Is it 'first come first serve' ? Watch

fweefwee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, universities are required to consider all applications equally that are given before the closing date, of course. However I have been told by people that the better you hand your application in the better, as you have more chance of being made an offer because more spaces will be available on the course. So if you leave it too late you may not get a place even if you are a good candidate (you may still be writing your personal statement whereas others are being offerd palces for example)
Can anyone tell me if there is any truth in this?
Tom4510
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Obviously if you hand it in late, after the deadline, your chances of being accepted are rubbish, so yeah, its true to some extent.
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got my first offer in November by which time not everyone had applied even. I'd suggest getting it out as soon as possible. What's the point in leaving it late anyway?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Each uni/subject works differently. Southampton and Manchester were fairly quick to give me offers, but I got a letter from KCL saying that they were going to wait for every single application to come through before offering places, so I had to wait until late January to hear from them!
TSR King
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fweefwee)
Can anyone tell me if there is any truth in this?
it can only help
huangcjz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, it depends on the uni, some start giving offers before they've had all their applications in, so best to get it in asap.
chooka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A friest had his send off early october and had 4 replied before december. When the deadline is jan. So if you get it in sooner you might have a better chance.
fweefwee
Rep:
?
Would anyone be able to say what was 'late' or 'early' ? is novemeber onwards late for example?
TSR King
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Would anyone be able to say what was 'late' or 'early' ? is novemeber onwards late for example?
yes... early is september
krit_dw
Report 10 years ago
Nice thread going on here.
Anyways for medicine you need to apply early (15Oct i think), so if i want to be at an 'advantage' , i think i will have to apply early september (as soon as my A2 year starts) right?
jkyng1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
before nov is early.
nov is okay while dec or after that is late.
Sports Racer
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
If you apply early before the main rush of November, the admissions tutor will have more time to ponder over your application. Yea, sure they say 'equal consideration' but when you know you've got only a few applications to consider a day as apposed to 10 or whatever, you're so much more relaxed. Y'know?

Many universities wait until all applications are in before making offers. This is not to say that they don't look at your form, though! They may well sort applications into groups as they come in and review them after the deadline. Same principle applies as above.
fweefwee
Rep:
?
I have an open day on the 4th of october (my last one) and I wouldnt want to apply there before I visit it. Is after this date late?
Laura26
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Anything in October is early!!

With regards to the OP, yes - I was always told it is better to get it in earlier (and it probably is...mildly). I am sceptical as to how much more advantageous it is though - some unis do not make any decisions until they have most of their applications in (they wait until May sometimes...this means, if you apply in Oct, you could just be playing the waiting game for a few months) and I have a lot of friends who left it to the very last minute and still got 5 offers. Also, if getting the application in early means you do not attend open days for all the universities you are applying to/do not take enough time to think carefully about the course you want to do/what you want in a uni, then leave it later. I had to apply in October because one of my choices was Cambridge...this meant I didn't even visit York (one of my other choices)!
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I suggest getting it in early, many Universities start handing out offers immediately, I had interviews in November, and had received 3 offers well before we broke up for Christmas...the only ones I hadn't were Imperial, who never gave me an offer, and LSE who are notourious for making people wait!!

Although, I've heard if you're not apply to Oxbridge/a medic send in your application just after the oxbridge/medic deadline, as if you apply before it top unis often presume you're also applying to oxbridge and are sometimes bias as they think you view them as second best etc.
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have an open day on the 4th of october (my last one) and I wouldnt want to apply there before I visit it. Is after this date late?
I applied on the 4th of October last year. If you want to apply early, up till the end of October is good.
Davidosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The London ones and Oxbridge tend to wait for everyone apart from that it really is first come first serve
kamie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We had it explained to us at school by saying that imagine the universities give out 200 offers. If you are number 10 to apply, with a reasonably good application, they know they have at least 190 spaces left, so they are more likely to give you an offer rather than if you are number 230 to apply and they have 6 weeks to go until the deadline, but they only have 10 more offers - in that 6 weeks they need to ration out the offers as they want the best possible candidates so you are more likely not to get an offer. Hope that makes sense. If you apply before end of October, that's early (unless you're Oxbridge/a medic).
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kamie)
We had it explained to us at school by saying that imagine the universities give out 200 offers. If you are number 10 to apply, with a reasonably good application, they know they have at least 190 spaces left, so they are more likely to give you an offer rather than if you are number 230 to apply and they have 6 weeks to go until the deadline, but they only have 10 more offers - in that 6 weeks they need to ration out the offers as they want the best possible candidates so you are more likely not to get an offer. Hope that makes sense. If you apply before end of October, that's early (unless you're Oxbridge/a medic).
This seems to be based on the rather flawed presumption that the university will only give out one offer for every place they have available, though. In practice, even Oxford and Cambrdige over-offer by 5% to 10%, and the others will give out sceveral offers for every place they have available. It is common to give 600 offers for a 200 place course.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Davidosh)
The London ones and Oxbridge tend to wait for everyone apart from that it really is first come first serve
If you are going to post misleading rubbish like this then don't post at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Do you have any savings?