add the tomatos........... it's that easy to make a basic bolagnaise type sauce for pasta :yup: Make a massive batch and freeze it into portions and you're sorted - you can have it on pasta, or rice, or a jacket potato, or with some warmed up bread.
bolognese sauce? mmm doesn't sound like one..:erm:
Ziggy_Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get your mum to show you how to cook a few simple things. If I were you I'd start off with pasta and a sauce mix, 'cause it's nearly impossible to mess up boiling some pasta and stirring in a sauce.

Also, Asda have a free magazine that you can pick up, and there's often some reaaaally easy recipes in there that are pretty tasty too.
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ziggy_Stardust)
Get your mum to show you how to cook a few simple things. If I were you I'd start off with pasta and a sauce mix, 'cause it's nearly impossible to mess up boiling some pasta and stirring in a sauce.

Also, Asda have a free magazine that you can pick up, and there's often some reaaaally easy recipes in there that are pretty tasty too.
You'd be surpirsed! There are idiots like me who can actually manage to mess up pasta of all things! (I think I boiled off all the water, so all the pasta bits got congealed...ewww...still ate it though!)
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't either...

or iron...
ununpentium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well now is the time to follow your mum around the house and take notes!
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ele_B)
bolognese sauce? mmm doesn't sound like one..:erm:
Lol I know it's not a proper one. I've got two defences - 1) I'm veggie so what I make as a bolagnaise is actually just a mix of all sorts of things, with a tin of tomatos and 2) I was trying to make it sound really simple and easy :p:
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Em_maK)
I can't either...

or iron...
I don't even intend to take an iron with me! If you just stretch the clothes slightly while they're still wet, then hang them to dry, the creases drop out anyway :yep:
NickiM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some good websites are www.beyondbakedbeans.com, www.cookingbynumbers.com and www.lovefoodhatewaste.com

Look on video jug for video tutorials (http://www.videojug.com/tag/food-and-drink) or ask someone at home to show you.

I only ironed once in my first year at university.
蘋果
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dont worry, you'll manage when the time comes to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads